Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 12:49 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,792,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
Pretty sickening. I don't agree with killing the giraffe, but to do it in front of an audience is repulsive. Seems like every day we read about some "expert" recommending slaughtering animals for some supposedly higher purpose.
This was not a spontaneous event.
It was known and highly controversial. Nonetheless, the zoo was packed with observers of all ages.
Parents choose to allow their children to observe.

Given many zoos offered to take the giraffe, I cannot imagine why this zoo chose to exterminate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2014, 12:51 PM

40,955 posts, read 49,242,733 times
Where's the uproar when we had to dissect Frogs in the 10th grade ?

Old 02-11-2014, 12:55 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,832,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Where's the uproar when we had to dissect Frogs in the 10th grade ?

Old 02-11-2014, 01:31 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,204,011 times
I heard the WHOLE story on NPR. The autopsy not done out on full display, a patron had to decide if it was something they wished to see and go to a specific place to see it. No one saw it by accident. According to an observer, the children were fascinated and not disturbed in any way. The zoo specifically prohibits simply selling an animal to anyone, as many end up being kept in atrocious conditions in poorly run zoos, or circuses for their entire lives, a humane death is preferable to a miserable life IMO. Many acceptable zoos would have to same inbreeding issue with this particular animal.

We need to remember life is not always the best option if it means a life of misery. If most of us were an animal to be eaten, we would chose immediate humane death over the torture of being kept in horrible conditions then slaughtered.

There is so much animal CRUELTY causing sheer misery and pain going on in food production, down production, circuses, and simple abuse. There are much better places for this outrage if one genuinely cares about animals.

Last edited by detshen; 02-11-2014 at 01:47 PM..

Old 02-11-2014, 01:42 PM

32,668 posts, read 48,129,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post

If this was a dog cut up for dinner for lions there would be protests.
Actually, I would prefer to see the stray dogs in the USA fed to zoo animals. It is a shame that so many homeless dogs have to be put to sleep because there are no homes for them.

It is an additional insult that their bodies are thrown into the dump, or ground into fertilizer, or sent to the rendering plant and used to make women's make-up.

If they must die, at least use the meat for a good purpose. They aren't garbage and it is ashame that they are treated like garbage. Give their end a bit of respect and let their life feed another.

Old 02-11-2014, 01:43 PM

15,538 posts, read 10,521,878 times
I think it's pretty disgusting that the lion isn't free and able to hunt for itself. Zoo's just aren't normal.

Old 02-11-2014, 02:36 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,658,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
I think it's pretty disgusting that the lion isn't free and able to hunt for itself. Zoo's just aren't normal.
I'm surprised they didn't just put it in with the lions alive so people could watch the slaughter. What a thrill THAT would have been.

Old 02-11-2014, 02:44 PM

1,509 posts, read 1,797,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
I'm surprised they didn't just put it in with the lions alive so people could watch the slaughter. What a thrill THAT would have been.
Good and satisfying exercise for the lions, an exciting last chance for the giraffe to go out with a bang, and a more realistic lesson for the children.

If they wanted the kids to watch a butcher, they could have taken a field trip to a slaughterhouse instead.

Old 02-11-2014, 03:35 PM

4,837 posts, read 4,171,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detshen View Post
I heard the WHOLE story on NPR. The autopsy not done out on full display, a patron had to decide if it was something they wished to see and go to a specific place to see it. No one saw it by accident. According to an observer, the children were fascinated and not disturbed in any way. The zoo specifically prohibits simply selling an animal to anyone, as many end up being kept in atrocious conditions in poorly run zoos, or circuses for their entire lives, a humane death is preferable to a miserable life IMO. Many acceptable zoos would have to same inbreeding issue with this particular animal.

We need to remember life is not always the best option if it means a life of misery. If most of us were an animal to be eaten, we would chose immediate humane death over the torture of being kept in horrible conditions then slaughtered.

There is so much animal CRUELTY causing sheer misery and pain going on in food production, down production, circuses, and simple abuse. There are much better places for this outrage if one genuinely cares about animals.
Do you have a link to the story by chance? So they did not do any of it out in the open, including actually killing the animal?

Old 02-11-2014, 04:09 PM

18,759 posts, read 11,809,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Actually in the wild it's the young, old, and weak that don't survive. The young rarely survive. I watched a BBC show yesterday on wolves and one pair had been breeding for 7 years. In that 7 years, only 3 pups made it to adulthood. She gave birth to large litters. That year she had 9. None made it.

What's graphic about it? If you don't want to watch, that's fine. But your food in the grocery store wasn't created by fairies. Animals were in fact murdered and chopped up for you to eat! What's the difference?

The wild environment and the zoo environment are two different animals. I would think that in the zoo setting an older animal would be better culled then a younger one.

Slaughter houses albeit horrifying are not zoo's. I think selling the animal for over $600,000 vs killing it makes a heck of a lot more business sense. Killing something that valuable = huge idiot factor in my universe. I can't get past why they wouldn't want that money instead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies