Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2014, 08:10 AM

5,563 posts, read 4,263,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christelyn324 View Post
Well, it's evident that homosexuals and their backers want homosexuality to be viewed as normal and natural. A thinking person however has to ask, what value does it add, and why should it be encouraged, praised and celebrated?

It's one thing to simply ignore certain behaviors, but it's another thing all together to actively encourage and praise it, especially when it's known that homosexuals have the highest HIV/STD rates in the nation, and the highest suicide and mental health rates/problems as well. Why promote activities that do not lead to positive outcomes?
The value that the gay rights movement adds is that it brings our country one step closer to actually living up to its Constitutional ideals of equality for all citizens. Also, it makes gay-hating dinosaurs like you just that much closer to extinction.

Old 02-10-2014, 08:11 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,408,066 times
Quote:
I'm happy that you mentioned this, because I am going to de-construct your points. Being black, does not relegate one to a lower life expectancy, lower marriage rates, out of wedlock children, higher std rates or higher obesity rates.

In reality, a number of blacks in the U.S. have poor health outcomes, because they engage in negative practices. I do not have a lower life expectancy than other healthy adults, because I chose not to smoke, use drugs or have unprotected sex outside of a committed/stable/monogamous marriage.

Also, I happen to be a size 2, because I exercise and primarily eat fish and organic fruits and veggies. I made the conscious health choice to abstain from unhealthy fast foods. Instead, I've opted to cook healthy nutritious meals and eliminate cane sugar and high levels of sodium from my diet.

Congratulations! You have just "deconstructed" the SAME EXACT ARGUMENT AGAINST HOMOSEXUALITY!

There is nothing "per se" different about being gay or straight that causes some gay people to fall into addition or STDs.

Behavioral factors are key, and guess what: Just as not all blacks act the same or have the same lifestyle, neither do all gays. Hell, all STRAIGHT people do not have the same lifestyle! A perpetual rich bachelor who has a different woman every weekend does not have the "straight lifestyle" that a married couple has.

Same thing with gays and lesbians. (Lesbians, BTW, have the lowest incidence of STDs of any group).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christelyn324
Being "black" within an American context is often viewed from a negative lens, because the media promotes blackness as ignorance through rap music and popular culture (i.e. films, video games, etc). Sadly, since many people do not have critical thinking skills, they believe whatever the media tells them, and a number of blacks (primarily from disadvantaged low income/inner city environments) take on the negative identity. They often do this, because they have no positive role models in the community to look up to. Often, they rely heavily upon "popular culture," athletes and entertainers to craft their identity.

Congratulations AGAIN! You have just shown the parallels between being gay and being black (or other types of minorities!)

For all the gripes by people about Hollywood trouncing positive gay images, Hollywood actually has a history of playing the "tragic gay" stereotype and trope.

Not to mention the vile tripe and garbage that is preached at the pulpit, and by ignorant, uneducated people about gay people - which is very damaging to the self esteem and self image of gay youth.

BTW, when was the last time you heard of a black person being kicked out of their house and forced to live and survive on the streets by their family for being black? Think the still high incidence of THAT happening to gay kids might cause some of the problems with STDs and drug use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christelyn324
This is why I pointed out that Sam's announcement of his sexual proclivities should not be celebrated. We know that HIV/STDS is highest amongst homosexuals (particularly black homosexual males).

How odd that you seem to ALMOST be able to come across as smart and realize that innate characteristics of race, ethnicity, etc. are not the same as lifestyle choices or behavior.... yet you can't understand that there are a million and one ways to live a "gay lifestyle" just as there are a million and one ways to live a "straight lifestyle" and keep oneself out of trouble, drugs, and HIV!!

Old 02-10-2014, 08:11 AM

2,737 posts, read 3,165,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
it's just another homosexual screaming "look at me" they seem to love attention, quite boring actually.
Hemorrhoids are what makes then scream loudest.

Old 02-10-2014, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Did he say he was gonna go bang a bunch of dudes in unprotected sex after the conference?
Well DUH, that's what anti-gays always think of whenever someone says, "I'm gay": Butt sex.

Gay person says: "My partner and I are going on vacation next week."

Homophobe thinks: "Gross, all that butt sex on vacation all day long. Why must I hear about his sex life?"

Gay person says: "My boyfriend's birthday is tomorrow."

Homophobe thinks: "Ugh, I bet they'll be having depraved, sweaty, man on man sex all night to celebrate. Why is he shoving his lifestyle in my face?!"

Old 02-10-2014, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Let's be honest, the majority of homosexual males are not interested in monogamy or adopting children. If this were true, the HIV/STD rates wouldn't be so high.

I'm wondering if the media will be as supportive, after he announces his HIV positive status.

Classic. Now it appears we've all died and gone on to simple ***** hell.

Old 02-10-2014, 08:28 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,372,917 times
Quote:
I'm sorry, but being homosexual or heterosexual is not who someone is.
Quote:
I think we all have a vested interest in encouraging and increasing healthy heterosexual marriages.
Sexuality is either a fundamental part of a person's being or it is not. It is entirely irrational to take the position that a person is not defined by his or her sexuality and then turn around and imply that social order depends on heterosexual marriage. And that is what you're implying in that second quote, right?

Last edited by randomparent; 02-10-2014 at 08:38 AM..

Old 02-10-2014, 08:32 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times
Quote:
Let's be honest, the majority of homosexual males are not interested in monogamy or adopting children. If this were true, the HIV/STD rates wouldn't be so high.

I'm wondering if the media will be as supportive, after he announces his HIV positive status.
So it is the gay man having all that butt sex you can't stop thinking about? Do you also hate heterosexual people who are not interested in monogamy or adopting children? Also, why do you care if someone doesn't want to be monogamous or adopt children? How many children have you adopted? I assume you have never casually dated either?

Old 02-10-2014, 08:34 AM

13,961 posts, read 5,628,343 times
Because to the media, who are professionals in the business of not doing anything except talking endlessly about what other people do, saying you're gay in a world they have imagined as the land of homophobic neanderthals is brave. This depends on a few false narratives:
  • Football players are homophobic troglodytes who only find joy in physically hurting others.
  • The NFL is the pinnacle of homophobic aggression
  • Society still persecutes and hunts down gay people.
None of this is true, but that's the media imagery of the world Michael Sam lives in, and in such a world, being openly gay is rather heroic. They created the horror-story world myth, thus they get to create Sam as a hero myth as well.

Here's how you know it's no big deal, paraphrasing the great point made by Mike Greenberg on ESPN radio this morning - he came out to his team in August, on a team that played in the SEC championship, and was co-defensive MVP of the best league in college football...and the first anyone heard of him being gay was when he came out nationally this weekend. Guess his 100+ teammates and all the students at Missouri who know football players, thus know his "secret", didn't really notice or find it a big deal, if the whole school knew it 6 months ago and we are all just knowing it now?

And here's the real reason he came out now - to improve his draft position. Prior ot the announcement, he was slated for the 5th round on most boards. Since his announcement however, after every pick that isn't him until he is picked, some moron on ESPN will be wondering if his continuing slide to where he would have been picked anyway is proof of the rampant homophobia of the league, world of football, and world of athletics in general....and all that will make one team think "hmm, bet we can get some good PR off picking him higher than the 5th round, and it will show how enlightened we are." This was a calculated marketing move by Sam and his agent to get paid. Bet money he goes inside the first 3 rounds now, when he really is a legit 5th-6th round pick.

Old 02-10-2014, 08:38 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,226,860 times
Quote:
I don't understand why anyone would let their sexuality define them. I'm sorry, but being homosexual or heterosexual is not who someone is. Your character is what defines you. Unfortunately, many people have lost the ability to utilize critical thinking skills. Homosexuality adds no value, so at the end of the day, why celebrate a man who declares he enjoys sleeping with men?
Precisely, to come out and say you enjoy a part of the body that is meant for exit only is disgusting.

Old 02-10-2014, 08:40 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,163,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Because to the media, who are professionals in the business of not doing anything except talking endlessly about what other people do, saying you're gay in a world they have imagined as the land of homophobic neanderthals is brave. This depends on a few false narratives:
  • Football players are homophobic troglodytes who only find joy in physically hurting others.
  • The NFL is the pinnacle of homophobic aggression
  • Society still persecutes and hunts down gay people.
None of this is true, but that's the media imagery of the world Michael Sam lives in, and in such a world, being openly gay is rather heroic. They created the horror-story world myth, thus they get to create Sam as a hero myth as well.

Here's how you know it's no big deal, paraphrasing the great point made by Mike Greenberg on ESPN radio this morning - he came out to his team in August, on a team that played in the SEC championship, and was co-defensive MVP of the best league in college football...and the first anyone heard of him being gay was when he came out nationally this weekend. Guess his 100+ teammates and all the students at Missouri who know football players, thus know his "secret", didn't really notice or find it a big deal, if the whole school knew it 6 months ago and we are all just knowing it now?

And here's the real reason he came out now - to improve his draft position. Prior ot the announcement, he was slated for the 5th round on most boards. Since his announcement however, after every pick that isn't him until he is picked, some moron on ESPN will be wondering if his continuing slide to where he would have been picked anyway is proof of the rampant homophobia of the league, world of football, and world of athletics in general....and all that will make one team think "hmm, bet we can get some good PR off picking him higher than the 5th round, and it will show how enlightened we are." This was a calculated marketing move by Sam and his agent to get paid. Bet money he goes inside the first 3 rounds now, when he really is a legit 5th-6th round pick.
This. Most of non-football fans had no clue who this kid was until he made this announcement. And yes, he will be the most talked about player in the draft this year, maybe more than the players who are legitimate first round draft picks. If he gets picked before the 4th round this little declaration will be a success. The league has probably already discussed how he absolutely can't be picked past the 5th round or they'll be eaten alive in the media and may already have a plan to assure it doesn't happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies