Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 05:35 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Sounds like there is a supply, but the employers are not pursuing the right avenues to secure their worker. Maybe they should try posting openings in areas that have a glut of vets. That's what many employers do when they know one area has an abundance of the type of worker they need. If they still can't find the right person, they could sweeten the deal by offering sign on bonuses or even higher salaries. Something to make it worth their wild to leave their current location.

Who said "things are all better"? There are still some troubles in the labor market, but it's far worse for workers without marketable skills. There are some occupations where employers are experiencing difficulty securing their workers. In those cases, yes, the right thing to do would be to offer a higher wage... Something to provide incentive for an employee to leave their current position. Nobody is going to leave their current job for the same pay, unless they hate their job.

Labor is not an infinite resource, and when demand in one industry picks up, that resource gets snapped up. Without additional trained workers, the forces of supply and demand do work to lift the market rate. Of course, this does not take place across the board. Occupations where there are idle workers to choose from will not experience this lifting of wages.

A worthwhile question to ask is, with all the young people whining that they can't find a job, and all these employers whining that they can't find their worker, why aren't they training the young people? They were whining in the article about not finding the right fit, some workers aren't mature, wah wah wah... This isn't the first generation to have rough spots. Diamonds don't come out of the ground all pretty and shiny don't ya know... When the boomers start retiring in higher volumes, are these businesses just going to go out of business en mass?
45 minutes from Texas A&M but it's a rural town of 5K.
College grads don't want rural and don't want large animal.
They are offering above the normal pay and still can't get new grads.

This is not just my vet though…there is a shortage of vets in most rural areas.
Many of the grads would rather stay in the city and deal with dogs and cats.

Vets and farriers are hard to come by these days.

As to your last paragraph..many companies do not want to spend the money to train.
They expect employees to already be skilled (how is a good question) and then continue their education on their own time and dime.

My company used to pay for us to take classes on the new trends and ideas and they paid for our reference books for new programming languages. That all stopped right after the dot com bust.

Now it's back to "No experience without a job and no job without experience"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2014, 05:44 PM

29,823 posts, read 24,913,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
They are offering above the normal pay and still can't get new grads.

This is not just my vet though…there is a shortage of vets in most rural areas.
Many of the grads would rather stay in the city and deal with dogs and cats.

Vets and farriers are hard to come by these days.

As to your last paragraph..many companies do not want to spend the money to train.
They expect employees to already be skilled (how is a good question) and then continue their education on their own time and dime.

My company used to pay for us to take classes on the new trends and ideas and they paid for our reference books for new programming languages. That all stopped right after the dot com bust.

Now it's back to "No experience without a job and no job without experience"
Like I said, it sounds like they need to offer an incentive for leaving the comforts and amenities of the city. This is not an unreasonable expectation, and it's not really unusual in many occupations. Just look at all the oil work being done in ND. Nobody wants to live in a man camp in the middle of some rural town. This is solved by paying a premium.

You might say the local market could not bare a higher price for their veterinary services... Well, would it be any better if the business closed up and the consumer had to drive 50 miles?

Old 01-13-2014, 05:48 PM

13,303 posts, read 7,872,015 times
Quote:
Only idiots wish to live in large cities.

They should stay there.

Old 01-13-2014, 05:51 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,375,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperthetic View Post

They should stay there.
uh huh.

Now dont get me wrong, I like the rural life, and grew up miles from a small town. But you're really wrong. People live in the hicks, in the cities, and in the burbs. Some are smart....some not so much.

Cities have advantages over the country, and vice versa.

Old 01-13-2014, 05:55 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,202,657 times
The article had a lot of good points. I was on a recent search team to hire a new computer programmer/analyst for our organization. We had 4 excellent candidates whom we interviewed. One decided to stay where he was and withdrew. Of the other 3, only 1 passed the off-list references check (where we check with past employers not with your selected references), and she passed with flying colors. We hired her although she'll need to have some extensive training to get up to speed, but it's better to have a good employee than a trouble-maker or a chronic slacker, etc.

Old 01-13-2014, 05:58 PM

29,823 posts, read 24,913,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperthetic View Post

They should stay there.
Too bad there are no jobs in rural settings. That's why the few that are out their pay $8/hr, likely under the table.

Old 01-13-2014, 06:01 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,202,657 times
Quote:
Recent grads are particular about the jobs they want and are willing to take lesser jobs while waiting.
Look at your big cities where they all flock after graduation..Starbucks is full of college grads.
There's only so many jobs in the "hot cities".
This is very true. We're located in a small city about 80 miles from a 1 million population metro and about 50 miles from a 300k metro. Neither of these is particularly popular with young college grads, and we're even further down the desirability ladder. We have had a very hard time filling tech positions unless we happen to hit on a local person who wants to move back to the area or somebody wants a small-town/rural life style without having to travel long distances.

Old 01-13-2014, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Like I said, it sounds like they need to offer an incentive for leaving the comforts and amenities of the city. This is not an unreasonable expectation, and it's not really unusual in many occupations. Just look at all the oil work being done in ND. Nobody wants to live in a man camp in the middle of some rural town. This is solved by paying a premium.

You might say the local market could not bare a higher price for their veterinary services... Well, would it be any better if the business closed up and the consumer had to drive 50 miles?
This is a national problem though.
So much so that the USDA will repay up to $75K of student loan debt if qualified vets go to work in designated shortage areas of the country for 3 years.

I've lived rural, semi-rural for over 15 years so I'm aware of this.
Several states also have repayment programs in addition to the USDA one for large animal vets.
There is and has been a shortage of vets to take care of the "food supply" animals.

Old 01-13-2014, 06:04 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,291,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
The article had a lot of good points. I was on a recent search team to hire a new computer programmer/analyst for our organization. We had 4 excellent candidates whom we interviewed. One decided to stay where he was and withdrew. Of the other 3, only 1 passed the off-list references check (where we check with past employers not with your selected references), and she passed with flying colors. We hired her although she'll need to have some extensive training to get up to speed, but it's better to have a good employee than a trouble-maker or a chronic slacker, etc.

You can train someone to program. You can't teach soft skills or work ethic.

Old 01-13-2014, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
This is very true. We're located in a small city about 80 miles from a 1 million population metro and about 50 miles from a 300k metro. Neither of these is particularly popular with young college grads, and we're even further down the desirability ladder. We have had a very hard time filling tech positions unless we happen to hit on a local person who wants to move back to the area or somebody wants a small-town/rural life style without having to travel long distances.
Yup..I'm 45 minutes from Bryan/College Station..home of A&M University.

They cannot get any new teachers up around here for the schools.
I just sub and have been kept as busy as I've wanted between 2-3 school districts.

Some new teachers don't even last a full school year and they have to go looking for teachers around Christmas. I've done several long-term sub jobs while they were trying to fill positions.
And they are giving bonuses as well but new grads don't want to live in small rural towns.

And this is just a 45 minute drive on a nice 70 mph road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies