Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 12:53 AM

543 posts, read 1,000,202 times

Advertisements

-Not having to hide my bisexuality around base anymore after DADT was repealed.
-Several of my homosexual childhood friends were able to serve their time.
-No co-pay on new Paragard at an off base medical facility.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2014, 05:41 AM

5,998 posts, read 3,738,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Do you?

Yeah, you care about the less fortunate but you want others to pay for it.
No, we're all paying for it. It's called "society". Decent people see no problem with this. I guarantee you that if you found yourself in a situation where you had to choose between a life saving medical procedure that you were able to get because of a subsidy or death you'd choose the subsidy.

Old 01-20-2014, 05:50 AM

577 posts, read 436,381 times
[quote=petch751;33093632]^^^^[

Indeed the rich got richer. Nope didn't help the poor at all. Proof that trickle down economics is complete BS.

More welfare payouts is not the work of one man but rather years or decades if jobs disappearing from this country. Couple that with the biggest recession since the Great Depression, with an aging baby boomer generation and you have the perfect Storm. Many baby boomers lost their retirement in the big recession and they lost their jobs...some even lost their homes. Companies are now making record profits because those in the workforce are required to do more work for less! The only people reaping any rewards are executies! Unemployment has remained fairly high and the only jobs available are minimum wage jobs which don't pay nearly enough to live on.

The proof lies in the stagnating wages over the last two decades. THe proof lies in any gains from the economy going to only 1% of the population.

Indeed.. you are upset. Indeed you should be. But your anger is misdirected - misguided. In one way it IS the fault of government.. BUT the big difference is that governing.. is NOT the problem. The PROBLEM is when you have big money influencing the direction of the governing to favor big business and basically stick it to the rest of us.

Then the likes of Koch brothers convinces anyone that is mad about their situation that its all the fault of the "leeching" poor.. all while they are taking government subsidies and HUGE tax breaks behind their backs..basically sucking this country dry .

The result of all that is what you are seeing now..... dissappearing middle class and working poor.
sad part is.. we should all BAN TOGETHER.. instead.. they have pitted us against each other .

As for Osama... I think you watch too much right wing conspiracy nonsense. He's dead indeed. Is our terrorist problem over ...no nor will it ever be. Some other crazy will spring up in his place. But finding and killing Osama was huge.

The problem in this country is too much money in politics. Yes even Obama is guilty of this, he is not perfect by any measure, but is and was the lesser of two evils. Until we have real campaign finance reform we will only haver two options that will forever be either conservative screw the poor republicans or the democrats who are still in bed with big money as well. But, for me, at least the Dems try to walk some sort of line.. a very thin one, between helping the average guy and keeping their re-election coffers full. I do not nievely believe they are not guilty of this.. I just have the lesser of two evils to choose from right now.. and the Dems are it.

As for the auto industry - loose the money or not, I shutter to see what this country would look like had all those jobs in the auto industry been lost. You think welfare is too high now.. pfftt.. it's dwarfed in comparison to what it would have been if those automakers would have dissappeared.

Last edited by Proud2beAMom; 01-20-2014 at 06:24 AM..

Old 01-20-2014, 12:59 PM

1,730 posts, read 1,363,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud2beAMom View Post
Yup.. that's right.. i have issues with selfish whiny brats . They'd rather see people suffer than pay a little more for coverage knowing that others will get coverage themselves... .
Just go to the ER like you've always done, we'll pick up the tab. Same thing

Old 01-20-2014, 01:12 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,233,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Speaking strictly for myself:

1. Through his "Making Homes Affordable" program I was able to re-finance my home because I was laid off during Mr. Bush's Great Recession in early 2008. Through this program I managed to keep the home. Because I strictly complied with the rules my actual interest rate on my mortgage was dropped (just a little bit) and the bank is crediting me bonus incentives for making my mortgage payments on time.

And guys like me who followed the rules, didn't live like a sailor payday, and actually paid my house off are the ones stuck with your improved interest rates. When you having me for dinner and you are welcome...

2. Law Enforcement programs supported by the administration have cause a significant drop in crime here in Philadelphia, New York, and in many cities across the country. My city has been safer and statistics reveal a 40 year low in most crimes.

Fast and Furious.. and Chicago is still a mess.....nuff' said....

3. The support for the equal rights and dignity of the LGBT Community has been wonderful. The last several years has been a glorious triumph of supporters (like me) of gay rights and advanced the cause of civil rights and marriage equality for the LGBT community.

True, he has supported it. Bush was just slow in coming around due to his constituency...the opposite of BO who believes we should all pay for whatever people want....by that I mean, they BOTH pander(ed) to their constituencies....they still do.

4. The capture and death of bin Laden happened under his watch - not that I give him any credit for it personally - still ... it happened under his watch.

True, he did. However, Bush and most importantly, Seal Team Six and the collective effort over the yeas of the armed forces and security departments helped to T it up. It did, however, happen on his watch.

5. Although I had insurance through my employer - I was not technically one of the uninsured needing a policy under the ACA - I was able to drop the cr-ppy policy my company provided and get a much better policy with a different insurance company that was not only better BUT CHEAPER!!! Because I had a pre-existing medical condition, this very company had denied me coverage before Obamacare took effect, as did others. The Affordable Care Act (ACA) does have problems with it and I don't want to come off as praising it to the skies, but for me it worked.

Pre-existing condition clause could have and would have been legislated out by the Congress through all of it's initiatives. I'm glad you are getting a good health coverage. I'm just sorry mine has to go up 3X to help you afford it. Perhaps had you worked two jobs (I do) you could have afforded better coverage and people like me....millions and millions like me wouldn't be subsidizing it? Sooooooo, while those who work the minimum if necessary gained the benefits of those that worked their assets off. Seems fair....NOT.

6. In my city there is a building boom going on. Just within a square mile of my house several highrises are going up - equalling an astonishing 3.5 Billion dollars of new construction. On top of that new skyscraper of around 1100 feet is going to built that is going to be the tallest building outside NYC and Chicago downtown. If that isn't indicative of an improving economy I don't know what is.
And think, it only cost us 8.4 trillion dollars in debt to help bring costs down to hit the current shaky building boom!!! Why, we are just under unemployment levels we had when your most hated president, Bush, was in office! And for a mere 8.4 trillion we now have roughly the unemployment we had waaaaay back then on 08....what an improvement!!!!

But wait, there's more!!! Now, we have legions who are NO LONGER LOOKING FOR EMPLOYMENT mostly due to age and the bleak prospects. Yep, he's done it alright. Really a boon to the economy. You really need to understand the debt and the paper investments your government is making to give you these false readings on the economy....hard to sustain when sooooooo many are either out of work or, underemployed.....

Old 01-20-2014, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
pissed off the right wing nutjobs on a daily basis, that's plenty for me
^^^hates country more than he loves his kids^^^

Old 01-20-2014, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
  • He saved the American auto industry.
  • Presided over the recovery from the worst recession since the Great Depression.
  • Kept promises to withdraw from Iraq and Afghanistan.
  • After decades of dysfunction, he reformed our broken national health care system.
  • Record Wall Street earnings. Record corporate profits. Budget deficit cut in half.
  • Repealed 'don't ask, don't tell'. Fought for equal justice for women and minorities.
  • Kept promise to eliminate Osama Bin Laden and top Al Qaida terrorist leaders.
Just some of the good things President Obama has done for America.
Lol

Old 01-20-2014, 01:50 PM

577 posts, read 436,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoD Guy View Post
Just go to the ER like you've always done, we'll pick up the tab. Same thing
First, I"ve never been to the ER uninsured. Secondly, you can't walk into the ER daily for your dose of insulin or medication for your chronic illness.. nor will the ER treat you for your cancer.

And that statement is precisely what is screwed up about this countries health care...

On one hand your whining about having to pay a little more so that others have access to care, yet you're telling those that can't afford insurance to just walk into an ER and then basically not pay it and declare bankruptcy...

It's NOT the same thing.. NOT EVEN CLOSE.. why? becuase by having insurance and paying a premium and out of pocket I'm contributing to my health care.. the more I earn , the more I'll contribute. To try and draw a comparison is complete and utter nonsense and shows your lack of understanding of healthcare, it's problems, etc.

Old 01-20-2014, 01:55 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,582,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahzzie View Post
No, we're all paying for it. It's called "society". Decent people see no problem with this. I guarantee you that if you found yourself in a situation where you had to choose between a life saving medical procedure that you were able to get because of a subsidy or death you'd choose the subsidy.
Who are "we?"

Half of this country don't pay any income tax while the top 1% shoulder the majority.

If you say we are all paying for it, then everybody should be paying the exactly same amount!

Old 02-24-2014, 02:14 PM

1,850 posts, read 1,140,088 times
[quote=Clark Park;33078521]Speaking strictly for myself
4. The capture and death of bin Laden happened under his watch - not that I give him any credit for it personally - still ... it happened under his watch.

Watch...........Watch..........that's the key word. Luck in the timing. Ha, I have to laugh every time obama mentions anything about the military. As a former Army instructor, I can assure you all that he could NEVER qualify for any type of assignment or duty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies