Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 09:24 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,815,512 times

Advertisements

Why can't the issue of "state's rights" be co-opted by the left? For example, couldn't the legalization of marijuana in Colorado be an example of it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2014, 09:27 AM

18,462 posts, read 7,094,796 times
The very phrase is fighting words to the Left, the entire concept runs contrary to their core philosophy.

Old 01-29-2014, 09:27 AM

5,563 posts, read 4,264,225 times
I'd love to, but the racist history of "state's rights" warns me that it would be taken to some very ugly extremes by certain portions of our country.

Also, the idea the masses of people could just up and move to states they like is so silly and impractical, it boggles the mind.

Old 01-29-2014, 09:30 AM

3,555 posts, read 4,097,013 times
Why doesn't the right support states rights when it comes to things like gay marriage? Instead they favor a federal law.

Old 01-29-2014, 09:32 AM

5,563 posts, read 4,264,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grsz11 View Post
Why doesn't the right support states rights when it comes to things like gay marriage? Instead they favor a federal law.
^^^ Yep. Rep to you.

Old 01-29-2014, 09:35 AM

23,861 posts, read 24,119,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
Also, the idea the masses of people could just up and move to states they like is so silly and impractical, it boggles the mind.
I did. Brought five other people with me, too. We're going to do it again in a couple of years.

People move between states all the time, for tons of different reasons. Not sure how the heck you came up with the above statement.

Old 01-29-2014, 09:36 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,946,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Why can't the issue of "state's rights" be co-opted by the left? For example, couldn't the legalization of marijuana in Colorado be an example of it?
Exactly. State's right to do what? I don't smoke pot, and I choose not to do so. My rights are not being violated if some wishes to smoke pot.

It is when a state tries to limit rights in favor of one group over another, that is when constitutional questions arise.

When a state through legislation tries to circumvent the US Constitution, then constitutional questions arise.

When a state tries to recind rights held by it's constutients, then constitutional questions arise.

When State's tries to write state legislation that conflicts with the federal government statutes or provisions, constitutional questions arise.

Old 01-29-2014, 09:38 AM

7,713 posts, read 4,750,449 times
Quote:
I agree with you on the hypocrisy of the right here, but that's still just an excuse. It's like me telling my daughter to brush her teeth & her responding "But my brother didn't brush his teeth". Now you both have disgusting teeth. Enjoy your big moral victory.

Old 01-29-2014, 09:40 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,084,411 times
Quote:
I do support states' rights when it comes to gay marriage. The least thing I'd want is a federal law outlawing gay marriage. It's not a constitutional issue. It's a state issue. If EVERY, single state wanted to pass gay marriage, and all did it on their own, I'd have absolutely no problem with it.

Old 01-29-2014, 09:41 AM

7,713 posts, read 4,750,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
The concept of freedom by states or individuals is contrary to the progressive philosophy of centralized power/control of a small group of elites/corporations. I don't say this to be inflammatory, it is exactly what they believe in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies