Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2014, 05:21 PM

41,965 posts, read 75,205,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
I don't like to eat in my car anyway.
That's why there are picnic tables.

Quote:
I wouldn't want to sleep out in the open.
That's why you stay in your car and stretch out.

Quote:
There just nothing at a rest area that I can't do elsewhere.
Can you take your shoes off and wriggle your toes in the grass in the parking lot at McDonald's?

Rest stops may not be your cup of tea, but to say no one uses them is completely false.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2014, 05:44 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,955,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I have no particular issue with doing that, especially if some of the group was buying. However, there are the logistics-you have to get off the interstate, find the restaurant, get back on the interstate, etc.
And I have no issue with using a Rest Area. There just didn't happen to be one in the vicinity, which is why we had to get off the interstate in the first place.

Old 01-08-2014, 06:15 PM

4,143 posts, read 3,056,566 times
Ohio used to have a large number of primitive rest stops. They had outhouses and pump wells. Perfectly adequate for a male, although females tended to disagree.

10% of the rest areas were upgraded; the other 90% were closed. Now rest areas are few and far between. I think the only ones left are on limited-access highways.

Old 01-08-2014, 06:49 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
If you pulled up to a McDonald's and went to sleep for a few hours, they'd probably call the police.

Old 01-08-2014, 09:29 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,115,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
When I thought about it, I've rarely seen rest areas populated by anyone except people walking animals.
You've obviously never driven between Los Angeles and Las Vegas on a Friday or Sunday afternoon.

People generally make very quick stops at these places. The reason you're not seeing them is that they're not there long enough for you to ALSO be there to see them. Spend a weekend day at one of these and count, if you want. They're busier than you think.

Old 01-08-2014, 09:34 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
^A few rest stops along I-75 in Ohio have walking trails along the back edges of the property; not long, but a welcome feature when you've been on the road awhile.
Yes, they're actually places to rest, stretch your legs, relax, have a picnic, let kids play and run before they're strapped into car seats for more hours.

They should have more of them, it's a lot cheaper to have a picnic meal at a rest stop than eat out in a restaurant.

I almost never see one that is empty.

Old 01-08-2014, 09:38 PM

45 posts, read 72,336 times
I'm so grateful to see those rest stops myself. Especially when drinking coffee, iced tea or other beverages that I previously picked up at a Starbucks an hour before.

Old 01-08-2014, 09:39 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,874,591 times
I've traveled extensively all across the country over the last decade and rest stops are a godsend. Not only for all of the reasons others have already mentioned, but because they are always easy off/easy on. You can make a pit stop and be back on the road in under 10 minutes. That's much harder to do that when you have to exit the highway and go in search of facilities.

Old 01-08-2014, 09:43 PM

18,461 posts, read 7,092,496 times
Rest areas contribute to highway safety and such infrastructure is one of the few things that, as a Conservative, I approve of my taxes being used constructively for.

Old 01-08-2014, 10:53 PM

7,359 posts, read 6,529,813 times
I love the rest areas, but I like the travel centers on toll roads even more. Maybe it's time to try and extend the concept to untolled roads as well using revenue from the leasing of commercial space to pay for the area. It wouldn't work everywhere, but where exits are fewer and farther between they would be a huge asset.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies