Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2013, 09:11 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Democrats use propaganda to keep their base in line. After all if there weren't people who want big government or people who are poor who would the democratic party use to tax the middle class and funnel more money to the government.

Democrats need the poor.

I don't see any praactical electoral solution for the poor. They're powerless in either major party and the two-party system makes a third-party movement rather useless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2013, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgianbelle View Post
If you check statistics, the wealthy already pay more. Also, how do you think the wealthy use the infrastructure more? If they drive to work, and you drive to work, you are both using the roads equally.

The legal system clearly benefits the rich more than the poor.

Old 12-29-2013, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgianbelle View Post
Why do people believe that people born into wealth should be punished or looked down upon? Someone somewhere down the line earned that money. Look at the Kennedy's. Their ancestors came to America and earned their money. Should they be required to give it to people whose ancestors did not work as hard or were not as lucky. Shouldn't people have the right to leave their money to their descendants? I plan to leave anything I make to whomever I choose. No one has the right to tell me who to leave it t. Do I feel sorry for the less fortunate? Of course, but I can't adopt the whole world, nor should I feel like it is my responsibility.

Also, I have no problem with paying my fair share of taxes, but I don't want to pay someone else's share. Everyone should be required to work it they are physically able. On one thread a lady didn't work because she had a baby. Huh? How does that qualify you as disabled? We have a society of people who do not believe in work or ethics. If we don't change soon, America will fall.

I believe that estates are the wrong thing to tax - inheritances should be taxed, at the individual's tax rate, when cash is realized. (Nobody would ever have to sell the farm to pay an inheritance tax.)

What I don't understand is why someone who inherits a million dollars pays no tax while a schlub who toils all year to earn $20K pays tax.

Old 12-29-2013, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Government uses the tax code to encourage people to do something. Example, take a look at those highrises to house the poor. The government doesn't want to be a landlord so they give a tax deduction for rental properties. They also give tax deductions for people who buy a house and pay a mortgage. So what are you doing that the government wants?

I don't like the high taxes so instead of taking on more risk to grow the business which could have led to hiring more people I pulled back. Why would I do otherwise?

And then states tax rental property up the wazoo because landlords are making money.

Old 12-29-2013, 11:29 PM

3,155 posts, read 2,733,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
I was born to a father that grew up so poor that people would leave clothes and food on his door step growing up. He worked his way up into the solid middle class.

I am a public school teacher at one of the least funded and least paying schools in my entire state. I would make at least 25% more pay at a near by school with more money.

I will become a millionaire. I am paying back my college.

I make decisions to spend less on things that I don't need.

I make decisions to save.

I make decisions to invest.

I do not whine about what others earn.

I am in my mid 30s and already have a net worth of around $250k - I've never broken $40K salary in a year.

I will be a millionaire by making smart decisions.

I have friends who make more money and grew up in houses that made more money...they are in debt and one has even had a fancy car repossessed.
very well said.

Old 12-29-2013, 11:55 PM

i recently retired at age 48, financially independent.

i came from a poor home, was abused and exploited by the family that was supposed to care for me. i quit school early and worked low paying jobs in auto repair to support myself. i worked at jobs where i was harassed and sometimes black-balled because i had the termerity to stand up for myself. "uneducated rednecks" like myself were supposed to know how to take abuse in that low skilled labor enviornment. if i'd been able to get better work i would have, but this was the best i could do at the time.

small town politics have a way of making you live your life on it's terms, and it's often difficult, no question about it.

i learned early to save and invest. by age 30 i had a net worth of over 100k having never earned over 25k in a single year. i ate ramen, drove junk cars, refused to associate with drunks and losers and believed in myself when the community dismissed me for being a down and out loser from a family of white trash.

i have been criticized and demonized by neighbors, co-workers and family who were jealous of me. i've had property vandalized and stolen. i've had the wind blowing in my face every step of the way. it would have been easier to emulate the "loser culture" and join the chorus of whining. that's the role the town and circumstances had assigned me, after all.

i eventually moved to a larger city with more opportunity, and found a better job, though not particularly high paying. the most i've ever made in a year was around 50k.

when the mortgage crisis happened, i bought a rental house at a steep discount, with a 3.875% mortgage, because i had excellent credit and money saved. my banker at the time told me everyone else was upside down with bad credit because they re-fi'd in an inflated market to buy jet-ski's and vacations and couldn't buy a house or re-fi at the best time in 4 generations.

i also continued to make regular contributions to my 401k and regular investing plans. everyone else sold it all on irrational fears about the economy.

everything i've done to become financially independent could have been done by virtually anyone. instead of trying to make the best of thier situation, most people are too caught up in self-pity. they whine about the boss, the politics, the illegals, obama, the democrats, the republicans, evil corporations, etc.....

the only thing they won't do is put effort into making things better. remember, these people and myself had the same jobs, the same pay, and they same everything. the difference in they and myself is 100% attitude. belief in oneself and courage.

put down the beer and lottery tickets, tear yourself away from the reality tv shows and read some non-fiction. stop blaming "the man" and do something. make the best of the situation. there is always something to be gained from even the toughest hardships of life if you look. hardships often bring opportunity, but you do have to give up the pity-party non-sense. once you break free of the black hole of hopelessness, the world will open.

we live in a country with a huge population of immigrants who see what so many folks who were born here can't see. they often become very sucessful through sheer commitment.

that's something we ALL can do.

Last edited by tommy64; 12-30-2013 at 12:24 AM.. Reason: spellin'

Old 12-30-2013, 12:47 AM

Quote:
nothing stoping you. Funny the people who complain the loudest couldn't start or run a business if their life depended on it. Thats why you got your hands out. These people depend on the very businesses they hate and the people they hate. How sad a life that must be.
agreed!!

Old 12-30-2013, 12:53 AM

3,807 posts, read 4,276,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy64 View Post
i recently retired at age 48, financially independent.

i came from a poor home, was abused and exploited by the family that was supposed to care for me. i quit school early and worked low paying jobs in auto repair to support myself. i worked at jobs where i was harassed and sometimes black-balled because i had the termerity to stand up for myself. "uneducated rednecks" like myself were supposed to know how to take abuse in that low skilled labor enviornment. if i'd been able to get better work i would have, but this was the best i could do at the time.

small town politics have a way of making you live your life on it's terms, and it's often difficult, no question about it.

i learned early to save and invest. by age 30 i had a net worth of over 100k having never earned over 25k in a single year. i ate ramen, drove junk cars, refused to associate with drunks and losers and believed in myself when the community dismissed me for being a down and out loser from a family of white trash.

i have been criticized and demonized by neighbors, co-workers and family who were jealous of me. i've had property vandalized and stolen. i've had the wind blowing in my face every step of the way. it would have been easier to emulate the "loser culture" and join the chorus of whining. that's the role the town and circumstances had assigned me, after all.

i eventually moved to a larger city with more opportunity, and found a better job, though not particularly high paying. the most i've ever made in a year was around 50k.

when the mortgage crisis happened, i bought a rental house at a steep discount, with a 3.875% mortgage, because i had excellent credit and money saved. my banker at the time told me everyone else was upside down with bad credit because they re-fi'd in an inflated market to buy jet-ski's and vacations and couldn't buy a house or re-fi at the best time in 4 generations.

i also continued to make regular contributions to my 401k and regular investing plans. everyone else sold it all on irrational fears about the economy.

everything i've done to become financially independent could have been done by virtually anyone. instead of trying to make the best of thier situation, most people are too caught up in self-pity. they whine about the boss, the politics, the illegals, obama, the democrats, the republicans, evil corporations, etc.....

the only thing they won't do is put effort into making things better. remember, these people and myself had the same jobs, the same pay, and they same everything. the difference in they and myself is 100% attitude. belief in oneself and courage.

put down the beer and lottery tickets, tear yourself away from the reality tv shows and read some non-fiction. stop blaming "the man" and do something. make the best of the situation. there is always something to be gained from even the toughest hardships of life if you look. hardships often bring opportunity, but you do have to give up the pity-party non-sense. once you break free of the black hole of hopelessness, the world will open.

we live in a country with a huge population of immigrants who see what so many folks who were born here can't see. they often become very sucessful through sheer commitment.

that's something we ALL can do.
Don't talk like that its crazy talk on these boards. People here will just say: Not everyone is as fortunate as you. Not everyone can save money. Not everyone...

No matter how many stories there are (mine is similar) the limp wristed liberals will always spin it to take money away from you and give it to them. They want and they do not want to work for it. Its some one else's responsibility to work, so they don't have too. They are hypocritical liars.

Old 12-30-2013, 01:01 AM

310 posts, read 256,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
Don't talk like that its crazy talk on these boards. People here will just say: Not everyone is as fortunate as you. Not everyone can save money. Not everyone...

No matter how many stories there are (mine is similar) the limp wristed liberals will always spin it to take money away from you and give it to them. They want and they do not want to work for it. Its some one else's responsibility to work, so they don't have too. They are hypocritical liars.
I agree, in the fact that his story is an awesome one and something that I aim to do with my life.

The thing that many people who react with "not everyone" need to realize is that there is no solution to help/save everyone. That is an impossible utopia and the best thing that we can do is harbor an environment in which many people can create their own stories, such as the one posted by tommy.

Old 12-30-2013, 05:27 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,054,479 times
You know.....many posts on this thread show the mentality that has overtaken America.

It's embarrassing that these folks feel as if we have a caste system and you cannot make it unless someone hands it to you.

The phrase "you didn't build that!" is just a way to make the masses feel warm and cozy about their condition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies