Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Could an long term unemployed business executive get a minimum wage job if they tried?
Yes, they just need bodies, they don't care you used to make good money 21 30.00%
Unlikely because these jobs are set aside for others 13 18.57%
No chance in the world they would be hired 29 41.43%
Don't know 7 10.00%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 06:18 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
So you don't have an answer to my question? Why would anyone blindly trust that their job is secure? That is nothing short of stupid.

Yes, I have answers to your question.

I just can't believe they are needed.

Unemployment in this country has been at near all time highs for years. Most people can only save so much money and those reserves dry up at some point. The number of job seekers highly outpace the number of available jobs. Its a proven fact that companies don't hire older workers. Should I go on??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2013, 06:22 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,818,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
The liberal mind is full of anger, regrets, rationalizations, and most of all- lack of solutions.

Thus liberalism is appealing to those who have not reached their goals in life, as it convinces them that the only way to become well to do is-

a. to inherit money
b. to steal money from "honest" people. Therefore, if one is "honest", one cannot be wealthy.
c. to cheat or "con" the system in order to advance onself
d. to trample down "the masses" and advance off of their talent, labor, and effort,

The above is really what liberals believe and have convinced themselves that this is true. Gee......... I wonder how many of them were partying in high school or years after while I was making no money, studying my ass off in a library, and doing what I could to pay tuition?

It is a classic story of the ant and the grasshopper.
How would you know how liberals think? Your preconceived notions are laughable and ridiculous.

Old 12-30-2013, 06:32 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,054,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Yes, I have answers to your question.

I just can't believe they are needed.

Unemployment in this country has been at near all time highs for years. Most people can only save so much money and those reserves dry up at some point. The number of job seekers highly outpace the number of available jobs. Its a proven fact that companies don't hire older workers. Should I go on??
I am 50.

I have taught myself multiple skills so that I am not dependent on one career.

I am a salesperson with much management experience.

I am an entrepreneur who has the ability to earn money without being "employed".

I have been doing handyman type work for most of my life and can earn a decent living painting, repairing and remodeling if needed.

I know many, many people who go to their 9-5 jobs, never learn a new skill, and have been "surprised" when the company that they worked for closed or had layoffs.

You control your destiny.

Old 12-30-2013, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
I am 50.

I have taught myself multiple skills so that I am not dependent on one career.

I am a salesperson with much management experience.

I am an entrepreneur who has the ability to earn money without being "employed".

I have been doing handyman type work for most of my life and can earn a decent living painting, repairing and remodeling if needed.

I know many, many people who go to their 9-5 jobs, never learn a new skill, and have been "surprised" when the company that they worked for closed or had layoffs.

You control your destiny.

Yes, yes we know. All men are islands and nothing in the world has an impact on any of us.

:yawn:

Have you returned your Ayn Rand book yet?

Old 12-30-2013, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Yes, yes we know. All men are islands and nothing in the world has an impact on any of us.

:yawn:

Have you returned your Ayn Rand book yet?
Things always have an impact on us. It's how you prepare and handle the impact that counts.

I will not make demands on your property, make none on mine.

Old 12-30-2013, 08:14 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,241,838 times
It used to be that adult men over 50 who got laid off could get at least job at Home Depot or Lowes, and women could always raise their kids then return to the workforce as a secretary or typist. Not anymore. I know many men who now survive with marginal businesses because they could find nothing after their Middle Class jobs disappeared, and women who just scrimp and save since nobody will hire them.

We now have an economy that needs far fewer workers than we actually have. This problem was created Big Government serving the dictates of Big Business, which accomplished what neither could have done individually: the near-complete destruction of the value of labor, combined with a high cost of labor thanks to government dictates and taxes. And the scary thing is that NOTHING CAN CHANGE unless we have a total and revolutionary overthrow of the system that created the problem. That won't happen until people are starving in the streets, meaning we have many decades of decline in front of us before we will have the will to change anything.

Sad that the problem could be fixed in a single presidential term, if we finally got a Presidential candidate that wanted to HELP the working class. First and most importantly, a pro-worker President would have to take drastic steps of CLOSING THE BORDERS to all new immigration, and STOPPING the welfare/public education bait that keeps current illegals here. Washington has been pushing the open-door immigration idiocy with the same enthusiasm as the Free Trade idiocy, even after BOTH have had more-than-catastrohpic effects that virtually destroyed prosperity in our nation. Washington will always served the Big Business dictate to keep the flow of immigrants coming to further depress the value of labor. Politicians get the added benefit of pushing off the day of reckoning when they have to explain that the Social Security Trust Fund is nothing more than an illusion, and that dramatic cuts will have to made to the Baby Boom's Social Security and Medicare benefits--because you can't get more tax dollars out of a tiny working class that doesn't get paid anything.

Next we would have to give businesses a reward for having jobs and creating new ones, and STOP rewarding them for outsourcing and job destruction. This means changing the tax laws fundamentally so that CEO pay penalizes the business, while worker pay benefits the business bottom line--the exact OPPOSITE of how it works today.

Washington is STILL rewarding companies for sending jobs overseas: "Under existing law, employers may take tax deductions for the costs associated with moving jobs out of the country," and previous attempts to STOP this insanity have FAILED (Senate Kills Anti-Outsourcing Bill; Democrats Point to Romney - ABC News). This is beyond insane, but proof again that Washington could not be more of an enemy of the working class (and how liberals can manage to think otherwise, I'll never understand).

In a SANE America, Washington would give tax advantages to those doing economically PRODUCTIVE things, rather than destructive things--like imposing NO taxes on a manufacturing business, but 99% tax on a business in the financial sector that sells derivatives of derivatives (high stakes gambling with OPM with losses handed to the taxpayer). Too bad that both Bush America and Obama America hand the most economically destructive entities MASSIVE amounts of taxpayer money, to make sure they were rewarded for their traitorous activities despite collapsing the entire (world) economy.

Old 12-31-2013, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
How would you know how liberals think? Your preconceived notions are laughable and ridiculous.
Because we read liberals posts.

Old 12-31-2013, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
How would they know? They never met me. It's all online now. And my resume is sterling. In my professional field, which interests them not at all.

ETA: I was hired immediately when I finally got my first interview, and promptly put into one of the more demanding (by Home Depot standards) sales jobs, in large appliances. So no, it's not me.

But boy, did they hate that I was efficient. They would yell at me and ask why I wasn't doing XYZ like they told me … when I said it was because I was finished with XYZ and thought it would be nice to do ABC too, they yelled at me for doing something they didn't tell me to.

Once, a day after they yelled at all of us about not sitting at the computer desk unless we were making a sale (we had to order most things, and set up delivery), I was at the desk with a customer, while the printer was spitting out tons of paperwork for the sale. The phone rang and I answered it. The manager yelled at me for being at the desk, and when I said it was because I was waiting for the paperwork to print for a customer, he yelled at me for answering the phone. No multitasking for you!!!

I know dozens of stories like these from other laid off professionals -- at least the ones who aren't living in their cars and actually managed to get one of these jobs like I finally did. You can pretend all you want, but these folks do NOT want smart people working for them. End of story.
I'm allowed to question your story, aren't I? After all, you posted it.

Anecdotal stories do nothing to support your claim that employers or managers don't like older, wiser people.

In management, you're ALWAYS seeking that next person who can fill your shoes (at least competent, intelligent managers). I needed someone to fill my shoes as I moved up, and so moron that I could trust when I wasn't there.

These types are hard to find. You always ran into the "I forgot more than you'll ever know" types.

Old 12-31-2013, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Because we read liberals posts.

And I read your posts. Luckily, I have enough common sense to know your words represent only what you believe and not the rest of Americans who are registered Republicans.

Old 12-31-2013, 06:26 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,175,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
Director XXX at local company Y likely has a mortgage to pay and kids' college tuition to pay. Show me how that is possible on a McDonald's wage.

1. Short sell the house and move into an apartment until your credit recovers and you find a better job.
2. Tell junior to get a student loan like most people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies