Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2007, 04:38 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,236,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
What this shows is the lack of knowledge on the part of the shooters.

If a person wanted to cause the most carnage,he would arm himself with a 8 shot pump shotgun loaded with buckshot and a backpack full of more ammo...
So now you are giving out advice on how to maximize carnage?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2007, 04:45 PM

4,563 posts, read 4,107,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Ok, you say you want limitations on semi auto rifles.

What are your feelings on handguns? For instance, I own a 9mm Glock - when I go to the range, I have multiple magazines that will hold over 20 rounds each. I can eject a mag and reload very quickly

Would you suggest banning these also?
Very good point and it points out the complexities of the issue. Do you think any firearms should be banned?

That said, I know of how to isolate radioactive materials out of smoke detectors, I'd kinda like to see if I can make my own bomb, just to see if I can do it. Should I be allowed to?

Old 12-09-2007, 04:47 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,284,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odinloki1 View Post
Very good point and it points out the complexities of the issue. Do you think any firearms should be banned?
Simple Answer? No

However, I notice you did not respond directly to my question: You stated you favored a ban on Semi Auto rifles. Do you support a similar ban on "semi auto" handguns?

Old 12-09-2007, 04:48 PM

Here's a statistic I'd really like to know. Number of times guns have saved someone in the past 20 years.

Then I'd like it compared with the statistics for deaths caused by stolen guns and school shootings and by people with a history of mental illness over the same period.

Old 12-09-2007, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Here's a statistic I'd really like to know. Number of times guns have saved someone in the past 20 years.

Then I'd like it compared with the statistics for deaths caused by stolen guns and school shootings and by people with a history of mental illness over the same period.
How about also asking about how many deaths were caused by drunk drivers? Should cars be banned because of these drunks?

Old 12-09-2007, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Simple Answer? No

However, I notice you did not respond directly to my question: You stated you favored a ban on Semi Auto rifles. Do you support a similar ban on "semi auto" handguns?
I honestly have found no use for them. If its for personal protection you need to fire just a couple of shots, so I don't see the point. I wouldn't mind a ban but if it makes you happy to have it and you can be a responsible owner then I can live either way.

You didn't answer my question. Can I have my backyard bomb building or not? Thats my arms of choice.

Old 12-09-2007, 04:52 PM

Quote:
How about also asking about how many deaths were caused by drunk drivers? Should cars be banned because of these drunks?
No, but bars should have breathalizers and bartenders should keep carkeys until the driver can breath clean, or something to that effect. If someone wants to go to a bar to drink, they should give up the right to drive until they are coherent.

Or is that their right to make that dumb choice and have someone else pay for it?

Old 12-09-2007, 04:53 PM

Quote:
I honestly have found no use for them. If its for personal protection you need to fire just a couple of shots, so I don't see the point. I wouldn't mind a ban but if it makes you happy to have it and you can be a responsible owner then I can live either way.

You didn't answer my question. Can I have my backyard bomb building or not? Thats my arms of choice.
If you support a ban on rifles, why not handguns?

Is building a bomb lawful? NO

Is a bomb classified as a firearm? NO

Old 12-09-2007, 04:54 PM

Quote:
No, but bars should have breathalizers and bartenders should keep carkeys until the driver can breath clean, or something to that effect. If someone wants to go to a bar to drink, they should give up the right to drive until they are coherent.

Or is that their right to make that dumb choice and have someone else pay for it?
How many get drunk at home and drive?

Or, at your home and drive?

Etc

The question still is: Should autos be banned because of the drunk driver?

Old 12-09-2007, 04:58 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,182,532 times
Magazines that hold 20 bullets should be banned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies