Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Spanking Your Kids Be.....
Illegal 12 9.84%
Leagal 110 90.16%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 06:42 AM

28,890 posts, read 30,255,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
I cannot possibly see how spanking can encourage respect. Fear? Maybe. Respect? Hardly.
spanking encourages a child to know, that what they just did was really really wrong or dangerous....and teaches them there would be a consequence if they tried it again...hopefully....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2007, 07:41 AM

9,444 posts, read 17,378,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
spanking encourages a child to know, that what they just did was really really wrong or dangerous....and teaches them there would be a consequence if they tried it again...hopefully....
But the whole point is that this can be taught without the spanking. The problem is the parent doesn't have enough patience to "deal" with it. To me spanking is a "short-cut", "easy-way" type of parenting. It doesn't fail to control a child when the parent is around, but it does strip them of learning natural consequences. Think about it. Your boss is not going to spank you for doing a bad job...

Old 12-31-2007, 08:29 AM

607 posts, read 922,782 times
Quote:
But the whole point is that this can be taught without the spanking. The problem is the parent doesn't have enough patience to "deal" with it. To me spanking is a "short-cut", "easy-way" type of parenting. It doesn't fail to control a child when the parent is around, but it does strip them of learning natural consequences. Think about it. Your boss is not going to spank you for doing a bad job...
Correct. Your children will act like children as long as you treat them like they're children.

Old 12-31-2007, 08:40 AM

Quote:
No, spanking is not a short cut...again, your thinking is stagnated into believing that parents who spank, spank all the time....we don't....and believe me, spanking is NOT easy...I am an adult...of course he is not going to spank me for not doing a good job (not a very realistic comparasin)...but, he will fire me...or should, if I don't...that is the consequence...and natural consequence is fine for some, but at the age of 1 - 5, children cannot comprehend a natural consequence...they fear nothing...and I'd prefer to spank rather then have ny child put his finger in a socket, or run with something in his mouth or hands...

no mame, spanking is not the easy thoughtless way out...not in the least...but you can't understand that, b/c you don't believe it...

Most people against spanking think that those who spank, spank all the time, for everything...and we spank hard, and we don't...they compare spanking to child abuse, which is a far cry from the truth...it is however, a form of constructive parenting, in the last case senerio....

we can agree to disagree...but don't equate me to a parent who was mindless and looked for an easy way to parent...I was very in tune with parenting...and only wanted to do what was right and effective for my son...not for me, but for him.

Old 12-31-2007, 08:41 AM

3,570 posts, read 3,756,420 times
Quote:
What do they "know"? They know mommy is going to spank them.
What do they "learn"? They learn mommy is going to spank them.

So what exactly does that teach about the individual action? What about learning WHY something is dangerous?

Old 12-31-2007, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseba View Post

So what exactly does that teach about the individual action? What about learning WHY something is dangerous?

the attention span of a child under 5 years old is next to nill...they will turn you off, if they don't like what they are hearing, or worse, understand it...

Rosba...please...I'm asking you nicely...please stop attacking every thing I post...please. I explained myself in my last post...I refuse to defend the reasons why anymore to you...as I believe we have exhausted our debate, you and I, so please, Rosba...leave it be at that, if you would be so kind.

Thank you
Creme

Old 12-31-2007, 10:15 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,677,756 times
Quote:
I cannot possibly see how spanking can encourage respect. Fear? Maybe. Respect? Hardly.
Well -- obviously there are those parents who give up on parenting and turn to psychologists and counselors to do that job for them. There are those parents who actually fear their 14 or 15 year old child. They fear that child will actually hit them or worse.

Those are parents who long ago gave up on trying to have the authority.

I don't believe all children need a spanking -- like I said, some kids are just naturally docile and behaved. But -- in the same family you can get one who will test their limits. You cannot judge because you didn't raise everyone's child. So let their own parents who do raise them take the best approach for that individual child.

Old 12-31-2007, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Well -- obviously there are those parents who give up on parenting and turn to psychologists and counselors to do that job for them. There are those parents who actually fear their 14 or 15 year old child. They fear that child will actually hit them or worse.

Those are parents who long ago gave up on trying to have the authority.

I don't believe all children need a spanking -- like I said, some kids are just naturally docile and behaved. But -- in the same family you can get one who will test their limits. You cannot judge because you didn't raise everyone's child. So let their own parents who do raise them take the best approach for that individual child.
AMEN! Yes, some children are naturally well behaved children, passive and do not need to test....and yes, none of us can judge, b/c each and every child is different, as we all our...it's like, some of us who have spanked, do not lay in wait for our children to do something wrong so we can spank them...

and as the subject matter goes...we should indeed not allow the government to step in. They already have laws on the books which are supposed to take care of those who are abusive to children, and our child welfare systems are already failing....

thank you for your post.

Old 12-31-2007, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseba View Post

Believe me -- if I have a kid who is intent on running or playing near a busy street, or taking certain risks, like climbing over a fence to go play near the street and a couple of warnings don't send the message -- yes -- I will spank that child.

And when a child who has had the "perfect parents" who never felt that discipline was needed gets the imperfect boss then what happens? That kid grew up believing he could do as he saw fit, whatever was reasonable to him. He will suddenly become surprised to find out that people like bosses do get angry and that suddenly there are consequences. Or the police.

Old 12-31-2007, 10:25 AM

Quote:
AMEN! Yes, some children are naturally well behaved children, passive and do not need to test....and yes, none of us can judge, b/c each and every child is different, as we all our...it's like, some of us who have spanked, do not lay in wait for our children to do something wrong so we can spank them...

and as the subject matter goes...we should indeed not allow the government to step in. They already have laws on the books which are supposed to take care of those who are abusive to children, and our child welfare systems are already failing....

thank you for your post.
I think the big epidemic of ritalin use and the other drugs like it has to do with kids not learning any discipline. I'd rather give my kid a couple of swats when it is the right time than drug the kid later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies