Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2014, 06:43 AM

1 posts, read 5,013 times

Advertisements

Everyone morning I read the various papers and it seems as if this morning, all of the main papers have Michael Sam (an openly homosexual college football player) as the main head-line. The writers of the various articles seem to celebrate Sam because he has come out as homosexual. I find it strange that the media encourages homosexuality, but then publishes articles stating that homosexual black males have the highest HIV rates in the country.

I don't understand why this is something that should be celebrated. My question is, what value does being homosexual add to the greater society?

USA Today | Sports

Old 02-10-2014, 06:49 AM

1,149 posts, read 1,590,261 times
The celebration is because a person had the courage to know who he is and not feel ashamed of himself in a sport culture that discourages it) And because he'd be the first openly gay football player.

Just because people like him are at greater risk of disease doesn't erase the fact that society is becoming for accepting, which I think is a great thing.

Edit: Just saw your last line. Wow. What value does you being you add to society?

Old 02-10-2014, 07:02 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,391,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christelyn324 View Post
I don't understand why anyone would let their sexuality define them. I'm sorry, but being homosexual or heterosexual is not who someone is. Your character is what defines you. Unfortunately, many people have lost the ability to utilize critical thinking skills. Homosexuality adds no value, so at the end of the day, why celebrate a man who declares he enjoys sleeping with men?

Do you get your panties in such a twist whenever the media reports that some super star or athlete is getting married to their opposite sex partner?

Last edited by CaseyB; 02-11-2014 at 03:40 PM.. Reason: rude

Old 02-10-2014, 07:03 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,939,644 times
Quote:
I don't understand why anyone would let their sexuality define them. I'm sorry, but being homosexual or heterosexual is not who someone is. Your character is what defines you. Unfortunately, many people have lost the ability to utilize critical thinking skills. Homosexuality adds no value, so at the end of the day, why celebrate a man who declares he enjoys sleeping with men?
I think you have completely overlooked why this young man is even being mentioned in conversation.

Old 02-10-2014, 07:08 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,161,783 times
Quote:
The same reason people celebrate sleeping with the opposite sex. Our sexuality is a huge factor that defines who we are.

Old 02-10-2014, 07:11 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,161,783 times
Quote:
I try to avoid celebrity gossip stories, because it adds zero value to my life. Also, celebrity pairings usually have nothing to do with love and everything to do with publicity. By the same token, I do enjoy reading regular stories about every day men & women who marry and start their lives together, because it adds value to society, since it keeps the population going.

Also, when families are strong, society is strong. Many of the current problems in the the U.S. are due to the breakdown of the family unit, so I think we all have a vested interest in encouraging and increasing healthy heterosexual marriages.
Yet you don't enjoy reading regular stories about same sex couples marry and start their lives together, since it adds value to society.

Also, you don't need to marry to grow the population, and you are not required to have children when you get married. That tends to be a common misconception with you guys.

Old 02-10-2014, 07:12 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Because we're in the midst of the Gay Civil Rights movement, that's why there's so much media attention to it.

Old 02-10-2014, 07:16 AM

Quote:
I try to avoid celebrity gossip stories, because it adds zero value to my life.

Well lady, entertainment news is big business in the United States, so it obviously adds value to some people's lives, and you are really in no place to judge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christelyn
Also, celebrity pairings usually have nothing to do with love and everything to do with publicity. However, I enjoy reading regular stories about every day men & women who marry and start their lives together, because it adds value to society, since it keeps the population going.

"Keeping the population going"? Is that really an issue for this country? Last I checked we are growing a bit TOO fast.

And you need to educate yourself a bit. Approximately 30% of same sex households are raising children. Sometimes their own, sometimes the cast-aways of those "everyday men and women" who have babies and then give them up for adoption or into the foster care system.

Do you know that rate is not much less than the rate of opposite-sex households that are raising children?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christelyn
Also, when families are strong, society is strong. Many of the current problems in the the U.S. are due to the breakdown of the family unit, so I think we all have a vested interest in encouraging and increasing healthy heterosexual marriages.

You can encourage and increase healthy heterosexual marriages without giving any notice or worrying about gay marriage. The two do not effect each other in the least.

Old 02-10-2014, 07:16 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,197,584 times
Quote:
I try to avoid celebrity gossip stories, because it adds zero value to my life. Also, celebrity pairings usually have nothing to do with love and everything to do with publicity. However, I enjoy reading regular stories about every day men & women who marry and start their lives together, because it adds value to society, since it keeps the population going.

And yet there are millions of children being raised by homosexual parents. We can and do add to the population. We also help raise some of those oops babies that those wonderful heterosexual parents have and dump like trash into the adoption system. We don't have oops babies, we plan for our children.

Old 02-10-2014, 07:17 AM

Quote:
I've read various comments where people describe him as a "hero." This is odd to me, because a hero is defined as someone doing something worthy of praise, celebration and honor.

Why is Sam worthy of praise, celebration and honor?

For having the cojones to come out in a macho sport where grown men are paid to run into each other and chase a ball down a field.

For gay youth especially, these types of individuals serve as valuable role models.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies