Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2014, 04:51 PM

1,191 posts, read 1,591,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kia25 View Post
One of the biggest concerns we as black people have about racial inequality is the fact that white people have a greater accumulation of wealth than we do. Many of us believe that if we were to attain the same level of wealth it would fix many of the psychological and social problems that we face as a collective group of people. But I for one have serious doubts about this.

Take East Asia for example, they are on the cusp of world domination, and yet they still hold white people in such high regard. They get plastic surgery to look more "western" and many Asian women still prefer white men over their own. What's up with that?

As an African American it makes me wonder what would happen if Africa were to rise economically. Would black men stop preferring white women? Would black women stop bleaching their skin and wearing hair weaves? I have a feeling it would only get worse with more money. Within a hundred years Africa would become a Mulatto Nation. I don't care what anyone says, I think a lot of white women have a thing for black guys. Action speaks louder than words. If Africa becomes a more prosperous continent, white women will flock to it. Do you honestly think black men will turn them away?
I think you are looking at two different things. First, you are looking at the economic situation of Africa. Second, you are looking at social norms of black people. Then you ask if the one will change the other. The problem is you are dealing with two very broad and ambiguous concepts.

Africa is continent. There is no uniform culture. A couple of countries can experience an economic boom while others struggle. The cultural and social fabric on the ground will determine how foreigners interact with the local cultures in those countries.

For example, if an American black man or a West Indian black man moved to an economically prosperous Nigeria white women would be the last thing on their minds. They would want what all immigrants want, a chance at success. If anything marrying into the local culture would be more profitable than seeking out the rare white woman wondering around Lagos.

You are using the Western "Pan Africanist" view of black culture and projecting that onto Africa and Africans. That does't work. In general people from Africa do not think along those lines. On the contient ethnic loyalties trump Western notions of so-called blackness. In many ways "black" is a catch all term. And the notion of being "black" didn't originate with Africans. That's why they don't latch onto it the way we Western blacks do. Why call yourself "black" which is just as ambiguous as calling yourself "white" when you can call yourself Wolof or Hausa?

Not to mention you are making a ton of assumptions. Most black men prefer white women? Really? You do know that nearly 90% of all married black men in America are married to black women right? And weaves are popular across the board with all American women. Most of the women you see on TV or in the media have some kind of hair extension if they are not wearing short hair. Weaves are an extension of make up and fashion. The thing is most men (myself included) can't spot a weave to save our lives. A LOT of non-black women walking past you on a daily basis have some kind of hair extensions. You just focus on the black women.

Old 01-31-2014, 12:51 PM

1,373 posts, read 2,966,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliDude1 View Post
I think you are looking at two different things. First, you are looking at the economic situation of Africa. Second, you are looking at social norms of black people. Then you ask if the one will change the other. The problem is you are dealing with two very broad and ambiguous concepts.

Africa is continent. There is no uniform culture. A couple of countries can experience an economic boom while others struggle. The cultural and social fabric on the ground will determine how foreigners interact with the local cultures in those countries.

For example, if an American black man or a West Indian black man moved to an economically prosperous Nigeria white women would be the last thing on their minds. They would want what all immigrants want, a chance at success. If anything marrying into the local culture would be more profitable than seeking out the rare white woman wondering around Lagos.

You are using the Western "Pan Africanist" view of black culture and projecting that onto Africa and Africans. That does't work. In general people from Africa do not think along those lines. On the contient ethnic loyalties trump Western notions of so-called blackness. In many ways "black" is a catch all term. And the notion of being "black" didn't originate with Africans. That's why they don't latch onto it the way we Western blacks do. Why call yourself "black" which is just as ambiguous as calling yourself "white" when you can call yourself Wolof or Hausa?

Not to mention you are making a ton of assumptions. Most black men prefer white women? Really? You do know that nearly 90% of all married black men in America are married to black women right? And weaves are popular across the board with all American women. Most of the women you see on TV or in the media have some kind of hair extension if they are not wearing short hair. Weaves are an extension of make up and fashion. The thing is most men (myself included) can't spot a weave to save our lives. A LOT of non-black women walking past you on a daily basis have some kind of hair extensions. You just focus on the black women.

Most men with a lot of money prefer white women, think Tiger Woods. I have NEVER seen a black woman who does not wear weave (in real life not TV) yet It's always a surprise when a white girl wears extensions.

Last edited by angrymillionaire; 01-31-2014 at 02:10 PM..

Old 01-31-2014, 01:43 PM

98 posts, read 118,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angrymillionaire View Post
Most men with a lot of money prefer white women, think Tiger Woods. I have NEVER seen a black woman whose does not wear weave (in real life not TV) yet It's always a surprise when a white girl wears extensions.

With this statement I am almost certain you have not been around many black women. Most men with a lot of money do not marry white women considering the mass majority of athletes are with women their own race or another minority NOT white. FACT.

Old 01-31-2014, 02:27 PM

1,373 posts, read 2,966,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeWine View Post
With this statement I am almost certain you have not been around many black women. Most men with a lot of money do not marry white women considering the mass majority of athletes are with women their own race or another minority NOT white. FACT.
You can't be serious

Hear dear!

https://www.google.at/?gws_rd=cr&ei=...an+white+woman

also

Why I Sold Out******************** I am a successful black man

By the way I dont agree with this guy. IMO its only natural when people date within their own race. Just a preference I have,

Old 01-31-2014, 02:38 PM

94,291 posts, read 125,222,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrestigiousReputability View Post
I disagree with so much of this.

First of all, few women wear hair weaves to look European. Europeans are not the only race with straight hair. Most women do it to make their hair more manageable and to look better to guys, who mostly happen to have the preference of long hair.

Secondly, most people in East Asia aren't wealthy. The only nations where most ppl are reasonably well-off are South Korea and Japan (and I guess the tiny locations of Hong Kong and Taiwan which arguably aren't even nations).

Thirdly, you make it sound like most black women bleach their skin. The vast majority of black women don't bleach their skin though of course some do, yes there is a market. But you're really making it seem like skin bleaching is some huge-scale epidemic which is really not true. And even with that being said, skin bleaching wouldn't make ANY black person look white but it would make them look like a BLACK person with lighter skin. If that's what you find attractive then more power to ya!

Fourthly, who cares if some black men prefer white women; and some white women prefer black men. If that's their preference then go for it!! There are enough purebread people on this world to sustain some intermixing. Even most mulattoes can pass as black ESPECIALLY when the black parent is *pure* african. And what person applies for citizenship in a foreign land for the sole purpose of reproducing with them? That's ridiculous.... I mean, yes there have been instances of sex tourism but few ppl are stupid enough to engage in unprotected sex in those "expeditions".

Fifthly, I do agree that money doesn't fix all problems but it would help solve most problems. For example, the whole starvation/water access issues in various parts of Africa would no longer be a problem. Almost everybody would have access to decent housing and sanitation. People wouldn't have to resort to crime for survival. Almost everybody would have access to medicines. Those who want education will have access to it.

Bottom-line: You sound like a paranoid and out-of-touch trainwreck. Get a grip!
This and it doesn't even get into the fact that some Whites that tan, get lip and butt injections to make both of those parts "fuller" and other things that people do. So, even those things cut across all races to some degree.

Old 01-31-2014, 02:40 PM

94,291 posts, read 125,222,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliDude1 View Post

This too..............

Old 01-31-2014, 02:46 PM

1,943 posts, read 3,348,915 times
Quote:
You can't be serious

Hear dear!

also

By the way I dont agree with this guy. IMO its only natural when people date within their own race. Just a preference I have,

No you can't be serious. So you're saying because of some random search on google it speaks for every successful black man? Stop feeding into the bias of the media.

Btw, MANY of BLACK women wear natural hair.

Old 01-31-2014, 03:09 PM

98 posts, read 118,184 times
Quote:
You can't be serious

Hear dear!

also

You did a google search and expect me to take you seriously?

Also a lot of times weaves and extensions in the black community have a negative stigma attached.

Old 01-31-2014, 03:14 PM

12,979 posts, read 14,606,856 times
Quote:
Or Tyler Perry. What does Tyler contribute to the black community?
Seriously? Perhaps you should research, or even do a cursory Google search before posting such stuff. Check out what Tyler Perry's Foundation does.

Quote:
IMO its the attitudes that need to change then the wealth will follow.
Right........

Old 01-31-2014, 06:17 PM

14,480 posts, read 14,446,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kia25 View Post
One of the biggest concerns we as black people have about racial inequality is the fact that white people have a greater accumulation of wealth than we do. Many of us believe that if we were to attain the same level of wealth it would fix many of the psychological and social problems that we face as a collective group of people. But I for one have serious doubts about this.

Take East Asia for example, they are on the cusp of world domination, and yet they still hold white people in such high regard. They get plastic surgery to look more "western" and many Asian women still prefer white men over their own. What's up with that?

As an African American it makes me wonder what would happen if Africa were to rise economically. Would black men stop preferring white women? Would black women stop bleaching their skin and wearing hair weaves? I have a feeling it would only get worse with more money. Within a hundred years Africa would become a Mulatto Nation. I don't care what anyone says, I think a lot of white women have a thing for black guys. Action speaks louder than words. If Africa becomes a more prosperous continent, white women will flock to it. Do you honestly think black men will turn them away?
I agree that cultural factors have to play a role in any nation's development. I don't expect African countries to be carbon copies of the USA in either policies or outcome.

I've never been a supporter of laisse faire capitalism and I can see why this model of development would be thought of poorly by some.

Nevertheless, I sort of hear a "sour grapes" jealousy in the comment that you've made above. Are you trying to say "oh well, so what if we don't have what the people in the western countries have--it would just create problems".

There is a close correlation between income and things like full employment, universal public education, sewage and sanitation systems, quality health care, adequate food, and decent housing. I don't see these things as cultural values. I see these things as values that all functional societies should want to share. Foreign aid should be directed towards helping lesser developed countries reach this end.

Third World countries do not have to copy America. They can build their own bridges to the modern international economy. For God's sake, though build that bridge! The alternative can be measured in things like malnourished children, unemployed people, hunger, and impoverishment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies