Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2013, 12:33 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntwrkguy1 View Post
Lol....I would prefer they don't.

Raleigh isn't all that bikeable of a city, honestly, other than downtown. The same is true with neighboring Durham, Cary, and Chapel Hill. Lots of college kids on bikes near campus, but not much "worker commuting" going on.
Then they will never be a biking city, so who cares. Though Raleigh funding and trying to put in a bike infrastructure says something different, that Raleigh would like to be more like those popular cities that are more attractive to bike commuters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2013, 01:20 PM

50,315 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntwrkguy1 View Post
Please do not encourage new taxes.

The only thing new taxes do is cause politicians to spend unwisely, because they have a new source of revenue to play with.

I live in one of the most bike-friendly areas on the East Coast, and I doubt if even 1% of the population uses their bike to commute to work, even if you factor in motorcycles and underpowered scooters. When gas prices spiked after Obama came into office, it still didn't change. I worked in a building where 3,400 other people worked, and at any given time, we had about a dozen motorcycles and 4 or 5 road bikes in the parking lot.
I work in a building of 1500. We cycle commuters know each other by first name there are so few of us. Same goes for using the gym.

Old 12-27-2013, 05:54 PM

46,963 posts, read 25,998,208 times
You guys are missing the most valuable reason to encourage bicycling:

Those are Copenhagen photos - goes a way towards explaining why the Danes are the happiest people on the planet.

Old 12-27-2013, 06:33 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,534,911 times
Absolutely! I know that the 'bikers', the funny shorts kind, justify their right to use the roads because they own a vehicle that they pay taxes on.

OK, using that criteria, I have three vehicles and pay registration, taxes, etc., on each one. But I should only pay all these fees on one vehicle, as I only drive one at a time.

Bikes and liquor cycles need to be taxed and have insurance, even if a DL is not mandated. Oh, and stop at red lights and stop signs and follow all the other traffic laws.

Old 12-27-2013, 11:26 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
You guys are missing the most valuable reason to encourage bicycling:

Those are Copenhagen photos - goes a way towards explaining why the Danes are the happiest people on the planet.
I remember once biking almost a mile out of my way because this girl in front of me had one of the most amazing butts, there are many great things about biking and that is definitely one of them.

Old 12-28-2013, 12:36 AM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
The infrastructure they are using is primarily funded through fuel taxes, if those free accommodations are not sufficient for bicycles then a tax to build new infrastructure is common sense.
Roughly 40% of road funding is derived neither from fuel taxes nor registration fees. So would you agree that bicyclists deserve access to 40% of the road?

Old 12-28-2013, 07:17 AM

6,414 posts, read 10,493,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
Perhaps it is an idea whose time has come!

News from The Associated Press

I can see a registration fee and tax, with a small, easily visible license plate for the bike. The plate could be a different color every year so it would be readily apparent if it is not the current plate.
The monies received should be limited by law to paying for bicycle friendly infrastructure. Voter approval would be required for any other expenditure.
At the same time, there should be a total enforcement effort making sure that cyclists obey the laws!
I 100% support your idea. I am a hiker and a bicyclist that also shares the road when I am doing my garden service during the weekdays in my truck. I live adjacent to a Coastal trail that runs from one end of the state of California to the other. On busy Saturdays there could be as many as a couple hundred or more bicyclists crossing the intersection in the morning and seldom if ever does a single one use the stop signs and in a six mile stretch there are only two, but still they do not stop and I was even on a bicycle team training for a charity bike ride and those people had a difficult time getting used to stopping. The rules of the 7 day bike ride from San Francisco to Santa Monica require that all bicyclists obey all laws that all cars, trucks and vehicles on California highways must follow. I started driving in 1977 at 17 and have always obeyed all the traffic laws, including coming to a complete stop at stop signs, even when on my bicycle, I have never had any accidents or tickets and only one incident on my bike when a car ran me off the side of the road for kicks and I hit the gravel sideways. In our intersection on the coastal Hammond Trail, before we had stop signs installed to stop cars, there were on average 7 accidents over 2 years and of those, six were bicyclists involved accidents. That motivated the county to put in stop signs for the cars, we already had stop signs for the bikes, but it was the bikes ignoring their stop signs. Now that we have signs for both cars and bikes, there have been zero accidents in going on 8 years now. But still, very few bicyclists ever stop at the sign, even parents with kids run the signs. The other intersection with a cross street on this stretch of the trail crosses a street with 35 mph speed limit, that intersection has stop sign for bikes only and none of them stop. I honestly feel that most bicyclists are at fault in bicyclist auto accidents and bicyclist should be paying a license fee and take a class as should vehicle drivers. There are too many accidents and the problems is that very few auto drivers or bike riders follow the rules of the road or properly learn how to drive or ride. Share the road, share it safely wether you be a car, bike or pedestrian.

Old 12-28-2013, 07:22 AM

278 posts, read 273,856 times
Bad idea,but that never stopped anyone before. I love being ripped off every time I go register a 13 year old vehicle or something. Actually went and tagged the vehicle my folks loaned me the money for. 163$! JEEZ! Its 15 years old! Course the state has it valued at 2200$! PFT!

Old 12-28-2013, 07:34 AM

33,571 posts, read 18,165,778 times
What about a living tax? Pay one dollar a day for living on the earth. Or an eye tax for looking at the sky , birds and scenery. Oh, How about a tax for talking. So many words can burn up the atmosphere so we have a usage tax with limits. A box connected to our vocal cords to record our every word.

Old 12-28-2013, 08:47 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,977,958 times
TANSTAAFL!

There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch! (With thanks to Robert Heinlein)

From some of the posts in this thread, it would appear there are still some folks who are not aware of that simple truth!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies