Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2014, 05:31 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Heathen View Post
People of Va need to start a petition to remove him from office. He took an oath to do his job and now he is refusing to do that. He needs to be removed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
How is he not doing his job?
his job as attorney general is to enforce the laws that have been passed in the state, not to determine their constitutionality, that is the purview of the courts, which is why we have a separation of powers in this country. the executive branch of government doesnt determine constitutionality of laws, nor do they write them. they enforce them.

if he is not enforcing the laws in his state, then he is not doing his job. he may choose to help the courts overturn the laws he doesnt like, but if a case comes across his desk regarding the law, he must properly deal with the case as the law was written and passed.

Old 01-23-2014, 05:32 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
Quote:
You're confusing enforce and defend. The State of Virginia is most certainly enforcing the law.

And the Attorney General most certainly does get to offer the legal opinions of Virginia's executive branch.
yes he can offer legal opinions, but they are just that, opinions. he may not defend the law, but he must enforce it until the courts decide if it is constitutional or not.

Old 01-23-2014, 05:38 PM

1,391 posts, read 1,233,893 times
Anyone that thinks gays should not be allowed to marry is equal, in my book, to people who didn't (or don't) think that people of different races should be allowed to marry. They are the same to me and anyone that thinks differently is morally bankrupt. Denying any two consenting adults the same privilege and right that other Americans enjoy is nothing short of a sin. We are basically a third world country when it comes to this. We're improving, but painfully slow. It's a damn shame to.

Old 01-23-2014, 05:43 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
yes he can offer legal opinions, but they are just that, opinions. he may not defend the law, but he must enforce it until the courts decide if it is constitutional or not.
And that is what he is doing, not defending the law.

Old 01-23-2014, 05:44 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 24 days ago)

29,558 posts, read 16,548,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
I think the AG is wrong. He is not elected to enforce laws selectively. He is elected to enforce the law, period. He doesn't get to decide if it is Constitutional or not. That isn't his job. He is acting as a tyrant.
Umm, based on this comment, i dont think you even understand what is being discussed.

He hasnt decided that the law is unconstitutional, the court will do that.

Old 01-23-2014, 05:49 PM

Quote:
This ^ If people of Va knew that he would refuse to do his job and STILL elected him then that's just sad and I feel sorry for those that were smart enough to NOT vote for him.

Unofficial results on election night showed Mark Obenshain (R) leading Mark Herring (D) by less than 1,000 votes out of nearly 2.2 million cast. A week later, by the midnight deadline for local election boards to submit results to the state, Herring had taken the lead by an unofficial 164 votes.[1][2] The State Board of Elections certified the results on November 25, 2013, announcing Herring had won by 165 votes.[3][4]

YEAHHHHHHH....I am sure that election was legit...funny how the libertarian who ran was given money by the democrats and they managed to win..hope the libertarians are happy wasting their vote and helping Va flow farther down the toilet...
1. You dont understand his job if you believe he has to defend the constitutionality of a law.

2.You do realize that Republicans controlled the state board of elections right ???? so if you are claiming fraud or if you simply dont understand the word unofficial, then it would be republicans committing that fraud and making their own candidate lose.

Old 01-23-2014, 05:52 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
How is he not doing his job?
It's not his job to pick and choose what the law is, his opinions on what the law is are irrelevant. That is for legislature or a court to decide. If one person is going to choose what the law is might as well make him dictator.

Old 01-23-2014, 05:53 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times
Quote:
Virginia Voters Start Recall Against New Governor | The Daily Currant

I feel sorry for the people of Va. I really do. So glad I decided against moving there...
You are aware the Daily Currant is a parody site, right? Or do you believe everything you read on the internet? I love how the Daily Currant exposes a sucker every day.

Old 01-23-2014, 05:57 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
He hasnt decided that the law is unconstitutional, the court will do that.
I don;t know the specifics in VA but as AG it is usually the duty of that office to defend the laws of the state in court, that's what he's refusing to do. Just like in PA the Governor will most likely have to appoint a special lawyer...

Old 01-23-2014, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
It's not his job to pick and choose what the law is, his opinions on what the law is are irrelevant. That is for legislature or a court to decide. If one person is going to choose what the law is might as well make him dictator.
except he isnt picking and choosing what the law is. He will still enforce the law.

the funny part is, I didnt see your post when those sheriffs in Texas and Colorado chose not to enforce the actual law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies