Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 03:41 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,457,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
"Anarchist crowd?" Who in Congress doesn't think government is needed?

Where did you study American government? Do you not understand that it is functioning exactly as it was designed to function? Congress was not intended to be a rubber stamp for an imperial presidency. The reason we have separation of powers, and a bicameral legislature is to prevent tyranny of the majority.
“If men were angels, no government would be necessary. If angels were to govern men, neither external nor internal controls on government would be necessary. In framing a government which is to be administered by men over men, the great difficulty lies in this: you must first enable the government to control the governed; and in the next place oblige it to control itself. A dependence on the people is, no doubt, the primary control on the government; but experience has taught mankind the necessity of auxiliary precautions.” — James Madison, The Federalist Papers

Anarchist is a strong word but I've exposed some loudmouth right-wingers on this board as being anarchists at heart, and the more extreme Tea Party and Libertarian individuals wouldn't disagree with most of its basic tenets.

Anarchy is not a horrible idea on paper, it's basically that the government should be unnoticeable and that the current functions of government should be entirely provided by the community. The fact is that this will cripple our vastly interconnected 21st century economy, and that it's a bad idea to trust people who have the wealth and power to do anything to, out of the goodness of their hearts, solely do what's right for the community.

But no, I don't think that, in deadlock over some debate, the default action should be nothing. Then, a small number of people, elected by a small fraction of the public, who want the government to do nothing know they can dig their heels in and win by default.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2014, 07:34 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,629,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Just how does the big corporations run the country?????.. doesn't the government regulate big business.. Oh yes, big business will lobby , which I think is just bribes and our elected officials including Obama take the bribes . If they didn't take the bribes , big business has NO INFLUENCE..

If a police officer takes bribe money they are dirtier than the one giving the bribe.. if one cannot be bribed, they have all the power.. the elected officials have that power to be bribed or not.
Big business regulates our government because government regulates them. The combination is what's bad for America. It's gotten to the point that we consider this a healthy way to elect our officials.

Campaign financing:
PACs, soft money, independent expenditures, and issue ads.We allow corporations to indirectly or directly support political campaigns. Big Businesses can buy access to our government. To be fair, we had a hand in creating this with over regulating.
Then, after all that there is lobbying, and lobbying differs. Direct lobbying, soft lobbying, grassroots lobbying, etc. I'm sure you already understand what I mean.

You know why big banks got bailed out? Because they could threaten to topple the stock market and ruin our country. That's pretty powerful motivation. You know why insurance companies effect public health care? They can threaten to ruin the job market.

We are tied together like a real estate agent and an appraiser or inspector, not like a cop and criminal or citizen. The system is not set up for the common American citizen like the appraiser or inspector isn't really doing their job for the betterment of the home owner, it's set up to help each other create business, make the sale go through, make money on both ends. Government gets funds, and favors while large corporations get a pass on regulation. The Washington Triangle or Iron Triangle.
Example: Pharma - The Pharmaceutical “Iron Triangle” | OMSJ

The FAA, FCC, all of these have government access. They pay for it.

Then theres NAFTA - just read up on that one. That doesn't really benefit us, but it does benefit others who reside here. Cough, cough.

And yes, Obama and every other president takes the bribes but it goes all the way down the pike, in every crevice of our government. You wouldn't even know who Obama was if he wasn't willing to take them. Even our religions have a cut, yes, try running for office if you aren't Christian. It's very hard, even our religions have learned to influence our government. If you run you better hold our values or we will tell our church goers not to vote for you.

It's who we are, we are the only large country with a capitalist influenced government. Most countries have a social or communist government and a capitalist economy. It makes a difference when you look at the common man or woman to be PC. lol The bottom line is profit, for money makes the world a safer, and happier place for all. But only the top 1% actually get it. Because it takes money to make money.

Government has been bought, but to be fair we did put it up for sale. Hey, theres always the lottery.

Last edited by PoppySead; 01-29-2014 at 08:26 PM..

Old 01-29-2014, 07:36 PM

8,061 posts, read 4,899,690 times
I have read some of the post and I chuckle because the Obamites swallowed the cool aid not only once, but twice. You Blame Bush, Romney and the Tea Party. Every else for the problems that this President has been unable to solve.

Bush had 911 and had to clean up the mess from the Clintons not pursuing Bin Laden. (Cobalt Towers, Uss Cole). Bush is not in office anymore.

Everyone on the left and Dems fear the Tea Party, because the Tea Party is for smaller Gov and a Balance Federal Budget. I have not seen or head of this alter evil Tea Party that the left claims. WE Peacefully demonstrated against O-Care and even picked up our trash.

I have the Wall Street Protestors around the country destroy public and City property. Cost business owners thousands of dollars.:c onfused:
McCain, what can you say he plays both end to the middle!

Romney on the other hand is what we really needed to clean up the first 4 years of Obama. We may of just had a balanced budget and right size the Federal Gov. We needed Romney because he can grow the Economy, because he grew his own business. The man worked very hardtop get where he is now. A lot of you based your vote on "Your Feelings" if he related to the common man.
Hog wash! I want any President to do there job. I do not need him to be my buddy!

Obama has the idea of wealth redistributing and equal pay???? What ever that is, but his programs have been a failure and reason for the Week State of the Union.

Old 01-29-2014, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
Big business regulates our government because government regulates them. The combination is what's bad for America. It's gotten to the point that we consider this a healthy way to elect our officials.

Then theirs NAFTA - just read up on that one. That doesn't really benefit us, but it does benefit others who reside here. Cough, cough.

Government has been bought, but to be fair we did put it up for sale.

I have brought up Nafta before and there has been some very well informed post on the forum.Is there any review on this from year to year in the FTC or Congress?

I have not found a clear answer on this?????

Old 01-29-2014, 08:22 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,629,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOSTRIDER AZ View Post
I have brought up Nafta before and there has been some very well informed post on the forum.Is there any review on this from year to year in the FTC or Congress?

I have not found a clear answer on this?????
What I do know is that lawyers on the side of large corps can challenge the FTC and put a lot on hold. The corp then continues to make it's money, have it's advertising, etc. until it's brought up later. Where as small companies cannot so they end up on the losing end.

As far as review, I know it has to go through a lot of agencies before it gets a review from the FTC. COMS meets yearly to review, then there is the agencies from Mexico and Canada. It's a lot to get through. With a lot accidentally missed.

Reopening NAFTA would really be hard at this point. It's decades of talks and promises, and if we wanted to change things, so would Mexico and Canada and the flood gates would be opened. We are global now, and it's a fast moving train that is almost impossible to regulate fully or stop at all for that matter. I'm no expert though, but I know enough to be concerned and aware.

I'm not exactly sure if I addressed your question but hopefully and if not feel free to share. If you can link any threads or talks that would be great.

Old 01-29-2014, 10:15 PM

41,109 posts, read 25,802,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOSTRIDER AZ View Post

Everyone on the left and Dems fear the Tea Party, because the Tea Party is for smaller Gov and a Balance Federal Budget. I have not seen or head of this alter evil Tea Party that the left claims. WE Peacefully demonstrated against O-Care and even picked up our trash.

I have the Wall Street Protestors around the country destroy public and City property. Cost business owners thousands of dollars.:c onfused:
McCain, what can you say he plays both end to the middle!

Romney on the other hand is what we really needed to clean up the first 4 years of Obama. We may of just had a balanced budget and right size the Federal Gov. We needed Romney because he can grow the Economy, because he grew his own business. The man worked very hardtop get where he is now. A lot of you based your vote on "Your Feelings" if he related to the common man.
Hog wash! I want any President to do there job. I do not need him to be my buddy!

Obama has the idea of wealth redistributing and equal pay???? What ever that is, but his programs have been a failure and reason for the Week State of the Union.
If the Obama administration didn't fear the tea party they wouldn't hammer at them so hard. Why do they fear them? Because they do stand for the American people. Obama and his administration wants an American people that will let him do what he wants even though it is hurting us. The tea party wants to stop him but Obama followers are so blinded and they can't see because they believe everything Obama throws them.

Worse yet they are doing it for bones.

Old 01-29-2014, 10:41 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,787,516 times
As for me, when I think back to 2008, I need only one name to ensure myself I made the right decision. Palin. Dodging that bullet was more than worth it all.

The Tea Party has shown itself to be corrupt and inept in congress. Having one of those loons in the White House would have been a disaster. We'd probably be at war with Iran right now, with a few more tax cuts to pay for it.

Old 01-29-2014, 10:48 PM

41,109 posts, read 25,802,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
As for me, when I think back to 2008, I need only one name to ensure myself I made the right decision. Palin. Dodging that bullet was more than worth it all.

The Tea Party has shown itself to be corrupt and inept in congress. Having one of those loons in the White House would have been a disaster. We'd probably be at war with Iran right now, with a few more tax cuts to pay for it.
lol, and one of the liberal loons just showed up ^^^^ he believes everything "the dear leader" says

Old 01-30-2014, 01:50 AM

9,828 posts, read 9,441,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
lol, and one of the liberal loons just showed up ^^^^ he believes everything "the dear leader" says
He's 100% correct though. All factions of the Republican Party stink.

Romney wanted to overhaul the tax code...in such a way that favored (you guessed it) the wealthiest Americans: Study: Romney tax plan would result in cuts for rich, higher burden for others - The Washington Post

Obama could be doing as bad as right-wingers claim (he isn't, not even close) and I still wouldn't regret voting for him twice. In favor of a Republican?! Good one.

Old 01-30-2014, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
Palin would of brought come sense and here strong back ground in a oil and mining state would of made the difference in turning this lame economy back on track for growth. Obama and Biden probably did the worse thing.
Over promised and under Deliver. What the Dem actually Deliver was failure in the Obama care the way it was forced thru. These so called stimulus packages to his buddy's in the unions and so called infrastructure. Failure after Failure . This President was racked up a 17t dollar bill and refuses to have a balance budget.

a poor foreign policy that has no accountability, Bengazi

The Tea Party or the Rep on the other does not have them majority in the Senate. However, they have influence major change and we are slowly gaining head way on the out of control Federal Spending. If there is "corruption" I have not seen it.

Shutting the Gov for Budget that make sense? Yes all the way. The problem is the Senate would not defund Obama care after clearly the numbers did not show a savings never mind good health Insurance for all. What's really funny now is the Dem's are running away from the President and Obama Care.
What has bubbled to the surface is the Obama and the DNC targeting the Tea Party thru the White House.
The question on inept and corrupt?
The Tea party has actually helped the process of responsible Federal Spending and a Balance Budget goal. We as a country are not there, but it takes time weed the Garden we call Wash DC. The tea party is not your usual Political Group. Its citizens loosely joining together. Just the ideal of Conservatives coming together utters fear in the Back Rooms of the White House and Harry Reid's Office
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies