Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 01:17 PM

537 posts, read 740,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Well, its a good thing we are pulling out then.
Don't stand on one leg waiting for that to happen. Even if we pull out MOST of our ground forces the U.S. will keep many special forces and thousands of mercs in country. All that opium has to be protected and our C.I.A. will do whatever it takes to protect that cash cow.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2014, 01:20 PM

8,104 posts, read 3,959,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Really?

It is President Obama's war now.

During the Vietnam War, there were violent protests during both Democrat and Republican administrations.

Where are the protests for the War on Terror now?

Oh yeah, they stopped on January 20, 2009.
Its a Fascist ObamaBush War spreading "Freedom and Democracy"
And those that signed up weren't forced to go there.

As far as protesters are concerned, those don't work anymore since the way to get what you want is to buy politicians instead of protesting. The ones protesting now don't have the money to buy politicians and are just smelly hippies that need to get a job.

Old 01-03-2014, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
Yet another reason that the notion that "the government is us" is baloney. If the government truly was a reflection of the American people, all the troops would have been withdrawn from Afghanistan years ago, among other things.
The elites need to pump up the propaganda that we live in a Representative Republic. The illusion is fading fast among millions of American's and their scrambling for solutions to keep the masses divided.

Old 01-03-2014, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
Why would we attack Iraq over 9/11? We should have attacked Saudi Arabia is anyone, that's who attacked us.
You don't spread "Freedom and Democracy" to a absolute monarchy ruled by the Royal Family that own large shares in US Banks like CitiBank.

There are too many financial interests at stake even if there are people in Saudi Arabia that funded Bin Laden.
The Saudi's like some of the Wall Street crooks are too big to prosecute.

Old 01-03-2014, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
A fine hope indeed but not one borne out by the reality of past behaviours.
There is too much money to be made and deals to be enforced by our Mafia Style Government against those that won't play ball their way. We need to take a crap on other countries once in awhile and murder some people along with civilians to keep the MIC oiled.

Old 01-03-2014, 01:52 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMORE View Post
Although I didn't live in the Vietnam War Era, I just cannot believe that Afghanistan is more unpopular than Vietnam; I mean, Vietnam is a war that we know we lost, Afghanistan is a war that seems rather unknown to is in comparison to Iraq. Now Iraq I could believe is very unpopular in contrast to Vietnam, but Afganistan just isn't all that popular enough to even get the recognition to become unpopular if that makes any sense.
I lived through the Vietnam era. And I can believe Afghanistan is more unpopular. A lot of conservatives supported our being in Vietnam.

It tore apart a lot of families. Conservative fathers supported the war and their liberal children protested it. The wounds are still healing for some of them.

Old 01-03-2014, 02:00 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,621,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canyon Cat View Post
Don't stand on one leg waiting for that to happen. Even if we pull out MOST of our ground forces the U.S. will keep many special forces and thousands of mercs in country. All that opium has to be protected and our C.I.A. will do whatever it takes to protect that cash cow.
We also have troops in Germany, but we don't' call it the "Germany War". This thread is about the WAR in Afghanistan.

Old 01-03-2014, 02:04 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,621,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I lived through the Vietnam era. And I can believe Afghanistan is more unpopular. A lot of conservatives supported our being in Vietnam.

It tore apart a lot of families. Conservative fathers supported the war and their liberal children protested it. The wounds are still healing for some of them.
The poll fails to highlight how strongly people feel about the wars. In case of Vietnam, people felt VERY STROGNLY about it, while in case of Afghanistan they care barely enough to click "Oppose" as opposed to "Support" on an on-line opinion poll. In other words you really can't compare the two, because the impact on the nation is like day and night.

Old 01-03-2014, 02:12 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,381,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
One thing I'll say for Bush is at least a case could be made for attacking training bases in Afghanistan, it's just no one can make a case for how long we've been there. In close to 50 years I've never seen a good case made for going to Vietnam and that includes by one of that war's principal architects, Robert McNamara who admitted in his book we really knew very little about Vietnam but went anyway.

Old 01-03-2014, 03:19 PM

537 posts, read 740,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
We also have troops in Germany, but we don't' call it the "Germany War". This thread is about the WAR in Afghanistan.
Who's the idjit that said troops = war. Not me.

Afghanistan barely qualifies as a "war" unless you add "of conquest". The Taliban had nothing to do with 9/11. The neocons had Afghanistan in their sights years before 9/11. 9/11 was the pretext and it was sold to the 'Muricans via our corporate media. Same old same old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies