Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2014, 12:12 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,077,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Do you have any proof that current domestic pet breeds evolved in an undirected process?
And IC doubles down on completely missing the point.

(That said... for most of the birds considered in the linked article, absolutely).

Old 01-23-2014, 12:32 PM

89,017 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post

(That said... for most of the birds considered in the linked article, absolutely).
Dog breeds? No. Cat breeds? No. Even some bird breeds? No.

They did NOT evolve in an undirected process.

Old 01-23-2014, 12:42 PM

1,634 posts, read 1,209,548 times
Quote:
Direct observation, no. Empirical evidence, yes.

I do not scoff at or marginalize the word. I point out that you use it solely to equivocate.

Please... two thread-jacks weren't enough for you? Really?

The math used to calculate the mass and size of the object responsible for the movement of stars we observe near the galactic center.

Evidence and reason, CM.
I am going to ask you again...What math? Can you please demonstrate to me how the math is reasonable? Can you SHOW how the math involving the center of the universe is consistent with observation?

Furthermore, you have illustrated that there is no "proof" in science,.which implies there is no "right or wrong" just "acceptable and unacceptable".

So, being that you are a layman....if you weren't, surely you'd be "ScientificDude" (who'd lose a penis measuring contest with that name?) . But, is it possible that your understanding of the universe and all things being, by way of well established theories propagated through schools and the MSM, are bound by convictions that they are so massively accepted because they're true?

I'd also like to ask you, do you believe Schrodinger's cat is dead and alive at the same time until we open the box it was poisoned in?

Do you believe the fundamental theories surrounding particle physics..like s-duality and the uncertainty principle to be scientific?

If you don't....then I have no point. If you DO, then you postulating there is no such thing as ID or God is unscientific at it's core. Regardless of the "amount of weighted evidence" because particle physics has been at a complete standstill for over half a century.

Last edited by ChestRockwell; 01-23-2014 at 01:18 PM..

Old 01-23-2014, 12:55 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:

Yep.

The article referenced several species for which there has been no genetic manipulation by humans, including marine mammals.

The original post to which I responded with the link implied that human intelligence must have been created. The article distinctly shows how the variations in animal cognition provide more evidence to support evolution of intelligence.

There is also Koko the gorilla, who communicates in sign language, has invented her own signs, does not like to watch sad movies, and expressed her grief when her pet cat died.

Koko Responds to a Sad Movie - YouTube

Koko the Gorilla Cries Over the Loss of a Kitten - YouTube

All Ball - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-23-2014, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Yep.

The article referenced several species for which there has been no genetic manipulation by humans
Intelligent Design is more than just genetic manipulation. It's selective breeding for specific traits, as evidenced by dog and cat breeds, and farm animals.

The difference is an intelligent intervention in the natural evolutionary process. At that point, the breed/species has no longer evolved in an undirected process.

Old 01-23-2014, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chin_Muzik_NJ View Post
I am going to ask you again...What math? Can you please demonstrate to me how the math is reasonable? Can you SHOW how the math involving the center of the universe is consistent with observation?
Not to you, no. I've got two semesters of space mechanics under my belt. I have no doubt that you have none (given the cluelessness of your posts to this point).

You are not capable of understanding the math, rendering it a fool's errand to offer a presentation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chin_Muzik_NJ
Furthermore, you have illustrated that there is no "proof" in science,.which implies there is no "right or wrong" just "acceptable and unacceptable".
Your single most commonly demonstrated vice appears to be an affection for non sequitur. No reasonable person would draw such a bizarre implication.

Acceptability has nothing to do with it. Explanatory power, on the other hand, is everything. We gain greater or lesser confidence based on a single, empirical, pragmatic standard. Does it work? In this way science incrementally approaches truth without ever laying claim to absolute truth. And so doing, it has become the single most pragmatically successful enterprise in all of human history.

This is why science increases crop yields, cures diseases, invents Internets and launches people into space... while religion does not.

Quote:
I'd also like to ask you, do you believe Schrodinger's cat is dead and alive at the same time until we open the box it was poisoned in?
There is no Schrodinger's cat. It was an analogy designed to address the apparent disconnect between entanglement at quantum scale and the deterministic phenomena we experience at macro scale. Your question demonstrates, frankly, that you actually never had a clue regarding what the intention or meaning of the thought experiment was in the first place.

You can rest more peacefully now. No cats are ever alive and dead at the same time.

Quote:
Do you believe the fundamental theories surrounding particle physics..like s-duality and the uncertainty principle to be scientific?
Of course. The former is simply a tool for making calculations easier. The latter is an empirical fact. What about them troubles you?

Quote:
If you don't....then I have no point. If you DO, then you postulating there is no such thing as ID or God is unscientific at it's core.
Actually, you have no point either way.

I postulate nothing. The non-scientific character of ID or God is not a premise. It is a tentative conclusion based on (wait for it) evidence and reason. As are all scientific conclusions.

Last edited by HistorianDude; 01-23-2014 at 01:41 PM..

Old 01-23-2014, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Dog breeds? No. Cat breeds? No. Even some bird breeds? No.

They did NOT evolve in an undirected process.
And you aggressively, spectacularly, egregiously and gratuitously continue to miss the point.

You are a goddamn prodigy of nature.

Old 01-23-2014, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Intelligent Design is more than just genetic manipulation. It's selective breeding for specific traits, as evidenced by dog and cat breeds, and farm animals.
And that has nothing whatsoever to do with the ID movement.

Old 01-23-2014, 01:44 PM

Quote:
And you aggressively, spectacularly, egregiously and gratuitously continue to miss the point.
No, YOU do. Various varieties of species are in fact currently existing on this planet exactly BECAUSE of Intelligent Design.

Old 01-23-2014, 01:51 PM

Quote:
No, YOU do.
So's your old man!!!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies