Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2014, 02:36 PM

1,866 posts, read 2,854,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
No, you didn't. The full title of the article cited is:
When can intelligent design of crops by humans outperform natural selection?
You are missing the point. Their use of those two words is not an endorsement of the psuedo-science known as "Intelligent Design" (IE, "Creation", or "God did it"). Why is that so hard for you to understand?

I think even the most ardent pro-religion types among us here are struggling with the straws you are trying to grasp.

15,080 posts, read 14,344,082 times
Quote:

Originally Posted by txdave35

I've given atheists documented cases of divine
healing with verification from doctors and pictures of tests. Not good
enough.
Lol! Divine healing? Why is it always healing we can't see, like "My back used to hurt, but now it doesn't" or "I had killer migraines and now I don't"? It's never anything like an amputated limb or even a pinkie toe growing back, or even a bad case of acne disappearing spontaneously on video.
The fact that's it's always something we can't see screams fraud or placebo effect.

20,892 posts, read 16,099,060 times
Quote:
So... your assertion is that GMO crops evolved naturally with no intelligent guidance or intervention whatsoever?
No. My assertion is that GMO crops have nothing whatsoever to do with the ID movement.

Old 01-22-2014, 02:37 PM

33,573 posts, read 37,188,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceist View Post
I don't think she's playing ignorant.
I have to agree.

Old 01-22-2014, 02:38 PM

17,842 posts, read 14,402,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Ah - but Harrier can refute the theory of evolution - which cannot stand on its "own two feet" - because it is complete nonsense.

He will make this clear once you answer the questions that you have been avoiding for almost a whole week:

Why do you think that there is observable evidence for evolution?

What is your definition of evolution?

Please answer in your own words.

C'mon - you obviously feel strongly about this, so why won't you just defend your position by answering these very simple questions?

Quit dodging and deflecting - it only erodes your credibility - which is nil to begin with.
Great, you came back, so how about making good on the promise you made?

I answered your questions specifically.

So now are you going to tell us "What scientific evidence can you present that can refute the Theory of Evolution"?

Old 01-22-2014, 02:38 PM

89,216 posts, read 44,965,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by css9450 View Post
You are missing the point. Their use of those two words is not an endorsement of the psuedo-science known as "Intelligent Design" (IE, "Creation", or "God did it").
ID doesn't state that "God did it." That seems to be where you are making your mistake.

ID: "certain features of the universe and of living things are best explained by an intelligent cause, not an undirected process such as natural selection."

GMO crops exactly fit that definition.

Old 01-22-2014, 02:39 PM

1,866 posts, read 2,854,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
Then they shed the references to the Bible and pretended to be non-sectarian "Scientific Creationists."

When that didn't work, they pretended to shed any specific creator and became "Intelligent Design" advocates.
That explains such psuedo-scientific organizations such as the "Creation Museum". Dress it up as "science" and maybe they can sneak it into the schools.

Old 01-22-2014, 02:40 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,129,887 times
Quote:
ID doesn't state that "God did it." That seems to be where you are making your mistake.
You're right, ID takes the lazy and vague route of assigning an intelligent designer behind the laws of the universe.

Old 01-22-2014, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacierx View Post
The naturalistic fallacy is when we assume what is natural is better or more healthy. In other words, natural climate change is good while man-made climate change is bad because what is natural is better.
Straw man.

The reason AGW is considered worse than natural global warming has to do with the velocity of the change. Environmental changes that take place faster than the biosphere can respond result in mass extinctions. It has nothing to do with the naturalistic fallacy.

Old 01-22-2014, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txdave35 View Post
Of course, miracles happen every day.
This is certainly a position only maintainable by somebody who has a pathetically low threshold for "miraculous."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies