Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2014, 08:44 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Maybe you should study Oregon urban growth boundaries and you would know what I am talking about. If Austin had an urban growth boundary, you would still be living in rural land because it would have been near impossible for a developer to purchase that rural land for sub-developments, but then you would tell me that went against capitalism, and I would tell you you get what you asked for.

So you did move, but you moved to a place that was just as liberal? Is it hard for you to find actual conservative places in the conservative mecca?
Where did you get that idea from ?

Why should I study Oregon urban growth. I don't live urban and haven't for over 20 years now.
I'm not the Governor, nor the mayor nor head of the zoning commission.

I never lived in Austin and Austin didn't control our city.

You live by some strange ideology. Reality is much different.
Gentrification happens. It's a reality.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2014, 08:54 AM

1,140 posts, read 1,301,058 times
Quote:
Depends on the situation, our need to focus so much time on standardized testing is what hurts our schools, not paying EMS workers enough hurts trying to find reliable people.
Standardized testing contains math and reading comprehension, both of which require critical thinking.

If people can't manage to pass the standardized tests, then what sort of education are they receiving?

There are a lot of people on this forum seem to lack these critical thinking skills, especially reading comprehension which is why we get so many of these asinine threads about the same topic, over and over and over again.

Old 02-10-2014, 09:00 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Quote:
Depends on the situation, our need to focus so much time on standardized testing is what hurts our schools, not paying EMS workers enough hurts trying to find reliable people.
Newsflash..you will need to raise your taxes to pay for the increase.
Now that EMS worker is getting a higher salary but paying higher taxes so what did you really accomplish ?

Old 02-10-2014, 09:16 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,159,948 times
Quote:
No where did I say I wanted to raise taxes beyond anyone's reach, you just assumed that.
Yes, you did say that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
1) A minimum wage should keep pace with inflation.
Why?

What kind of "Inflation?"

Wage Inflation?
Demand-pull Inflation?
Cost-push Inflation?
Real Inflation?
Interest Inflation?

What is the purpose of Economics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
2) There should not be a federal minimum wage.
No doubt, but try telling that to the Constitution haters.

Not assuming...

Mircea

Old 02-10-2014, 09:39 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,171,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Where did you get that idea from ?

Why should I study Oregon urban growth. I don't live urban and haven't for over 20 years now.
I'm not the Governor, nor the mayor nor head of the zoning commission.

I never lived in Austin and Austin didn't control our city.

You live by some strange ideology. Reality is much different.
Gentrification happens. It's a reality.
Actually I asked you a question because I don't know where you live.

Urban growth boundaries protect rural land, which is something you said you use to live in before it became suburban. If there was an urban growth boundary, then your rural land wouldn't have become suburbs.

For you, your reality is the lose of rural land. In Oregon, their reality is the protection of rural land. Which reality do you like more?

Old 02-10-2014, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Boy View Post
Standardized testing contains math and reading comprehension, both of which require critical thinking.

If people can't manage to pass the standardized tests, then what sort of education are they receiving?

There are a lot of people on this forum seem to lack these critical thinking skills, especially reading comprehension which is why we get so many of these asinine threads about the same topic, over and over and over again.
We standardize test more than any other country, yet it does nothing to improve our education in math and reading.

Old 02-10-2014, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Newsflash..you will need to raise your taxes to pay for the increase.
Now that EMS worker is getting a higher salary but paying higher taxes so what did you really accomplish ?
Well let's lower taxes so we can lower the EMS pay and I am sure there would be no problem finding someone to work for the lower pay. A rise in property tax is not equal to the the rise in hourly pay for an EMS.

Old 02-10-2014, 09:49 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,159,948 times
Quote:
We standardize test more than any other country, yet it does nothing to improve our education in math and reading.
I guess it's a good thing you have teachers' unions.

So, what percent of you GDP is R&D now?....

Mircea

Old 02-10-2014, 10:15 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,279,569 times
Quote:
Actually I am all for raising property taxes to help support police, fire, emergency, and schools. Don't you?
That works for the McMansion six figure income cubicle drones living in Cary, but doesn't work as well for the Franklin County folks North of them.

Oh, and backwoods Franklin county costs more in property taxes (within city limits) than Wake County where Research Triangle Park is located, because corporations are paying the tax there. A $15/hr minimum wage will mean a lot more towns getting incorporated by the county.

Old 02-10-2014, 10:23 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,692,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Yes, you did say that.

Why?

What kind of "Inflation?"

Wage Inflation?
Demand-pull Inflation?
Cost-push Inflation?
Real Inflation?
Interest Inflation?

What is the purpose of Economics?

No doubt, but try telling that to the Constitution haters.

Not assuming...

Mircea

You obviously missed the mocking deadpan humor of my post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies