Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2014, 06:17 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,004,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Because when Obama talks no one is listening any more.
That's the sad part. Yes, he was not the best Prez for the last six years but he is certainly telling the truth here about income inequality.

I know it might not be "truth" to Fox News watching reactionaries but then again the only truth they believe in is little anecdotal stories about "personal responsibility" and "gumption" told them like children by aging white men like Reagan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2014, 06:19 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,352,042 times
I'm just about finished with Woodward's book The Price of Politics which covers various negotiations between Pres. Obama and Speaker John Boehner.

At every juncture Obama was pushing for 'revenue' (tax hikes) or 'savings' (elimination of deductions). I found it incidentally interesting that he can never call a tax increase a tax increase. He always has to resort to euphemisms. But apart from that, here is a guy who claims to be worried about inequality, yet his first instinct is always to extract money from flyover country, and funnel it to the richest place in America--Washington DC.

Old 01-24-2014, 06:20 PM

12,638 posts, read 8,949,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
That's the sad part. Yes, he was not the best Prez for the last six years but he is certainly telling the truth here about income inequality.

I know it might not be "truth" to Fox News watching reactionaries but then again the only truth they believe in is little anecdotal stories about "personal responsibility" and "gumption" told them like children by aging white men like Reagan.
You really are pitiful. My advice to you is to try and harness your class envy and put it to use attempting to better your apparently sorry lot in life.

It's not my job or the government's job to make sure you live a satisfactory life. Your existence is in your hands and the sooner you figure that out the better off you will be. Unfortunately, you are a long, long, way off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
You mean his communism rhetorical? I was done when he said the republicans recklessly shut down the government.

Income equality is the driving force of the economy. It is a good thing.
Well at least you guys are being honest. I would rather conservatives and right wingers come out of the woodwork and just say what you just said. Be unapologetic about free enterprise. Stop hiding behind the populist rhetoric and just admit that you guys do not care about income inequality.

26,694 posts, read 14,555,493 times
Quote:

There is a country with income equality. Why don't you go take a look?

North Korea!

Old 01-24-2014, 06:21 PM

Quote:
There is a country with income equality. Why don't you go take a look?

North Korea!
What's your point? Are there really only two forms of politics in your ilk's political compass?

Liberty Lovin' Freedom promoting conservatism OR dark ugly Islamic communism? You're one or the other?

Old 01-24-2014, 06:22 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,555,493 times
Quote:
Well at least you guys are being honest. I would rather conservatives and right wingers come out of the woodwork and just say what you just said. Be unapologetic about free enterprise. Stop hiding behind the populist rhetoric and just admit that you guys do not care about income inequality.
I came from a country previously had great income equality. Would you like to know how it was?

Old 01-24-2014, 06:25 PM

22,653 posts, read 24,575,170 times
This tired and worn-out meme is way past its pull-date..........Dear Leader Hussein is pathetic in his whininess.

Old 01-24-2014, 06:26 PM

Quote:
I came from a country previously had great income equality. Would you like to know how it was?
Does that matter? Because whatever country you came from it won't change the fact that income inequality has greatly increased in the States.

Just because you can say that we're better than X country, doesn't mean that we should be comparing ourselves to an underdeveloped nation. We should be comparing ourselves to the best out there and seeing where we stack up.

Old 01-24-2014, 06:27 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,779,270 times
Quote:
This speech is amazing! I lost all hope in Obama since the last election but this speech really hit the nail on the head. It is right on point. Stagnant wages since the late 70s, outsourcing and automation, reliance on debt finance, financial bubbles propping up an economy that lost a huge productive base, inflation, etc. he said it all.

I was shocked to hear a politician say any of this. How in the hell was this not major major news?
Umm... because the liberals all know he didn't mean any of it?

They knew that all he's actually going to do, is keep doing what he's done for the first five years: Take money from the high earners and transfer it to the low earners, make laws ordering people to have equal outcomes, put cronies in charge of more and more departments, and give bailouts to businesses his policis ruin, if he feels they are worth saving.

That's why this speech, describing all these new directions we can work on, is ignored by the press: They know he won't actually do any of it. It's all just talk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies