Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Spanking Your Kids Be.....
Illegal 12 9.84%
Leagal 110 90.16%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 09:16 AM

746 posts, read 845,910 times

Advertisements

Depends on the level of spanking I think tapping with a hand every once in a blue moon is fine. However, hitting your child with an object or anything that would pain an adult is child abuse. I look it at from the stand point of adults who make mistakes no one goes around hitting them with a belt, so if its an object its cruel. If its a tap on the bum with an open hand its fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2008, 12:10 PM

28,892 posts, read 30,262,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truthhurts View Post
Depends on the level of spanking I think tapping with a hand every once in a blue moon is fine. However, hitting your child with an object or anything that would pain an adult is child abuse. I look it at from the stand point of adults who make mistakes no one goes around hitting them with a belt, so if its an object its cruel. If its a tap on the bum with an open hand its fine.
I think we already covered this....and I agree...as most who spank their children do....it is those who do not spank and are against it, take it way over to the other end of the spectrum and call it abuse....which is why certain people are asking the government to get involved....and some have been spanked on a regular basis, therefore, while I don't agree with them, can understand how they feel they way they do.

I was hit with a belt....in the old days, because I walked off the porch...the belt itself was a trump card, and it never left a mark, and I can tell you, I never went off that porch again, and I deemed that woman, one of the best babysitters, I've ever had. She wasn't abusive in the least. I had another babysitter as a little girl who maybe spanked me once....her bark was worse then her bite and all 4 of her children turned out great....

Old 12-24-2008, 12:11 AM

1 posts, read 2,264 times
Hi, I have really enjoyed reading the posts on here, though i haven't read them all by any means as of yet i did want to take a minute and express my own opinion. I am not going to stand up and say i am 'for' spanking necessarily, though i do agree that the government needs to back away slowly from the home and stop trying to control every aspect of our lives. I do not believe that spanking is abuse, i believe it is a tool and as a tool i believe that it should be used when/if it is called for and not for every slightest hint of misbehavior. I don't think it should be used to inspire fear, or that it should be used to force anyones will on anyone else. I believe that it is sometimes a lesson that may need to be learned, that there is a line that can't be crossed without conciquenses and those conciquences are not pleasant. I also believe it should be a last resort rather than a first resort. I don't believe that a lack of spanking is soley responsible for the condition of society today, for the wild kids and the lack of respect or responsibility...rather i think that the family unit has broken down. Parents do not pay attention to their kids, they don't interact with them or lead by example...and to be fair i don't think that it is the fault of the parents in most cases. Imagine two working parents, which is the normal now, then add school, sports, scouts, friends, babysitters, and music lessons etc...when is there time to be a family after all of that? Who is teaching the children their morals? Is it the school teacher who is paid very little to try to pay attention and teach 30+ students? Is it the babysitter who is most likely underpaid by necessity and may or may not sit the kids in front of the t.v.? Is it t.v. for that matter? Kids shows with whiney, violent cartoons that show kids as being in control and parents just being in the way? I can remember my mother being home when i got home from school every day, i would walk in the door and smell fresh home made bread and have a closet full of home made clothes etc and i felt a little picked on without all the store bought things that my friends all had but looking back i am so relieved to have had her to teach me how to cook and to take care of a family and have a love and respect for children and for my fellow 'mankind'. i am so thankful for the lessons i learned at my mother's knee, and yes once or twice over it, that made me the woman i am today with the morals and values i enjoy. Spanking didn't make me a good person, it wasn't the sole reason that i am responsible and loving and polite...but it sure didn't send me to drug rehab or prison either. Trying to pin the evils of the world on physical discipline is unreasonable since at one time everyone more or less had spanking either in practice or in theory and there have been generations of good people come from that method of child rearing. It is also unreasonable to claim that spanking could cure the world of it's ills. It's a tool....and it is my belief that the true need isn't more spanking as much as it is more parenting. If your child is throwing a fit in the store you may have to leave the store and make them sit in their car seat until they calm down and then try again, no it isn't fun or easy or always convenient but it isn't easy to be a parent. If your child is mouthy you may have to take away the priviledge of watching t.v. with the assumption that they are hearing such things on the t.v., sure t.v. is sometimes a great way to distract your child but if it is bad for them then the distraction isn't worth it. If your child is doing something and you think they need a spanking then maybe you should quickly ask yourself if you are spanking because you are being too lazy to exercise other methods or if it is really the tool that is needed in that moment. On the other hand, if your kid is running into the street and they aren't really getting the concept of 'dangerous' then you could talk until you were blue in the face but maybe a pop on the butt would shock them into staying away from the street and save a life. Ok this became a lot more long winded than i intended but it's just my own opinion so please don't get up in arms or offended as it wasn't meant to do either!

Old 12-24-2008, 12:32 AM

6,022 posts, read 7,828,066 times
kids who tell their parents what to do make my day lol

this is the thing when your kid as young as 4 talk back to you and your in a public place people are gonna look at you funny

if you spank or discipline your child you get looked at funny i see it everyday..the thing is some of the same people that look at you funny when you discipline do the same ***** if not worse.

Old 12-24-2008, 12:37 AM

6,022 posts, read 7,828,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4"L's"

The worst.......someone hitting their kids in public....no class at all and it only makes things escalate.

not necessarily true... it can escalate when nothing is done as well

Old 03-08-2009, 12:44 PM

893 posts, read 1,579,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawporri View Post
Congrats on your parenting tecniques. Stop and consider this, though.....
What if the law said "Parents must spank their children or be charged with neglect." How would you feel about that law ? The real thing going on here
is not about spanking or not. It's about "BIG BROTHER" slinking into citizens
private lives under the guise of protecting children. Doctors now practice
interrogating kids about the activities of their parents. "How much they drink,
do they have guns etc. Lookout COMMRADES, they are watching you........
My thoughts precisely!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-08-2009, 12:45 PM

893 posts, read 1,579,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonaLisaVito View Post
Maybe so, however, some adults like being spanked once in a while
MUAH!!!!!!!! yes we do!!!!!!!!

Old 03-08-2009, 12:59 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,318,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Should the government get involved in this to...this is insane and has now become a political issue???????

While pregnant with my son, I read a book which said, if you don't have control of your child by the time they are five, you never will. I spanked my son, 3 times in his life and I was spanked...and I'm glad my parents were strict and spanked me. Otherwise, I would have been a hand full.
Kids are animals - and they should be treated as such.

YouTube - Dog Whisperer: Firehouse Mascot

Dog Whisperer | National Geographic Channel

Old 03-08-2009, 01:08 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,491,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseba View Post
We are raising our kid with as much "positive discipline" as we can muster. And we did the whole attachment parenting thing when she was a baby.

Wait until she's a teenager.........pffffft.

My parents went after me with a belt when I was 12, after several warnings of course, and I damn well deserved it. It only happened once, but I knew who was in control as a teenager, and it sure wasn't me!

Love them to death and thank them for reminding me that having a good family and parents that provide for you is a privilege, not an entitlement to be abused.

Old 04-03-2009, 12:00 PM

207 posts, read 243,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Should the government get involved in this to...this is insane and has now become a political issue???????

This amazes me...we were spanked as children and we're fine, we were not beat, but we knew there was a consequence for our actions...

I heard a man on the news comment, that spanking was an uneducated way to discipline...amazing...

I think not spanking is not only an uneducated way of discipline, but a parent who is avoiding discipline.

I am 59 years old and see way to many children today who do not fear a consequence for their actions...a couple down the street, raise they're 3 grand children...the parents were killed...two turned out fine...one, is in and out of prision, has already had 4 unwanted children...and has been in drug rehab uncountable times.

While pregnant with my son, I read a book which said, if you don't have control of your child by the time they are five, you never will. I spanked my son, 3 times in his life and I was spanked...and I'm glad my parents were strict and spanked me. Otherwise, I would have been a hand full.

Chrildren today, have no sense of discipline in public, they run around, yell and scream and have not an ounce of respect for the personal property and space of others b/c parents do not know how to parent.

You've got more kids on drugs and taking guns to school, b/c parents do not know how to parent. I was raised in a small town, all our families hunted...I would have never thought to even pick up a gun????? Let alone if I would have, I wouldn't have sat for a week...and I'm exhagerating, but, for God's sake what is wrong with people?????The irony in all of this is...fine, there are really disturbed people out there who want to make it against the law to spank children....yet...they refuse to do anything about all the sexual preditors that are out there? Makes no sense, and I find this the perfect example of our mentality today...we are not getting any smarter, matter of fact, we have regressed when it comes to common sense of parenting. Thanks

I don't think it's insane that protecting children from physical harm has become a political issue. I do think it's rather silly to assume that a ban on spanking is going to turn people into better parents...we need in my opinion proactive measures teaching parents HOW to dicipline without spanking or other harmful tools before we consider banning the only thing some people know.

Not all of us were spanked as children, and not all of us who were think it was the best choice our parents could have made.

Not spanking does not in the least mean that one is avoiding dicipline. Avoiding dicipline is very bad and will lead to out of control children. However using positive dicipline that teaches children HOW to make positive choices rather than punishing them for negative choices can be used in place of arbitrary punishments such as spanking and can lead to children who have more self control without ever being physically harmed.

You need to have control over your children I just don't agree that you have to hit them to gain that control. There are many much nicer methods of insuring that your children are responsible and respectful individuals.

I don't think it's a lack of spanking that is causing the problems with children it's a lack of dicipline and parenting all together. It's much harder than it used to be to make a decent living and less and less people are staying home with their kids. This means kids see their parents less and are influenced by outside things more frequently. With the high rate of divorce and broken homes it is no wonder that kids are acting out more. I think there are plenty of issues that determine how kids act that are much more influential then if they did or did not get a few swats on the rear while growing up. It is 100% possible to raise great, respectful children without ever laying a hand on them, however this does require attention, time, and positive dicipline.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies