Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you going to watch the SOTU speech?
YES and I am a Democrat 11 11.22%
NO and I am a Democrat 5 5.10%
YES and I am unaffiliated with any party 16 16.33%
NO and I am unaffiliated with any party 37 37.76%
YES and I am a Republican 3 3.06%
NO and I am a Republican 20 20.41%
I'm not sure if I will watch or not/other (please explain) 6 6.12%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 05:33 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,311,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
You are aware every president gives a State of the Union speech every year, right? This wasn't some random speech for the fun of it because Obama wanted to hear himself talk.
Of course we are aware. But we don't have to watch it. In Obama's case, it is a meaningless jeremiad filled with the clichés from the slop trough of progressive thought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2014, 05:35 AM

577 posts, read 436,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfman View Post
Why the hell does anyone still follow Obama after that ridiculous SotU speech filled with platitudes?

Is anyone here smart enough to see he said nothing more than a young woman in a Miss America contest?

Seriously, have we digressed this far?
'He said far more than that pathetic GOP response.

He didnt' say anything that didn't surprise any of us. HOwever, watching it I knew that NONE of it would get accomplished..

NONE of his agenda really has been able to.

Because he is one man that has been the most obstructed President in HISTORY with the idiots in the GOP unwilling to compromise and stalling this nation from moving forward.

Deficits were cut in half - but you won't acknowledge that.. no Republican will
He talked about raising the minimum wage - but we all know that Republicans would rather keep people working for .. well hardly anything while simultaneously whining about the welfare they collect while doing so
He talked about clean energy - but we all know that Republicans just want to open piplelnes that pollute because their rich oil and dirty energy cronies need to make a lot of money
He talked about his plans for Afghanistan
He talked about how he would veto any bill putting sanctions on Iran WHILE TALKS were still in the works (how do you expect a foreign country to negotiate in good faith when you are basically openly saying htey won't complly - its idiocy. YOu deal with the extra sanctions IF Iran doesn't go through .. AFTER the negotiations hav been made).

But hte GOP response.. lets see.. this is what I got from it.
She had a baby 8 weeks ago
That baby has downs syndrome.
Obamacare is bad
We have some plan for jobs (but they won't tell us what it is).
America is great - the land of opportunity (without acknowleging that it hasn't been for nearly 2 decades!)
Oh.. she grew up on some farm in a small town
She loves God

At least she didn't have to keep reaching for a glass of water. But she talked down to everyone like they were her children she was reading a fairy tale too..

So, while I listened to SOTU address I didn't get as enthused as I normally do.. because I about expect more of NOTHING from dysfunctional congress and the obstructionist Republicans..

This is the most obstructed President ever...

Old 01-29-2014, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
The sexism in the first one minute of the speech was too much for me, I politely choked, and had to excuse myself before I retched.

" A male auto worker, a female teacher, blah blah" ..stop it...men teach school, and women work in manufacturing...this is well past 1910!

I hear heard the rest of the speech went down from there. No loss.
I too thought we got over that era a few decades ago. Or is he now trying to make comparisons and draw some kind of "equal effort" conclusion that two unrelated types of work should be paid the same? That would definitely be a Marxist-Leninist view of labor.

This man is dangerous.

Old 01-29-2014, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novadhd5150 View Post
He thought it was funny that his Obamacare law was repealled 40 times. No it isnt really funny.
Don't tell me he, once again, beat that dead horse! The man is desparate for something to use against Republicans, if he had to drag that one out again. This shows he is running out of ammunition.

Old 01-29-2014, 05:45 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,175,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
I turned it on when it started and saw all the puppets shaking Obamas hand as he walked down the isle....... Totally disgusting how many ppl do not know the reality of whats going on!!

I turned it off when he got to the podium..... (I was not planning on watching that garbage)

I don't get it. Why do these people want to shake hands with a guy who just a few years ago was just a back-bencher in the Senate???

Old 01-29-2014, 05:46 AM

21,136 posts, read 19,722,567 times
Quote:
saw all the puppets shaking Obamas hand as he walked down the isle...
I got to thinking about this. I always thought this part of the ceremony was rather unbecoming of American ideals. The near-infatuation of the President as he enters makes me wonder what the Founding Fathers would think of this display of idolization. (And I realize it was done for past Presidents.)

We know, for example, that Washington was reserved and was not the back-slapping type. Jefferson, of course, discontinued the speech and delivered his St.of U. in writing. Madison was a shy individual. Etc.

Old 01-29-2014, 05:52 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
I turned it on when it started and saw all the puppets shaking Obamas hand as he walked down the isle....... Totally disgusting how many ppl do not know the reality of whats going on!!

I turned it off when he got to the podium..... (I was not planning on watching that garbage)
Yep, I watched it. I watch all of them no matter who the president is. I prefer hearing the words in context as opposed to going with FOX/MSNBC spin on it.

He asked for corporate tax cuts for the 4th time. Let's see if GOP acts on it.

Old 01-29-2014, 05:55 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
I got to thinking about this. I always thought this part of the ceremony was rather unbecoming of American ideals. The near-infatuation of the President as he enters makes me wonder what the Founding Fathers would think of this display of idolization. (And I realize it was done for past Presidents.)
It used to be done in writing until Wilson made it standing up in front of the Congress, and of course TV wasn't around at that time. Johnson delivered the first televised SOTU.

I find it hard to believe that anyone who is even remotely interested in politics would not want to see it.

Old 01-29-2014, 05:55 AM

577 posts, read 436,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Yep, I watched it. I watch all of them no matter who the president is. I prefer hearing the words in context as opposed to going with FOX/MSNBC spin on it.

He asked for corporate tax cuts for the 4th time. Let's see if GOP acts on it.

GOP won't act on it.. becuase anything they actually want to that the Presidents want, they won't do because they don't care about this country.. only about winning hte next Presidential election and god forbid things get done and accomplished under a Democratic Presidents watch!

Old 01-29-2014, 05:56 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,858,535 times
I watch it from beginning to end, it sucked, he lied a bit, deceived a bit, made some weak threats, offered little hope, and implemented worthless changes... Did you hear about the MyRA? Really, you expect people to go for that piece of crap of retirement plan?

Here's What You Need To Know About MyRA - Business Insider
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies