Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 05:45 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,754,781 times

Advertisements

There are smart people who never attended College/University and made it big time.

But that is a different subject.

I think testing is fair since what else do you want to base it on? GPA's are already incl. and most Colleges look not just at the last year of High School so it is not just one test.

Some parents already complain that their kids get stress from taking the FCAT or another test and the kids shouldn't be tested, while others feel kids should be protected against other kids and just be home schooled to avoid issues on a bus or in school.

IMO every kid should be able to handle school and either combine home schooling and at least be able to be in contact with other kids, otherwise they will need to get a job where they hardly have to interact with others later on in life since they are afraid to be confronted and will not get much experience.

Taking the SAT/ACT and deal with some stress is also part of life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2014, 09:19 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,540,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
There are smart people who never attended College/University and made it big time.

But that is a different subject.

I think testing is fair since what else do you want to base it on? GPA's are already incl. and most Colleges look not just at the last year of High School so it is not just one test.

Some parents already complain that their kids get stress from taking the FCAT or another test and the kids shouldn't be tested, while others feel kids should be protected against other kids and just be home schooled to avoid issues on a bus or in school.

IMO every kid should be able to handle school and either combine home schooling and at least be able to be in contact with other kids, otherwise they will need to get a job where they hardly have to interact with others later on in life since they are afraid to be confronted and will not get much experience.

Taking the SAT/ACT and deal with some stress is also part of life.
There so much grade inflation WRT GPA's you have to have something besides class grades. Teachers are pressured to have their kids to well even it it means dummying down the test or curving to make enough kids score high enough to keep them out of trouble. Grades are useless anymore.

I'm not sure why people are against standardized testing. Standards are not a bad thing. Standardized tests allow you compare students regardless of their background and nobody is fudging results to make themselves look good the way they can grades.

Old 01-16-2014, 09:24 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
SAT maesures what it measures and it stood the test of time.

Old 01-16-2014, 09:35 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,005,733 times
My son's friend took the ACT early and scored I think it was a 31. That was at the beginning of their junior year. Now he is getting scholarship offers. That is what isn't fair about it all. You score too high it's just not fair to everybody else according to these loons. Of course to qualify for scholarships as a minority you don't have to score as high on these tests but to them that is fair. It's just utter insanity. Not to mention a percentage of the tuition you pay for your kids to go to many colleges is already doled out to minority scholarships. It does seem like the great leader is trying to force kids to go to college. If they don't want to they will hand them free money to do so and in the end they don't learn anything anyway because they didn't want to be there in the first place so what is the point? I guess to make things appear to be fair but in the end it is hurting everybody.

Old 01-16-2014, 09:53 PM

32,075 posts, read 15,062,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Unfortunately it's not just the president. In order for EVERYONE to be able to go to college, you have to seriously dummy down college. High school has already been dummied down so everyone can graduate.

The problem with education in the US is ridiculous expectations. Everyone graduating doesn't mean they learned more. It means they learned less so that the bottom could keep up.
Everyone going to college doesn't mean our kids are better educated. It means they are less educated as we must dummy down college so that the bottom can go. I swear the government is in bed with the universities and the aim is an increasing supply of students. Who cares if they're actually qualified to go to college and who cares if they actually learn anything in college. It's all about collecting tuition and diplomas.
It's not the government, it's the parents. They want their kids to be promoted to the next grade when clearly they should be held back. This starts in Kindergarten and just escalates. Parents are extremely influential in the school systems. Personally, I would bar them at the school doors lol

Old 01-17-2014, 06:36 AM

30,065 posts, read 18,665,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
Spaten_Drinker, you claim Obama didn't do well at Columbia and that he "didn't academically qualify" for Harvard. You then source two BS OPINION peaces that spew nothing but unsubstantiated garbage! You neo-cons crack me up!

The truth is you do not know how Obama did in school! YOU DO NOT HAVE HIS TRANSCRIPTS! Everything the right pulls out of their a**es can't be counted as facts until they provide proof. Even if Obama was an average Harvard graduate he would still run circles around the brightest neo-con think tank!!!

Right!

Obama admits that he was a poor student. Now if he had a high GPA, why in the world would he not release his transcripts? Heck, George Bush did.

When one listens to Obama speak (when not on a teleprompter) you can tell that he is of marginal intelligence. Nancy Pelosi is another example of someone who can barely utter complete sentences.

There are certainly articulate, intelligent democrats. However, Obama is not one of them.

Old 01-17-2014, 07:00 AM

89,026 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
So what should we measure when deciding who should go to college?

Do you have some evidence that students who score low on the ACT do just as well in college as students who score high? If these scores aren't useful, you should be able to show that there is no correlation between scores on these tests and academic success.
Good point.

There is, in fact, extensive data available on the correlation of ACT scores and college readiness, that is, having a 75% chance of passing a first year college course with a grade of C or better (50% of earning a B or better).
http://www.act.org/research/policyma...benchmarks.pdf

The college readiness benchmark scores are surprisingly low.

Even given that they are so low, we had this problem in an affluent Chicago suburb:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/30836665-post52.html

Old 01-17-2014, 11:33 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,488,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
It's not the government, it's the parents. They want their kids to be promoted to the next grade when clearly they should be held back. This starts in Kindergarten and just escalates. Parents are extremely influential in the school systems. Personally, I would bar them at the school doors lol
I disagree, I have personally seen where its the teachers (wanting to look good for raises) and the administrators (bragging rights) of how good their school is

I don't want my son or daughter to 'graduate' high school, (or junior high) if they cant read or do basic math

what good is it, if you are in the 11th grader is only reading at a 4th grade level

Old 01-17-2014, 11:42 AM

1,825 posts, read 1,419,211 times
I think to an extent that is a fair claim. If you can afford tutors and prep it can increase your score by 100 points or more. Considering the entire point of SATs was originally to give people outside of prep-school circles a chance at good schools I think that is a fair complaint. There is also a pretty strong correlation between wealth and scores so that begs the question of whether SATs really are better then the traditional alumni/prep-school connection selection process.

Old 01-17-2014, 12:09 PM

78,417 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks With Lasers View Post
Yes, I know what these tests measure. They measure the ability to pass the test.

Just because something isn't fair doesn't mean it's useful. If you hired people based on how tall they were, it wouldn't be fair to shorter people with good qualifications. It also wouldn't be very useful. The same can be said for standardized tests for the most part.
Tell you what, lets take some kid with a 400 SAT math score and throw them into Advanced Calc with a bunch of engineering students at Cal Tech.

Surely they will do just fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies