Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2014, 02:21 PM

9,127 posts, read 7,972,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Can't express their views to underage children? What does that even mean? Can two gay women not hold hands at the games because children are present?
It sounds like Putin is saying to Gays...you can come to Sochi just don't do any recruiting while your here. You know, no passing out of any literature to young folk on how cool and hip it is to be Gay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2014, 02:26 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,222,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
So let me get this straight...if I'm out in public with my wife and kids I'm shoving my agenda down your throat?
I am gay and I do not think you are shoving your agenda down anyone's throat by any means. And even though I strongly detest Putin and his policies, there is a shred of truth about the need of gays to show some decorum in front of children! And I would not make the implicit false equivalency that the previous person did: that heterosexuality and homosexuality are equal. In fact, heterosexual people and heterosexuality are the "norm" whereas homosexuality is not the norm (even if it is and should be permissible under the law and normal in the sense that it occurs within a percentage of the population.)

For example, I think much of the content of gay pride parades is inappropriate for kids and wish that it would stop. Gay people should show respect to others by showing some restraint in public especially when kids can be around, e.g. not kissing in front of kids at the playground. That doesn't mean we need to be ashamed that we are different, because of who we are, it's just a tip of the hat to a greater society. That said, heterosexual people too can be guilty of sexualizing kids. Note that I am not saying public gay kissing/extreme expressions of sexuality should be a crime -- no way-- I am saying it is very bad taste and wish that gay people would come to their senses. It's common sense really.

Last edited by LuvSouthOC; 01-17-2014 at 02:52 PM..

Old 01-17-2014, 02:35 PM

4,837 posts, read 4,182,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
I am gay and I do not think you are shoving your agenda down anyone's throat by any means. And even though I strongly detest Putin and his policies, there is a shred of truth about the need of gays to show some decorum in front of children! And I would not make the implicit false equivalency that the previous person did: that heterosexuality and homosexuality are equal. In fact, heterosexual people and heterosexuality are the "norm" whereas homosexuality is not the norm (even if it and should be permissible under the law and normal in the sense that it occurs within a percentage of the population.)

For example, I think much of the content of gay pride parades is inappropriate for kids and wish that it would stop. Gay people should show respect to others by showing some restraint in public especially when kids can be around, e.g. not kissing in front of kids at the playground. That doesn't mean we need to be ashamed that we are different because we are who we are, it's just a tip of the hat to a greater society. That said, heterosexual people too can be guilty of sexualizing kids. Note that I am not saying public gay kissing/extreme expressions of sexuality should be a crime -- no way-- I am saying it is very bad taste and wish that gay people would come to their senses. It's common sense really.
Unhuh. So tell me, are heteros who kiss each other in front of kids on the playground behaving in bad taste? Newsflash: don't take your kids to a gay pride parade if it's so offensive.

Old 01-17-2014, 02:47 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,207,043 times
What does dictator Putin's decree even mean? Leave children in peace? Are gays waking up sleeping babies and kids? He's such a pandering turd.

Old 01-17-2014, 03:08 PM

79,199 posts, read 61,326,926 times
LOL....too bad he's killed off or shut down the newspapers of any reporters with the balls to ask him if the same applies to him and his 26 year old gymnast girlfriend?

I remember when one reporter asked him about that situation and Putin's missing wife....he made a shooting motion at the reporter right there on camera....while Berlusconi stood next to him and laughed.

Nothing like a good old fashioned strong man who knows nobody can touch him and doesn't even bother trying to put up a facade over his iron fist.

It's like a blast from the 1800's.

Old 01-17-2014, 03:46 PM

15,907 posts, read 21,563,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
I am gay and I do not think you are shoving your agenda down anyone's throat by any means. And even though I strongly detest Putin and his policies, there is a shred of truth about the need of gays to show some decorum in front of children! And I would not make the implicit false equivalency that the previous person did: that heterosexuality and homosexuality are equal. In fact, heterosexual people and heterosexuality are the "norm" whereas homosexuality is not the norm (even if it is and should be permissible under the law and normal in the sense that it occurs within a percentage of the population.)

For example, I think much of the content of gay pride parades is inappropriate for kids and wish that it would stop. Gay people should show respect to others by showing some restraint in public especially when kids can be around, e.g. not kissing in front of kids at the playground. That doesn't mean we need to be ashamed that we are different, because of who we are, it's just a tip of the hat to a greater society. That said, heterosexual people too can be guilty of sexualizing kids. Note that I am not saying public gay kissing/extreme expressions of sexuality should be a crime -- no way-- I am saying it is very bad taste and wish that gay people would come to their senses. It's common sense really.
I'm Jewish, as are many of my friends. Should I tell them to leave their kippahs (and therefore, likely themselves) at home because they are not a part of the "norm"? When I was going through cancer, should I have been forced to wear an itchy, uncomfortable wig in public because some people thought it was "inappropriate" for a woman to be bald? After all, that's not the norm and most find someone in their early 20s with cancer MUCH more uncomfortable than a same-sex couple.

If a child is upset by two people of the same gender kissing (not making out), then the only person to blame is their parents. Levels of public displays of affection that are inappropriate are not determined by the gender, but by the content.

Old 01-17-2014, 03:54 PM

48,398 posts, read 22,106,101 times
What an insulting and unnecessary statement by Putin. If he were to visit my country or my home I would want him to leave the children in peace..... ....but would I need to say it? I would even like it if he could keep his shirt on and refraining from striking homoerotic poses...but that might be too much to ask.

Old 01-17-2014, 04:01 PM

5,680 posts, read 5,118,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
What an insulting and unnecessary statement by Putin. If he were to visit my country or my home I would want him to leave the children in peace..... ....but would I need to say it? I would even like it if he could keep his shirt on and refraining from striking homoerotic poses...but that might be too much to ask.
When will you be inviting him? And what are the chances he'll accept? Let us know how that works out and please be sure to post a selfie of you two sharing a drink.

Old 01-17-2014, 04:22 PM

33,610 posts, read 18,284,773 times
Putin makes sense... leave the kids alone... they can get mixed up really easy as they take on who they are in life... songs like Katy Perry singing " I kissed a girl and I like it" can mess up a young kids mind .. imagine singing that song.. really sick and of course it was number 1 for six weeks thanks to the liberal media.

Old 01-17-2014, 05:03 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,222,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Putin makes sense... leave the kids alone... they can get mixed up really easy as they take on who they are in life... songs like Katy Perry singing " I kissed a girl and I like it" can mess up a young kids mind .. imagine singing that song.. really sick and of course it was number 1 for six weeks thanks to the liberal media.
How does the "liberal media" make a song popular? It either becomes so or it isn't.

In any event, the situation you describe of a benign pop song is not the same as kids at a playground. First, the song plays on the radio or other media. Parents have the ability to limit access to those media to children who are too small. Don't attack the right of Katy Perry's song to be heard because you are incapable of controlling your four year old.

Second, singing a pop song with merely a benign theme of homosexuality (or in the case of the song, more accurately, bisexuality), should not be cause for alarm in and of itself. The song is also, whether you want to believe it or not, a form of artistic expression whereas gyrating at the park, is not. Should we ban all of Elton John's songs due to the subject matter? How silly. Oh yeah, let's do that with Tchaikovsky since we are the 21st century Taliban. The fact that you have trouble with the BENIGN theme of a stupid pop song provides for worry. Is a song about a girl kissing a girl really that offensive to you? I think it is. It seems, therefore, that you irrationally fear homosexuality. I am all for modesty, but you seem to be far further to the right. The theme alone bothers you.

One wonders why you hold such a totalitarian mindset. Are you from the former Soviet Union where one had no civil liberties? One wonders when looking at your name, Taratova.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies