Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Spanking Your Kids Be.....
Illegal 12 9.84%
Leagal 110 90.16%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 02:32 PM

1,364 posts, read 2,917,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Queen View Post
REALLY?!?!?! Huh you even went to the trouble of CAPITALIZING the word lazy. Seems way more then an opinion.

And had someone called me out as you were called out here I would have conceded that I truly can not know for sure. I would not continue to argue with someone that IS gay as you have continued to argue with ACTUAL parents here.

Oh and I also did not insult them as you did. If you can not see the difference then you are truly blind.

The bottom line is that you have an IDEA of what it is like but you refuse to admit that your views are based solely on your opinion and an opinion that you clearly have no actual experience with.
Ha, saw this before leaving for the night. You and a few others have made this discussion into a "only one side can be 100%" correct matter using an argument that has no support for accuracy or truth. I have stated opinions and have backed up why I feel the way I do on this issue. You have stated that I have no clue what I'm doing as I'm not a parent. I will politely disagree until you show me credible professional studies stating that folks without kids don't know what they are doing with child rearing techniques. Until then your accusations have no validity. Funny that accuse me of attacking when your posting history pretty much all consists of attacking others, being belligerent, name calling, and trying to put others down that opinions differ from yours. It shows what your character is all about.......I refuse to lower myself to that level. Have a good day!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2009, 03:03 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,441,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.J. MacReady View Post
Ha, saw this before leaving for the night. You and a few others have made this discussion into a "only one side can be 100%" correct matter using an argument that has no support for accuracy or truth.

This is completely UNTRUE. My first post to you was this:

Quote:
I agree with you to a point. Not the lazy parent part but the teaching from a young age that the parents are the boss. I have two sons and yes they have gotten a smack on their butts because there are times that "time out" or "chit chatting" do NOT work. They will test you as they get older and there are times that nothing else gets their attention. It does NOT make a parent lazy.

Quote:
I have stated opinions and have backed up why I feel the way I do on this issue. You have stated that I have no clue what I'm doing as I'm not a parent. I will politely disagree until you show me credible professional studies stating that folks without kids don't know what they are doing with child rearing techniques. Until then your accusations have no validity. Funny that accuse me of attacking when your posting history pretty much all consists of attacking others, being belligerent, name calling, and trying to put others down that opinions differ from yours

It shows what your character is all about.......I refuse to lower myself to that level. Have a good day!
Yeah know what I do not attack people unless I am attacked first. Just like this post I did not attack you, call you names or anything like that so do not make statements about me like that. As I posted above my very first post in this thread was to YOU and was not attacking, name calling or belligerent so it is very clear that you are the one with the issue.

I stated that you can not know for sure because you can't. Nothing incorrect or wrong about that. You really think parenting can be tied up tight in a freakin study? That comment alone shows how little you know. There is no such thing as a right or wrong way to discipline your child. You as a parent do what works. This again comes back to the fact that you are not a parent so you can not understand that. You base everything you say on a study, that is NOT real life. You want people here to accept your view just because a study says so and you say so and I am telling you that until you live it you have very little creditability.

It is very clear you would rather focus on attacking me then actually having a discussion so perhaps you should look in the mirror before make accusations about others.

Old 12-18-2009, 03:08 PM

Get back to me when you have credible sources for your argument. Sorry, not going to take the bait.

Old 12-18-2009, 03:24 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,952,004 times
It should be illegal. It is assault. Would you like it if your manager spanked you with a belt for doing something wrong in the workplace?

Old 12-18-2009, 03:36 PM

37,972 posts, read 22,157,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner_Nation_60 View Post
I was spanked as a kid (spanked, not beat ~ there's a big difference). In my home "spare the rod, spoil the child" was the policy :-) We knew the rules and we followed them ~ not like today; kids make the rules. It's a shame....
I spanked all of my kids a handful of times each, when they were young, like a swat on the bottom every step from the middle of the road to the curb, or slap their hand when reaching into an electrical outlet or the stove top. But I never had to spank any of them before the age of two or three and never past age five.

Meanwhile, two of my sisters and my brother never spanked their kids, and they were undisciplined, holy terrors all the way thru school.

The government needs to keep away from our children unless their is actual lasting signs of physical abuse, and not just red bottoms and tears.

Old 12-18-2009, 07:32 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,487,074 times
Quote:
So I suppose a person should not comment on the way the government is run unless they have a government job? Or somebody's views/concerns/opinions aren't valid on the subject of homosexuality unless they are gay? It's insane thinking/excuses and a silly way to void somebody's opinion on a matter.
Commenting on something is a whole bunch of "different" than riding the absolute of how things "should be" train. Which is exactly how your posts have come across on this thread of "spanking".

Let's get back to facts. You are speaking about parents and how parents raise their children. Even MORE specifically, you are commenting about how you THINK parents should raise their children. Without having any.

How many people actually do NOT have the authority to sit behind the Resolute Desk (not under and not on top of) but still think they know how to run the world? A whole bunch. Are their points valid when they disagree with person who does? Sure.

But it's easy to speak on something you THINK you have clue about or an easy solution for, when you aren't the one in the trenches.... much like Obama did, before he got his butt behind the desk.

Old 12-18-2009, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyG View Post
Commenting on something is a whole bunch of "different" than riding the absolute of how things "should be" train. Which is exactly how your posts have come across on this thread of "spanking".

Let's get back to facts. You are speaking about parents and how parents raise their children. Even MORE specifically, you are commenting about how you THINK parents should raise their children. Without having any.

How many people actually do NOT have the authority to sit behind the Resolute Desk (not under and not on top of) but still think they know how to run the world? A whole bunch. Are their points valid when they disagree with person who does? Sure.

But it's easy to speak on something you THINK you have clue about or an easy solution for, when you aren't the one in the trenches.... much like Obama did, before he got his butt behind the desk.
I use techniques that were constructed by professionals that do have children......just because I don't have children it makes these same techniques wrong? It's proven that these techniques work wonders and I've seen it in action firsthand. It's worked for a ton of parents. Still haven't seen any credible studies linked here that state/prove folks without children aren't qualified on the techniques to raise children.

Old 12-18-2009, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Get back to me when you have credible sources for your argument. Sorry, not going to take the bait.

Get back to me when you actually HAVE kids and a clue.

Old 12-18-2009, 08:10 PM

Quote:
I use techniques that were constructed by professionals that do have children......just because I don't have children it makes these same techniques wrong? It's proven that these techniques work wonders and I've seen it in action firsthand. It's worked for a ton of parents. Still haven't seen any credible studies linked here that state/prove folks without children aren't qualified on the techniques to raise children.

What do you feel makes you more qualified then me?

Old 12-18-2009, 08:27 PM

Quote:
What do you feel makes you more qualified then me?
Again, show me some studies proving that somebody without children aren't as qualified to speak on proper ways to raise children and then we'll talk.

Quote:
Get back to me when you actually HAVE kids and a clue.
This means nothing and isn't really helping your argument.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies