Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2014, 01:03 PM

79,909 posts, read 44,427,722 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Californian34 View Post
sorry. none of this is relevant, so I didn't read it. you are missing the point completely. why even respond with such drivel. no religion has cornered the market on morality. Christianity, specifically, is not the one true guide to morality. and no religion should be endorsed on public grounds.
As long as all are allowed, there is no endorsement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2014, 01:21 PM

1,256 posts, read 4,210,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
As long as all are allowed, there is no endorsement.
True, but that Oklahoma legislature guy said the equivalent of "There's not a chance that Satanist statue is going to be placed there".

Which is why this thread exists - rather than allow a multitude of different religions to be displayed, only one is.

That's wrong.

That's unconstitutional.

Which is to say, it's illegal.

Old 01-08-2014, 01:34 PM

79,909 posts, read 44,427,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sullyguy View Post
True, but that Oklahoma legislature guy said the equivalent of "There's not a chance that Satanist statue is going to be placed there".
And I don't agree with him.

Quote:
Which is why this thread exists - rather than allow a multitude of different religions to be displayed, only one is.

That's wrong.

That's unconstitutional.

Which is to say, it's illegal.
I agree. As an aside, there have been rulings that went against the idea that satanism is on par with other religions but it seems that's a bit irrelevant here as it seems those in charge aren't willing to allow any other displays.

Court rulings will not go their way.

Old 01-08-2014, 01:37 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,589,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
How much respect did you have for them before this thread?
Previous respect levels were Neutral
Now it's between Low and Very Low

Old 01-08-2014, 01:59 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,256,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sullyguy View Post

Look, I don't believe Satanism actually qualifies as a real religion. It is more a philosophy. It would be like saying that the people who follow the ethical teachings of Immanuel Kant are their own religion.

Satanists consider Satan to be a representation of basically free will and individualism. Which means, people who claim to be satanists, are those people who refuse to play by the rules of society. They want to create their own morality.

They don't believe in Satan as if he was the creator of the universe, or that there is an afterlife, or really anything that is common among religions. In practically all instances, Satanists are atheists. The concept of a satan figure is not about him being a deity. But is rather a symbol of opposition to Christianity. And/or an opposition to social conformity. In that sense, he is not a deity, he is simply an idol. They are really holding up in reverence basically a regular human-being in all his faults.

In that sense, satanism is about as much of a religion as Nazism is a religion. Where Nazi's basically worship people like Hitler, and practically turn him into the equivalence of a deity.

I don't believe if some Nazi's suddenly decided to call themselves a religion, that you would be too keen on allowing a Hitler statue on Oklahoma public property.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
No graven images as found in the Ten Commandments. Aren't Ten Commandments monuments in violation of one of those commandments?
No, graven images are items which are worshiped as if they were actually god. Which basically means, don't make an image of god, then worship that image. Such as the worship of a golden bull, or a magic rock, or a statue, or something of that nature. The ten commandments monument is not a graven image, because the ten commandments isn't meant to represent god.

It is pretty hard to disobey the graven image commandment. It would require you to basically make an image of god, then to worship that image. Which is why, there are no images of god. He is everything and nothing.

In my opinion, it has to do with the way you are supposed to basically "worship god". The pagans would create idols, and you would have to go to the idols to pay your respects to that god. Jews and Christians had no idols. When they prayed, they just prayed effectively to the air around them.

Christians didn't even want people to pray in the open. Matthew actually tells people to only pray in private, alone.

"When you pray, you are not to be like the hypocrites; for they love to stand and pray in the synagogues and on the street corners so that they may be seen by men. Truly I say to you, they have their reward in full." But you, when you pray, go into your inner room, close your door and pray to your Father who is in secret, and your Father who sees what is done in secret will reward you.

Old 01-08-2014, 02:19 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,472,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest View Post
well, if they did that...i wouldn't be happy at all.
there's tolerance...then there's a slap in the face.
this is that.
Big surprise... You guys are all for religion in public spaces, but only if it's your own. Sorry, that's not what freedom of religion means.

Old 01-08-2014, 02:21 PM

63,917 posts, read 46,946,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
Yea, I hope they keep lots of rolls of toliet paper next to it. Ima crawl up and take a dump in Satan's lap every chance I get. Just so he knows how I feel about him. Plus it'll serve as a reminder to everyone else that comes along.
Satan would be proud of such behavior.

Old 01-08-2014, 02:29 PM

33,610 posts, read 18,278,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post

Well it is certainly bad-ass

definitely more interesting than some commandments. . .but isn't Satan a fallen angel. I would think he would be amazingly beautiful and angelic.

Personally, I would rather have a monument to

Satan at one time was beautiful and sometimes can transform himself into an angel of light as the great deceiver . God struck down satan as a serpent to crawl in the dust on his belly.

Old 01-08-2014, 02:37 PM

1,790 posts, read 2,060,136 times
Pinicchio was more believable.

Old 01-08-2014, 02:44 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,148,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Satan at one time was beautiful and sometimes can transform himself into an angel of light as the great deceiver . God struck down satan as a serpent to crawl in the dust on his belly.
So isn't Satan necessary in Christian belief or was there evil before Satan?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies