Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2013, 07:58 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,752,843 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppalachianAmerican View Post
Do me a favor. Go ask Wal Mart workers how many of them have EBT cards...they work but they ain't making enough to make ends meet. Do you really believe that ANYONE that get's EBT isn't working?
At some point the dam breaks. There isn't enough money ripped out of the hands of the working class to pay for all the poor. Some will just have to figure it out for themselves.

Old 12-28-2013, 07:59 AM

237 posts, read 192,119 times
Quote:
Do me a favor. Go ask Wal Mart workers how many of them have EBT cards...they work but they ain't making enough to make ends meet. Do you really believe that ANYONE that get's EBT isn't working?
Ye,s this is true. Walmart use to be a nice company. Now they are China-mart, and would rather tell their employees to go one welfare then to pay them correctly. I wish the government would figure out a way to stop ebt from going to these workers. Then maybe these people would strike and Walmart would learn. Maybe, Maybe not?

Old 12-28-2013, 08:03 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,752,843 times
Just thinking about a documentary by one of the alphabet left news people I saw a couple years back......The Appalachian people were once very proud, self sufficient albet poor people living their lives. Now they are feeding their kids Mountain Dew until teeth fall out, getting hooked on meth....sitting on their front porches waiting for "the check" from the government. What a shame and this should be your first clue regarding EBT cards being handed out like candy.

Old 12-28-2013, 08:06 AM

524 posts, read 400,483 times
If your income is below a certain threshold, which is calculated by the number of people in the household, you can qualify for SNAP. You don't have to be working at all.

Old 12-28-2013, 08:11 AM

278 posts, read 273,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
No what people believe is that like all Gov programs there is a fair amount of waste, fraud and abuse taking place. There needs to be greater accountability and the EBT purchases should have more limits on what can be purchased. Fast food should not be on that list, nor should soda, potato chips or any other junk food.
There is accountability. Like anything else you start banning things its a slippery slope. What about ordering people on medicaid/medicare they can only see a doctor that's government approved!?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
At some point the dam breaks. There isn't enough money ripped out of the hands of the working class to pay for all the poor. Some will just have to figure it out for themselves.
Working people get food stamps as well.True its going to break eventually. We need more work programs and make it to where unless you truly are disabled like mentally and physically can't do work. You should be getting a skill on the governments dollar,this will include transportation to and from and child care if you need that. In WV I know you can only get TANF for 5 years before its cut off and you MUST either work or go to school to keep getting it during those 5 years.More work programs less welfare programs eventually but this is what keeps politicians in office. They don't want educated workers...they want people that will pull the lever for them but I don't believe in cutting these people off I believe in fixing the problem here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JettNexus View Post
Ye,s this is true. Walmart use to be a nice company. Now they are China-mart, and would rather tell their employees to go one welfare then to pay them correctly. I wish the government would figure out a way to stop ebt from going to these workers. Then maybe these people would strike and Walmart would learn. Maybe, Maybe not?
They have tried striking even had union folks try and set stuff up but media usually ignores it and the ones that do strike or try to unionize are fired then most people mostly republicans cheer for corporate interests were upheld but complain about having to pay for more welfare.

Old 12-28-2013, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrimol View Post
If your income is below a certain threshold, which is calculated by the number of people in the household, you can qualify for SNAP. You don't have to be working at all.
Yep. That's true I do wonder though how many WORKING people are getting food stamps?

Old 12-28-2013, 08:16 AM

The USDA also reports that 28 percent of adult participants in SNAP were employed. Another 24 percent were unemployed and looking for work.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/leonardb...s-are-working/
I wonder if that has increased at all. Still in the minority but its a large minority.

Old 12-28-2013, 08:17 AM

Hannity Omits The "Food Stamp" Facts: Most Recipients Have Jobs, Or Are Seniors Or Children | Research | Media Matters for America

According to that link its even higher than 28% of households that are working and getting EBT.

Old 12-28-2013, 08:28 AM

524 posts, read 400,483 times
Quote:
Yep. That's true I do wonder though how many WORKING people are getting food stamps?
A good bit.

Example: a family of four and one parent works. Let's say the parents are not married (this enables the family to collect more benefits). The non-working parent can receive TANF and SNAP for herself and the two children. The monetary value for TANF and SNAP would equate to an extra 600.00 a month. They could also be using Medicaid as well, that would add to their monthly monetary benefit. Same goes for head start, section 8, discounted daycare, the cell phone program, or free lunch. Those benefits will never be counted in regards to their monetary value, they (the mother and children) would still have zero income. The assets are usually put in the working parents name, or another family members name to avoid them from being calculated in the assessment.

This is how the scam works. I have neighbors that are open about their social program abuse. It's ridiculous.

Old 12-28-2013, 08:30 AM

I am talking about people who are doing it legit. I know of several. 1 parent or in some cases both parents work and they still get food stamps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies