Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 12:05 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,400,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
The only way that the death penalty could be made morally justifiable would be if the executioner would lose his own life as part of the process of the execution. (The late, great French-Algerian author and activist Albert Camus, a dedicated opponent of the death penalty, made this argument back in the 1950s).
Well then we'd just better develop an execution method that has the condemned as its operator, eh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2014, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
A better idea would be to completely abolish the death penalty, because no government can ever be trusted to use it without abusing it.
Why is it so often those who say we can't trust the government make it part of their party's platform to give MORE $$$ to that very same government's Department of Defense, you know, the guys with the firepower?

Old 01-14-2014, 12:25 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Absolutely not. This is a first world nation...not some banana republic or Asiatic barbarian state.

Have some decency for crying out loud.
so you dont have a problem with the death penalty per say, just the method? and when someone is given the death penalty, did they have any thought of decency for their victims? in my opinion, a firing squad, hang mans noose, guillotine, lethal injection, all work for me.

Old 01-14-2014, 12:36 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,261,787 times
Quote:
I don't care what Utah or Washington has on the books. I was asked about firing squads and I gave my opinion. And that's a big fat NO.
Really--it is barbaric. The rest of the western industrialized nations already think our capital punishment is medieval--we would appear even more regressive using firing squads. There are some third-world countries that use this method, but do we really want to be put in the same category as Afghanistan, Cuba and al qaeda?

Old 01-14-2014, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Really--it is barbaric. The rest of the western industrialized nations already think our capital punishment is medieval--we would appear even more regressive using firing squads. There are some third-world countries that use this method, but do we really want to be put in the same category as Afghanistan, Cuba and al qaeda?
And if the crime is barbaric why shouldn't the punishment be so too?

Old 01-14-2014, 01:04 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,361,392 times
Quote:
Absolutely not. This is a first world nation...not some banana republic or Asiatic barbarian state.

Have some decency for crying out loud.
Decency? Firing squad is the decent, humane thing to do.

I am not a supporter of the death penalty, mind you, but if I had a choice between Electrocution, the Gas Chamber, the Needle, or Firing Squad, I would choose the latter. All the others have failure rates and have been documented to cause miserable protracted deaths.

A firing squad execution, honestly performed, is the best bet for a humane execution.

Old 01-14-2014, 01:14 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,607,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Well then we'd just better develop an execution method that has the condemned as its operator, eh?
I meant an execution method in which the executioner would die as well as the condemned.

I'd rather not have executions at all, but if there are to be any executions, they would be only moral if the executioner paid with their own life.

Old 01-14-2014, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Today's appeals process is ridiculous. Used to be you had to be able to point a specific procedural error to appeal, now it seems all that's needed is disagreement with the verdict. Change that and the cost comes down immediately. And when there is absolutely no doubt of the convict's guilt in a crime such as murder, why shouldn't the death penalty be imposed? After all, jailing people hasn't worked very well as a deterrent either.
It would if we issued conditions of sentences such as forbidding protective custody for certain inmates. They have to be in GP, no special protections.

Old 01-14-2014, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
I meant an execution method in which the executioner would die as well as the condemned.

I'd rather not have executions at all, but if there are to be any executions, they would be only moral if the executioner paid with their own life.
I know what you meant and completely disagree. I believe Camus was a better writer than arbiter of just what is moral.

Old 01-14-2014, 01:28 PM

Quote:
And if the crime is barbaric why shouldn't the punishment be so too?
Just give judges the power to forbid protective custody for certain inmates.

Being on Death Row means being protected from the other inmates, having the ability to make unlimited appeals, and having a safe existence behind bars. John Wayne Gacy would not have been able to sell his paintings and thus keep himself in drugs and cigars if he had not been on death row. Just imagine how long Gacy, or any other violent sex criminal, would have lasted in general population...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies