Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2014, 09:00 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,249,633 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by picklejuice View Post
Whether or not the students hail from Oakland, California (or not) should be taken into consideration by the professor.
In Oakland, Ebonics is a recognized and legit language.
So you promote gutter or ghetto English?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2014, 09:04 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,993,101 times
"Everytime with the same goal and conclusion, something is wrong with the black race that needs to be fixed by black people in order for them to advance. Never fails never changes."

since it is so very prevalent, is it even remotely possible that there is a grain of truth to it? If there is, are you open minded enough to admit it?
Nearly every stereotype is based on some small fact that occurred many years ago, and may still be common.
If there is a stereotype about YOUR group that you don't like, seems to me it behooves YOU to make every effort to combat that stereotype!

Old 01-23-2014, 09:05 PM

20,130 posts, read 16,192,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Is it racist to correct black students grammar?
No.

I got into a huge argument with a professor and another black student in an education class over this. It is racist to have lesser expectations of students based on their race, including lower expectations of grammar and proper speech.

Old 01-23-2014, 09:07 PM

20,130 posts, read 16,192,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by picklejuice View Post
Whether or not the students hail from Oakland, California (or not) should be taken into consideration by the professor.
In Oakland, Ebonics is a recognized and legit language.
In the rest of America, where many will try to get a well paying job once they complete that college degree, it isn't.

Old 01-23-2014, 09:23 PM

3,138 posts, read 2,784,127 times
The ENTIRE tone of the article isn't written objectively. Rather, it's condescending and sarcastic. No wonder anyone reading it might interpret the students' behavior as overreacting?!? The writer has a viewpoint and it's a mistake that he chooses to impress that upon the reader. I had to dig through his jaded comments to actually get to the focus of his article.

Nevertheless, to answer your basic question: no, correcting someone's grammar is not an act of racism.

I personally am a huge proponent of correct grammar and syntax and do understand the professor's position on wanting to make the students' aware of their errors. How else can they/will they improve?

My inherent problem with this article lies in the fact that the students felt as though they were being singled out. It'd be interesting to see more of their examples and also, accurate documentation of the professor's objective findings.

Sigh...

Old 01-23-2014, 10:14 PM

7,605 posts, read 4,852,214 times
The question asked in the OP has very little to do with the circumstances that occurred and why the students were demonstrating.

Old 01-24-2014, 06:20 AM

3,537 posts, read 2,739,389 times
Racism eminating form a progressive college faculty? UCLA is a bastion of progressive professors- no way they can be racist

Old 01-24-2014, 07:24 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,920,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthlyfather View Post
So, the 'different standard' accusation by the student against the professor, was not supported, with proof? Is that what you are saying?
Yes.

The only way to establish a "different standard" is to compare standards. There weren't any comparisons offered, no evidence that other groups were corrected more leniently. If the professor corrected the grammar of all of his students consistently, then the complaint that he was more hostile to black students is unsupported. Which does not mean disproven. There just isn't enough information to support the protesting students' claims.

Old 01-24-2014, 07:27 AM

52,692 posts, read 34,624,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
No.

I got into a huge argument with a professor and another black student in an education class over this. It is racist to have lesser expectations of students based on their race, including lower expectations of grammar and proper speech.
exactly.

Old 01-24-2014, 07:59 AM

59,254 posts, read 27,425,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
25 students staging a sit in got their 15 minutes of fame.
I wonder if they misspelled words on their posters?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies