Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-25-2013, 10:16 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,830,486 times

Advertisements

Just two days after he returned to Wisconsin from the war, decorated Iraq War veteran, Eric Pizer, stepped into the middle of a scuffle in an alley between his friend and a jealous husband, trying to break it up.

Quote:
When (the husband) came at me from my peripheral vision, my side, he said he was going to kill me ...

“And I just instinctively reacted ‘cause I couldn’t see his hands. It was a very dark night behind a garage in an alleyway. I couldn’t see if he had something in his hands to stab me with, shoot me with, bash me with. So I just instinctively gave him a right jab.”
Quote:
the criminal justice system had begun to recognize that many crimes committed by veterans stemmed from post-traumatic stress disorder or traumatic brain injury.
Quote:
In October 2012, Pizer earned an associate degree in criminal justice from Globe University with the goal of becoming a police officer. But because he’s a felon, working in law enforcement is out of the question
Quote:
The only option Pizer and his attorneys see now is for Walker or a future governor to issue a pardon. That action would not erase the conviction but would restore Pizer’s right to possess a firearm, which he needs to become a police officer.

But the governor, who has sole discretion over pardons, is not accepting any applications.
Combat veteran seeks relief from felony conviction; Scott Walker is not issuing pardons

Way to help our troops Governor!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2013, 10:24 AM

14,888 posts, read 10,041,959 times
You'll do anything, say anything or use anything you can to bash Scott Walker because he beat you and your left wing nut job friends TWICE. It's a simple fact that you would have no problem bashing veterans if you thought you could score a couple points against WI GOVERNOR Scott Walker.

Scott Walker has done amazing things for WI and you can't stop him, deal with it.

Old 12-25-2013, 10:37 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,221,200 times
I don't see why the guy should get a pardon either. He assaulted someone, and i don't buy this stuff about "he said he was gonna kill me." Everyone says that nowadays after they assault someone with hopes that it'll get them off.

And the fact that he's a vet registers ZERO with me. I'm getting tired of all the vet worship.

I don't know anything about Scott Walker and don't care to since he's not my governor...but it's pretty obvious from the story that he's caught up in the "tough on crime" nonsense that a lot of these repub governors are still caught up in.

Old 12-25-2013, 10:50 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,500,035 times
Why is the Governor required to shoulder the responsibility for a guy returning to the U.S. and on the second day after his return uses his good judgment to go out drinking and get into a bar fight?

I would think that not having seen your family for a long time and returning from a conflict zone would preclude you from anything but wanting to spend time with only them and not a bunch of yahoos in a bar.

If the extenuating circumstances were not prevalent enough to warrant a successful appeal before the courts why should Walker extend special consideration towards this vet?

Just another vet who broke the law and must now be content with a "normal" workaday job like millions of others folks who cannot access the relatively secure positions granted to LEO's.

Old 12-25-2013, 10:57 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,221,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Why is the Governor required to shoulder the responsibility for a guy returning to the U.S. and on the second day after his return uses his good judgment to go out drinking and get into a bar fight?

I would think that not having seen your family for a long time and returning from a conflict zone would preclude you from anything but wanting to spend time with only them and not a bunch of yahoos in a bar.

If the extenuating circumstances were not prevalent enough to warrant a successful appeal before the courts why should Walker extend special consideration towards this vet?

Just another vet who broke the law and must now be content with a "normal" workaday job like millions of others folks who cannot access the relatively secure positions granted to LEO's.
Well to be fair, going out to a bar a few days after hitting CONUS isn't exactly out of the ordinary for soldiers. And getting in a bar fight isn't exactly all that difficult given what goes on at bars. It's quite easy to find oneself in a melee when you're around drunks.

But i do agree that the Gov has no obligation to consider pardoning him.

Old 12-25-2013, 11:07 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,229,680 times
I am a vet and saw my share of battle. I always side with a Vet when I can. That said I don't believe in free passes for crimes committed by anyone including a Vet. If he was suffering PTSD then he has no business in a bar complicating his problem. He assaulted a man. That is the bottom line. Did the other guy have it coming? None of us were there so who knows. The police obviously didn't think so.
Man and wife, man and girl friend get into one, call the police.
We let the Vet off and who is next?
I grew up in an abusive home. Let me off too.
I was assaulted in my youth by a guy wearing a leather jacket. Let me off too.

Old 12-25-2013, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
I am a vet and saw my share of battle. I always side with a Vet when I can. That said I don't believe in free passes for crimes committed by anyone including a Vet. If he was suffering PTSD then he has no business in a bar complicating his problem. He assaulted a man. That is the bottom line. Did the other guy have it coming? None of us were there so who knows. The police obviously didn't think so.
Man and wife, man and girl friend get into one, call the police.
We let the Vet off and who is next?
I grew up in an abusive home. Let me off too.
I was assaulted in my youth by a guy wearing a leather jacket. Let me off too.
This vet agrees 110%.

Old 12-25-2013, 11:32 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,946,153 times
OP, your post is actually more of a reason to not pardon him, so he can't become a police officer. Too many of these PTSD vets are trying to become cops, and you wonder why police brutality is higher than it ever was before (except prior to the 1960s if you were black).

Old 12-25-2013, 12:37 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,830,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
You'll do anything, say anything or use anything you can to bash Scott Walker because he beat you and your left wing nut job friends TWICE. It's a simple fact that you would have no problem bashing veterans if you thought you could score a couple points against WI GOVERNOR Scott Walker.

Scott Walker has done amazing things for WI and you can't stop him, deal with it.
Is it possible that I believe this war veteran deserves another chance in life?

BTW, what "amazing things" has Scott Walker done for WI?

Old 12-25-2013, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Is it possible that I believe this war veteran deserves another chance in life?

BTW, what "amazing things" has Scott Walker done for WI?
Is it possible? Sure. It is likely? Nope.

Be honest, if this story didn't present you with another reason to bash Scott Walker you wouldn't give it 2 seconds of thought. You hate Scott Walker because his plans have worked and he's eliminated the ability for big labor to hold the state hostage like they have for decades.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies