Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2014, 09:03 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,477,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
I think in America we need financial literacy being promoted better in poor communities.

Yes we need welfare but welfare programs can be limited with how well they can help people. People in many poor communities have money but many don't manage it well. You can go to any housing project and find people wearing $100 Jordans,Ralph Lauren Polo clothes,cars with expensive rims and stereo systems but how many have savings accounts,529 plans for their children's education or other invested money? Welfare is more of a band aid. Financial literacy will benefit the poor long term.

??? I can't imagine what good financial literacy would do me; I score 90% on every financial literacy test I see, except Kiyosaki's - he thinks a person is not financially literate unless they are able to borrow $1 million.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2014, 09:09 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,477,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Listen to what democrats and liberals whine about. It's all about helping themselves to someone else's money and they claim they are "caring" for others. That's the liberal lie and we can see through it.

That's why my cost-cutting solutions are far superior to liberal income redistribution.

Yet conservatives reject them. Only thing I can figure is classism.

Old 01-24-2014, 09:19 PM

7,530 posts, read 11,372,166 times
Here's an example of what I'm talking about with financial literacy in poor communities.

Quote:

That many poor people do not have a bank account—and that few of them understand why this puts them at a disadvantage (let alone other essentials of personal finance)—is at the heart of “the civil-rights issue of the 21st century”, says Mr Bryant. He calls the attempt to help people help themselves out of poverty through financial literacy and economic opportunity the “silver-rights movement”.

Financial literacy: Getting it right on the money | The Economist

Old 01-24-2014, 09:22 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,760,448 times
I believe if a man puts in the same hard work and works just as hard as anyone else they should get the same result. You can be ambitious, hardworking, keep away from things that hold you back etc. But without the right opportunities, your an ambitious, hardworking poor or homeless person. Lets face it ok, you need to work very hard to be financially successful but the other element is money creates opportunities. Without it your just ambitious and hardworking.

Old 01-24-2014, 09:33 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,760,448 times
Also I believe this ideal of you are poor because your lazy is unfortunate. I had startted a business about a decade ago that focuses on providing income opportunities for persons who are homeless and want to be productive. We have produced a product that has beaten 95% of corporate products, we have even won more awards. Some of my guys work almost everyday. And you know whats funny is we are the poorest business. Go figure. People rather buy from corporations(rich) then support making a difference.

Old 01-24-2014, 09:43 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,755,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
??? I can't imagine what good financial literacy would do me; I score 90% on every financial literacy test I see, except Kiyosaki's - he thinks a person is not financially literate unless they are able to borrow $1 million.
Maybe you read the wrong book. Yes he does talk about real-estate but to start and understand that rich mans mindset I would start with Cashflow Quadrant or Rich Dad Poor Dad.

Old 01-24-2014, 09:46 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,755,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
That's why my cost-cutting solutions are far superior to liberal income redistribution.

Yet conservatives reject them. Only thing I can figure is classism.
uhh Explain please?

Old 01-24-2014, 10:49 PM

30,274 posts, read 23,756,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Fingers View Post
I take it you're one heck of a planner.

I also assume you lay the blame squarely on the individual for their circumstances, with no acknowledgement of things that just happen. OK, I'll give you another scenario, and this doesn't even address the obvious " accident of birth" criterion. You know, the one where if you, by accident of birth, we're born in war torn sub Saharan Africa, it is your fault for not becoming as rich as Bill Gates......but let's leave that aside, because we all know your superlative planning is what got you your current birth situation.

Let's say you're in your fabulous job, when you suddenly get taken seriously sick. Let's say you need a liver transplant. Somehow, your meticulous planning has been unable to ward that off, but hey, sometimes substituting glasses of warm water for whiskey doesn't guarantee prevention.

Needless to say, you can't come to work, so your employer cans you. Before you say that's impossible in your case - and it may well be in your specific case - it is entirely possible for thousands of people. Now that your employer has canned you, you can't get coverage. By the way, I'm assuming you don't approve of the ACA, so we'll have to also assume that you're happy with pre- existing conditions not being covered.

Hmmmm....some planning this is going to have to take!
Bzzzt. Wrong again. As I stated, you can get medical insurance that lasts 364 days a year, it costs next to nothing, and they don't deny based on pre-existing conditions.

And wth does someone born in sub Saharan Africa have to do with the freeloaders in this country?

Old 01-24-2014, 11:07 PM

520 posts, read 597,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Bzzzt. Wrong again. As I stated, you can get medical insurance that lasts 364 days a year, it costs next to nothing, and they don't deny based on pre-existing conditions.

And wth does someone born in sub Saharan Africa have to do with the freeloaders in this country?
I take it you're referring to Medicaid? Where could you have gotten "next to nothing" medical insurance without pre-existing condition denial before the ACA?

I should have guessed the accident of birth rhetoric would be way too intellectually challenging for you, and for that I apologize.

Old 01-24-2014, 11:08 PM

520 posts, read 597,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
What is really happening is globalization is causing incomes of those with similar skill sets to converge. This is great for those workers in developing nations, good for capitalists and not so good for the Western worker.

There is no way to stop this trend without causing the Western worker even more harm.

Once again, the GINI coefficient did not start stagnating in Reagans term but the same year the Great Society programs were passed.
You summed it up quite well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies