Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2014, 03:46 PM

351 posts, read 370,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Worked MW for a few months. Proved my worth and moved up and onward.

the same for me........min wage jobs are for low skill little education demand positions.....once you have those jobs if you are not learning new skills on the job training and showing good work ethic then its all on you if you are stuck in min. wage jobs forever.

I was in the Navy and started as a E-1....lowest pay rank in the military.....they have standards and requirements for you to get to E-2 and E-3 pay and so forth........it was up to you to show it. It wasn't automatically. If you have bad evaluations and bad work ethic and don't make E-3 by the end of your enlistment they kick you out.

but here the federal government wants to reward all MIN. wage workers including the bad workers with a raise at the cost of the consumer which is all of us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2014, 03:50 PM

1,404 posts, read 1,032,148 times
Originally Posted by swagger
Only 4.7% of hourly wage earners are at or below the federal minimum wage. Of workers over 24 years old, it's 3%. Your "social mobility" argument doesn't really hold up when faced with facts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpyne View Post
What part of at or near minimum wage are you too stupid to understand? Where did you get at or below? Reading comprehension problems?
You do realize that states dictate their minimum wage, not the federal government. In Washington the minimum wage is already $10hr, yet here in Cali it's $7.55. People do work for less than the federal minimum wage, depending on which state they work in.

I think Swaggers point was that a very small piece of the worker pie actually work for minimum wage.

6% of the population lost their healthcare plan, and were called insignificant by the government. Why is less than 4% of the population earning minimum wage so significant to them? Probably because it's getting peoples minds off the former. It's one big smoke screen.

Old 01-18-2014, 03:54 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,054,479 times
4 months

Old 01-18-2014, 03:55 PM

1,730 posts, read 1,362,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
Eight years, I had a post graduate degree, three kids and a wife. It was the worst of times ..it was the best of times .. I quit to be self employed.

Thats nuts, totally unbelievable to me.

Old 01-18-2014, 03:55 PM

6,331 posts, read 5,211,294 times
7 years, from ages 14 - 21, senior year in college I got to make $1.50 over the minimum wage, yeah!!!!!

Old 01-18-2014, 04:06 PM

I used to be a Bellman at a hotel and I got paid less than min. wage because of the tips.......after tips I made more an hour than the people working at the front desk making $11 an hour.

and the good thing about tip jobs you don't have to report ALL tips to the I.R.S......impossible to track every dollar.

Old 01-19-2014, 01:12 AM

Old 01-19-2014, 04:57 AM

1,480 posts, read 2,796,780 times
It's a misleading question.

Sure, there are few people making the EXACT MINIMUM WAGE amount but an ever increasing number of jobs are paid very close to minimum wage. If the minimum wage goes up to $10 an hour that would have a direct influence on over 30 million workers. There are countless jobs in today's economy that pay $7.25 to $9.00 an hour. Poverty wages.

I don't buy the argument that if you don't like low wage labor (that pays close to minimum wage) work hard and learn some new skills. You should, but for millions of jobs that is what they pay. And millions of Americans are going to continue to do those jobs and they will be a burden on taxpayers due to wages that only help corporate America, not us taxpayers.

Old 01-19-2014, 08:22 AM

18,461 posts, read 7,092,496 times
About 3 months at 2.90 per hour.
Which was long enough to figure out that working for minimum wage sucked and that if I ever wanted to have a life I'd better go to school or learn a trade.

I went to college for a while but it didn't take long for me to figure out that it wasn't for me, I fell back on learning a trade, which basically cost me nothing.

Old 01-19-2014, 08:59 AM

23,861 posts, read 24,115,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpyne View Post
What part of at or near minimum wage are you too stupid to understand? Where did you get at or below? Reading comprehension problems?
Stay classy, mpyne.

Oh, and I got "at or below" from the Bureau of Labor Statistics, and I've quoted them and posted links to my sources in this thread. Reading comprehension problems?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies