Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you going to watch the SOTU speech?
YES and I am a Democrat 11 11.22%
NO and I am a Democrat 5 5.10%
YES and I am unaffiliated with any party 16 16.33%
NO and I am unaffiliated with any party 37 37.76%
YES and I am a Republican 3 3.06%
NO and I am a Republican 20 20.41%
I'm not sure if I will watch or not/other (please explain) 6 6.12%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 05:59 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,016,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
Is that going to be an exercise in King Obama's tyrannical power or is he going to actually attempt to pass a bill through Congress?
Yes and no. He can't get a minimum wage raise through congress so he's doing what he's been doing for a while now, acting as a prime minister, ignoring and going around congress and writing the only minimum wage increase he can "legally" put into action.

For the people (person) who's thrilled with this, I'm glad you're happy, you're (we're) going to be paying for it via taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2014, 07:11 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,311,358 times
Quote:
I'm going to post a poll to find out who will actually be watching the SOTU address.

Personally, I have better things to do than listen to more lies and personal attacks on my character, which is what King Obama usually serves up in his campaign speeches.
Why would I want to watch a speech dredged from the slop trough of "Progresivism?"

Old 01-28-2014, 07:13 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,311,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
I am so tired of Obama and his words.. I cant believe anything he says so why listen?
We already know the contents. No need to watch.

Old 01-28-2014, 07:48 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,138,992 times
I don't have to watch TSOU tonight. I already saw it this morning on CNN. They had a lengthy interview with Valerie Jarret, the REAL power in the White House. We all know she sends Obumbler off to campaign so she can run things without his interference. She probably wrote the speech he'll read off the teleprompter tonight.

Old 01-28-2014, 07:56 AM

13,961 posts, read 5,625,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe199 View Post
I fully expect you to either watch and/or react violently on this board to what he says in the SOTU.

You apparently already know what he's going to say, so why waste time reading the transcript? I'm just trying to figure out the source of your anger.
I'm not angry at all. I accepted the decline of this particular empire a long time ago, and do what I can on my individual level to make the best of it as it happens and to avoid the more predatory of my fellow citizens.

If I do read a transcript, it will be because people are quoting bits and pieces of it that are newsworthy. Beyond that, the only feeling I have for the opening hour long campaign speech for the DNC's 2014 season is exhausted apathy. He'll lie, the Dems will cheer, the Republicans will say he lied, then tell some of their own lies, and the various competing networks will try to parse every syllable as if Obama just delivered some vision of statesmanship that surpasses Cicero and Plato. And of course, some of his speech tonight will be just downright funny in how banal, vapid and self-congratulatory it is.

But I am not mad about it. Nothing to get mad about really. The country has been run by tyranny since Wilson was President, and the only thing that changes is the name above the tyrant's throne. So since I've been alive, I've been a subject to said tyranny. Obama is just this week's tinpot tyrant in chief.

Old 01-28-2014, 08:02 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,678,440 times
Quote:
I'm going to post a poll to find out who will actually be watching the SOTU address.

Personally, I have better things to do than listen to more lies and personal attacks on my character, which is what King Obama usually serves up in his campaign speeches.
He will just tell us how he will abuse the powers of his office to circumvent the people's house of representatives with his newly found dictatorial powers.

Old 01-28-2014, 08:12 AM

511 posts, read 799,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
I'll listen and look forward to him apologizing for all the misrepresentations (Lies) about the Affordable Care Act, Benghazi and find out how his Investigation into the IRS is going.

Or maybe we'll just hear more lies ?? You saying we can't believe anything the man says ?
He won't apologize. He never accepts blame. He will certainly boast that millions of Americans now have health insurance for the first time. Forget about the many many more millions who lost their coverage.

Old 01-28-2014, 08:53 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,734,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
ignoring and going around congress
I'm a little worried about him going around congress. It feels like a test to see if he can get away with it. If he does he will keep pushing it further and further.

Old 01-28-2014, 08:55 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,734,548 times
Obama does not work with the opposing side, even constantly attacking them then expecting them to give him his way and if they don't he calls it obstructing. It's like a neighborhood bully that no one wants to be around.

Old 01-28-2014, 10:45 AM

13,961 posts, read 5,625,642 times
apparently, I am not the only person who finds the SOTU to be a "thoroughly wretched" and un-American display of pomp and arrogance. Read more: Great Caesar's Ghost by Kevin D. Williamson.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies