Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2013, 11:13 AM

1,565 posts, read 2,451,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
But they are DEMOCRATIC pockets within those red states
A lot of people don't understand this. The reason people in these states are so anti-welfare/food assistance is because they see the most abuse. Go to a state like Mississippi or South Carolina and you will see generations of poor black families that don't work. People up north see this too, providing they're willing to drive to the ghetto, but they're not surrounded by it 24/7 like people down south are. I'm originally from Bellingham WA. I never understood why white people down south were the way they are until spent some time in these states. I still don't agree with the way these people think, but I definitely see where they're coming from.

Old 12-28-2013, 11:14 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,750,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 60sfemi View Post
I agree with you completely. You now can stop complaining about poor people and start complaining about your legislators, as soon as they come back from their Hawaiian vacations.
Poor people keep Obama types in their position. They need poor people.

Old 12-28-2013, 11:17 AM

5,998 posts, read 3,736,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Why do you hate poor people so much?

Old 12-28-2013, 11:18 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,141,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Obama types? What on Earth does this mean? Harvard trained Constitutional Lawyers? Democrats? Black People? People who have risen to be the leader of the free world?

How about making a legitimate criticism that is backed by facts and intellect instead of emotion twinged with latent racisim?

Old 12-28-2013, 11:20 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,722,740 times
I will judge welfare recipients when I see they've filled up their shopping cart with all the more expensive brand names, all kinds of junk foods, the expensive cuts of meat and lobster. And when I see them pull out plenty of cash for the beer and cigarettes. Then I know they're getting way too much welfare handouts.

I'm not against helping the poor, even those too lazy to work but their food purchases should be limited to real foods, rice, beans, a little meat. No chips, no lobster, no steak, no soft drinks, no cookies, no expensive store bought cakes.

Old 12-28-2013, 11:23 AM

31,292 posts, read 20,753,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppalachianAmerican View Post

This is SO true. Please share.
That really is a silly post. People who work two jobs are not poor.

And if you can't afford kids, don't have them.

Old 12-28-2013, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I'm not against helping the poor, even those too lazy to work but their food purchases should be limited to real foods, rice, beans, a little meat. No chips, no lobster, no steak, no soft drinks, no cookies, no expensive store bought cakes.
In theory, great. Everyone should eat nutritiously.

But are you really going to hold the poor to a standard that tens of thousands of middle class and upper middle class folks will ignore tonight at Cheesecake Factory? Lobster is a great low calorie, low fat food. Purchased in the supermarket it's not that much more expensive than chopped beef.

In practice, who makes these decisions? What about exceptions for religious observances? Cultural diets? Lobster is cheaper than meat in Maine....

Old 12-28-2013, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
That really is a silly post. People who work two jobs are not poor..

You certainly can work two jobs and be poor.

Do a little research.

Old 12-28-2013, 11:26 AM

31,292 posts, read 20,753,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I will judge welfare recipients when I see they've filled up their shopping cart with all the more expensive brand names, all kinds of junk foods, the expensive cuts of meat and lobster. And when I see them pull out plenty of cash for the beer and cigarettes. Then I know they're getting way too much welfare handouts.

Correct. You can buy healthy food very cheaply. For example, a large container of oatmeal costs $3.28 and makes 30 servings. That's 11 cents per serving. The problem is that some poor people buy breakfast bars which cost five or ten times as much.

Old 12-28-2013, 11:29 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,750,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahzzie View Post
Why do you hate poor people so much?
Why do you hate people who work to pay for the poor people so much?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies