Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 10:32 PM

7,530 posts, read 11,367,834 times

Advertisements

What's your understanding of this phrase?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2009, 10:36 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times
???
Why would poor person hire me? I do contract work with an inherently military focus.

Sounds like trolling, to me.

Old 01-26-2009, 10:37 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,822,592 times
That you lack necessary qualifications?

Old 01-26-2009, 10:44 PM

7,530 posts, read 11,367,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
???
Why would poor person hire me? I do contract work with an inherently military focus.

Sounds like trolling, to me.
No some use that phrase to make an economic point.

Old 01-26-2009, 10:46 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,634,295 times
I have also heard that you will never get rich working for someone else. So basically the person who owns the business will probably be making the most money.

A large percentage of the taxes paid in America this last year was from self employed people. So if you lost your job, think what kind of mousetrap you will be marketing in your new business. Don't wait for someone else to hire you, hire yourself.

Old 01-26-2009, 10:59 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,254,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
It means Pelosi is an idiot for pushing President Obama to repeal Bush's tax cuts. If you give the business owners a tax break, they will in turn use these breaks to create jobs and grow their businesses. Increase their tax, they may be less inclined to create these new jobs and expand. In a recession, I'm sure every penny counts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
I have also heard that you will never get rich working for someone else. So basically the person who owns the business will probably be making the most money.
I disagree. I think the lack of saving money "will never get [you] rich".

Old 01-26-2009, 11:02 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,822,592 times
Quote:
No some use that phrase to make an economic point.
Oh, that one! Rich people hire overseas.

Old 01-26-2009, 11:16 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,153,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foma View Post
It means Pelosi is an idiot for pushing President Obama to repeal Bush's tax cuts. If you give the business owners a tax break, they will in turn use these breaks to create jobs and grow their businesses. Increase their tax, they may be less inclined to create these new jobs and expand. In a recession, I'm sure every penny counts.

I disagree. I think the lack of saving money "will never get [you] rich".
Once again.....

WHERE are the jobs that bush allegedly created by giving the uber-wealthy a huge tax break?

Have you noticed the unemployment and unemployed numbers lately??

Old 01-26-2009, 11:25 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,468,904 times
Quote:
And you are not going to be. Obama's plan is to funnel money to the rich privatized business owners for government contracts. The trickle down theory they say doesn't work. Others parts are just to directly hand them a check.

When you cry about where all the jobs now don't forget immigration and births increased over 20 million people from 2000 to now.

Between Census Day (April 1, 2000) and July 1, 2005,
the resident population of the United States grew from
281.4 million to 296.4 million, an increase of 5 percent.
During this period, 21.3 million U.S. residents
were born and 12.7 million died, creating a “natural
increase” of 8.6 million people. The net increase from
international migration (in-migrants minus outmigrants)
added another 6.3 million people.

http://www.census.gov/population/www/pop-profile/files/dynamic/PopDistribution.pdf (broken link)

There has been plenty of jobs created but there is most certainly a correction on the horizon. People will disembark for more prosperous opportunities. Some to other countries some to other states.

Old 01-26-2009, 11:27 PM

2,159 posts, read 2,583,692 times
I think it's an old phrase that doesn't translate well into the present.

The vast majority of people are hired by corporations - not private individuals.

Keeping the tax rates on the rich unrealistically low does not lead to job growth - it didn't in the 1920s, it didn't during the past 8 years, it won't in the future.

Keeping tax rates low on corporations will help improve job outlooks... but don't be conned into the phrase in the OP...

If the last 8 years taught us anything - it's that reducing taxes on the rich is a sucker's bet - it's a giant shell game - one where the middle-class is 'had' big time...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies