Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2014, 06:09 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,654,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Well if Walmart wants to sell their cheap Chinese junk here to people like bobtn, they have to pay their store employees a decent wage! Otherwise the Waltons can sell it in some other country.

Maybe your area of the nation is so depressed, that minimum wage is common.

Here, where I live, the minimum wage is $7.15 an hour. No one is hired at that wage, unless they are here illegally from south of the border and I doubt they are making just minimum, here.

Hamburger joints here, are starting at $10 an hour.

Old 01-22-2014, 06:21 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,135,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Well if Walmart wants to sell their cheap Chinese junk here to people like bobtn, they have to pay their store employees a decent wage! Otherwise the Waltons can sell it in some other country.
Hence you get rid of jobs, and lower the median income of the country, while those on the top again, laugh at you..

Old 01-22-2014, 07:10 AM

1,480 posts, read 2,797,300 times
Over 600 replies to my original post! WOW!

But very few of them understood my point in my original post. Instead they acted like unless the person is making the exact minimum wage to the penny, it did not count.

Instead, I was hoping to get a conversation going about the large number of low wage workers, making under $10 an hour, and it's impact on America.

Old 01-22-2014, 07:13 AM

45,431 posts, read 60,623,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post

But very few of them understood my point in my original post. Instead they acted like unless the person is making the exact minimum wage to the penny, it did not count.

Instead, I was hoping to get a conversation going about the large number of low wage workers, making under $10 an hour, and it's impact on America.

You asked an open ended question which could have engendered multiple interpretations and you expected something different?

Your original question was answered within the first 20 posts.

You need to find a retirement job.

Old 01-22-2014, 07:18 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,215,148 times
Quote:

The market sets the wage rates. The lower the skill level required, the less the pay. At a certain point if you artificially try to mandate higher wage rates, you will find that companies react by figuring out ways to remove the need for those workers and justify the cost of using a robot or machine instead. Look to the fast food joints using a kiosk to order instead of cashiers.

Old 01-22-2014, 07:23 AM

1,743 posts, read 1,659,410 times
I can bet you most of the people that are making MW are illegals and people that came here , became legal but never got an education .

I am still waiting for someone on the liberal side to answer my question that was asked like 4 pages ago ?

Old 01-22-2014, 07:36 AM

13,966 posts, read 5,632,409 times
Quote:
Impact on America?

Downward pressure on price of goods, motivation for the Fed to continue holding inflation back with all their power, and foundation for low information class warfare zealots to blame it on rich people, when globalization & technology, immigration, and a continual decrease in both the work ethic and education levels of Americans is more to blame than the fact that success is still success.

Making all wages $10 or higher won't change any of that, minus upward pressure on price of goods and higher unemployment at the very lowest skill/value levels of employment. Doesn't stop globalization. Doesn't reverse technology trends. Doesn't stop immigration (something your government is trying to make much more pronounced). Doesn't reverse trends in education dumbing down, erosion of the American work ethic, or the destruction of the family.

It does nothing except force private business to increase their participation in the "workfare" system, while either ignoring or exacerbating every causal and/or relativistic issue that it seeks to "fix."

And the vast majority of people in the $10 and under ranks are teenagers/early 20 somethings who live with their parents in middle/upper class households, or folks with a 2nd/part time job, not the alleged father/husband taking care of a family of 4. What was the impact in any other era of America when teenagers and early 20 somethings living with their parents made at or near the minimum wage?

Old 01-22-2014, 08:14 AM

29,509 posts, read 14,668,503 times
Interesting. I seem to remember back in '98/99 (when it first effected me) when our company started "offshoreing " work , wondering what is going to happen to all these jobs that are going away. Thinking a middle class can't support itself without manufacturing and trades careers. Fast forward to now it seems like we have a vast majority of people trying to survive on low paying jobs service type jobs. Think there is a correlation here ? Personally I think we are reaping what we sowed years ago with the big push of letting our manufacturing and trades jobs go, unfair trade practices and again the focus on college being the only way to get a good paying career.
As much has I push the whole "buy American" thing , I feel that isn't going to be enough for us to recover. Globalization is a failure, at least for those that were on top, it's great if you were a third world country. Proof of that is seeing middle classes emerging in places like India and China. Who would have thought...

Old 01-22-2014, 08:50 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,198,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Maybe your area of the nation is so depressed, that minimum wage is common.

Here, where I live, the minimum wage is $7.15 an hour. No one is hired at that wage, unless they are here illegally from south of the border and I doubt they are making just minimum, here.

Hamburger joints here, are starting at $10 an hour.
Then you should have no issue with it being raised to $10/hr if even hamburger joints are already paying that amount and no one is being hired at the current minimum wage level. The increase by your statement should affect no one.

Old 01-22-2014, 08:52 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,198,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Interesting. I seem to remember back in '98/99 (when it first effected me) when our company started "offshoreing " work , wondering what is going to happen to all these jobs that are going away. Thinking a middle class can't support itself without manufacturing and trades careers. Fast forward to now it seems like we have a vast majority of people trying to survive on low paying jobs service type jobs. Think there is a correlation here ? Personally I think we are reaping what we sowed years ago with the big push of letting our manufacturing and trades jobs go, unfair trade practices and again the focus on college being the only way to get a good paying career.
As much has I push the whole "buy American" thing , I feel that isn't going to be enough for us to recover. Globalization is a failure, at least for those that were on top, it's great if you were a third world country. Proof of that is seeing middle classes emerging in places like India and China. Who would have thought...
That is why I prefer Regionalism over Globalism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies