Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2013, 10:55 AM

7,413 posts, read 6,231,938 times

Advertisements

How did people get by before government was there to take care of everyone's needs? Lets get back to that.

Old 12-28-2013, 10:56 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,477,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
See that's what fools most people. They only consider federal income tax as a "tax".
Your total "tax liability" is near 43%.

It was 38% in 2012 and 43% in 2013.
Next year it will hover near 50% for some people with new
Where can you get a better deal? These figures are a bit dated but still....
Americans' tax burden is lightest in developed world - USATODAY.com

1,565 posts, read 2,451,936 times
poor people either choose to be poor by being lazy, or they're actually incapable of supporting themselves without the assistance of others. The problem is that it's impossible to determine who's who. I would love to see some of these lazy bums work a full time job they hated like most Americans; however, That's not everyone that is on assistance.

2,226 posts, read 2,103,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Actually yes you can. I don't purposely look but did notice a girl in front of me using an EBT card at the grocery store. She looked perfectly healthy and capable of working to me. The poor little older lady scanning her items. She was working but had to serve the lazy young girl getting free food.
You are just too nosy for your own good, that girl could have been purchasing food for her mother sitting in the car. You have no idea what the story or circumstances were. She may have have been temporarily on food assist because of having children and an emergency situation. And that is one case out of millions, get a life.

Old 12-28-2013, 10:58 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,750,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 60sfemi View Post
You are just too nosy for your own good, that girl could have been purchasing food for her mother sitting in the car. You have no idea what the story or circumstances were. She may have have been temporarily on food assist because of having children and an emergency situation. And that is one case out of millions, get a life.
lol, I didn't have to be nosy. She didn't try to hide the card as if it was no big deal. And you defend loads on society too hard. Why? are you a load too? Don't hold your breath if you think we should praise people on the dole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
Why are they having children they can't afford to begin with? Can't afford children? Don't have them. That is a pretty common sense thing to do, huh? Oh wait, were talking about hands out liberals...
Red states.......republicans........have the highest welfare hands out than anyone. Wouldn't those be conservatives....oopsie.

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
Where can you get a better deal? These figures are a bit dated but still....
Americans' tax burden is lightest in developed world - USATODAY.com
26% of GDP in 2008 ?

That's NOT your total tax burden and that figure is over 5 years old.

Old 12-28-2013, 10:59 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,449,435 times
i was very poor--i have not always lived in this wonderful country. before i came here i was poor,, more so than most american welfare recipients-- many who are somewhat proud of their "poor status".
i spent a lot of years here helping the poor in the welfare system.
the first thing i learned what not to mention that i did not shop at the mall, have a cell phone or cable. i also worked and went to free night school after. of course all these items helped me make ends meet & get ahead. but to share this revelation with welfare recipients??? that sort of talk will get you written up in a jiffy.
mentioning these basic facts to a welfare recipient is perceived as moralizing--- judgemental and stereotyping behavior.

Last edited by Huckleberry3911948; 12-28-2013 at 11:16 AM..

Old 12-28-2013, 10:59 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 60sfemi View Post
Red states.......republicans........have the highest welfare hands out than anyone. Wouldn't those be conservatives....oopsie.
But they are DEMOCRATIC pockets within those red states

Old 12-28-2013, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
As I said we should help those who can't provide for themselves. No argument from me there. Should we subsidize welfare queens? Should we make it so easy to live off the government? If you want money here is a list of jobs you will have to do to earn it. There are a great many jobs that need to be done, but aren't.
In Thailand I watched them building a highway. There had to be 20 guys with shovels in their hands. A dump truck would drop a load of gravel and those guys would hit like a swarm of bees. Every damned one of them was smiling. They were getting paid to work.
Now how many of those inner city dead beat dads would be caught dead slinging gravel in 90 degree heat?

How many redneck welfare methheads would do it?
We have become a culture of entitlement.
No one is arguing that there isn't a subset of losers we would all like to see off the rolls. It is a matter of identifying them and ensuring laws stop them from financial help. On the other end of the spectrum, we offshored millions of low level jobs, and there are truly needy and deserving people we do need to help. Again an identification problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies