Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2014, 11:07 AM

80 posts, read 44,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Thanks for proving my point of being for freedoms that only you approve of. And yet you hammer on conservatives for the very same thing.

If the establishment allows it, and so long as a sign out front indicates it, then there should be no issue. Non-smokers are free to use their choice of not going in, or patronizing the establishment that allows smoking. Just like I would be free to decide as to whether or not I would go to a non-smoking establishment.
Violating the rights of others NOT to be assaulted with toxins is neither the right of the individual or owner of a public accommodation. Your argument falls well short of the mark.

The right NOT to be harmed, to be assaulted with toxins is a high-order right, and no business owner has the right to waive a patrons right not to be assaulted.

Old 02-14-2014, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoniDanko View Post
Well the same could be said for none smokers as well could it not? I'm like you. I don't care what other people do as long as it doesn't affect anyone who doesn't want to be. That's why support allowing bars that are clearly labeled smoking and none smoking so people have choices. Some people, like Urban, do not agree because he claims he claims he'll lose the choice to go to the few bars that allow smoking instead of him going to one of the many that would cater to none smokers. It's hypocritical don't you think? He wants everyone else to have no choice at all just because he'll want to seek out and go to the bars that would allow smoking. He knows this makes no sense, but has become desperate to save face after losing this argument.
The business of a bar is liquor. If it were a tobacco-den, then you would have a foot to stand on, but they aren't, and you don't.

The right NOT to be assaulted, trumps an addicts right to stoke that addiction, restriction-free. Stoke it in a way, manner and place that respects the rights of others.

Old 02-14-2014, 11:10 AM

50,378 posts, read 63,993,273 times
I don't mean to offend, but in my experience, I only see trailer trash type people smoking anymore. In fact, it was the social stigma that finally made me quit.
The very idea that I would be so enslaved and weak that I would need to huddle in a doorway in the freezing cold in order to smoke, was unacceptable.

15,896 posts, read 11,991,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bridges View Post
Violating the rights of others NOT to be assaulted with toxins is neither the right of the individual or owner of a public accommodation. Your argument falls well short of the mark.

The right NOT to be harmed, to be assaulted with toxins is a high-order right, and no business owner has the right to waive a patrons right not to be assaulted.

The right to choose as to whether owner allows it or not, should be that of the owner of the establishment and not you, or the government. Don't like, be a big boy and use your own free will, and personal choice to not go to an establishment that allows it.

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoniDanko View Post
Where you get the 81.9 number from? A win win would be to have a bars for smokers and bars for none smokers. You don't want a win win, you want to have your way and you're trying desperately, but failing to win this argument with ridiculous and flawed logic.
It comes from the CDC.
https://www.google.com/search?q=how+...sm=93&ie=UTF-8

With a smoking ban we don't need smoking and nonsmoking bars, and there seems to be plenty of smokers still showing up to nonsmoking bars, so it doesn't seem like the law is upsetting them that much.

Old 02-14-2014, 11:12 AM

Quote:
The right to choose as to whether owner allows it or not, should be that of the owner of the establishment and not you, or the government. Don't like, be a big boy and use your own free will, and personal choice to not go to an establishment that allows it.
I hoped you could keep your debate on a rational, adult level. My bad!!

Old 02-14-2014, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I don't mean to offend, but in my experience, I only see trailer trash type people smoking anymore. In fact, it was the social stigma that finally made me quit.
The very idea that I would be so enslaved and weak that I would need to huddle in a doorway in the freezing cold in order to smoke, was unacceptable.

Wow. Nice generalization you have there. I suppose all pot smokers are just a bunch of unclean worthless hippies that are unemployed, and just want to watch tv and get high all day. I mean, you know.... since we're stereotyping and all...

Old 02-14-2014, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Wow. Nice generalization you have there. I suppose all pot smokers are just a bunch of unclean worthless hippies that are unemployed, and just want to watch tv and get high all day. I mean, you know.... since we're stereotyping and all...
I see your point. He could, and probably should, have left the word "trailer" out. It has no place in such a debate.

Old 02-14-2014, 11:17 AM

Quote:
I hoped you could keep your debate on a rational, adult level. My bad!!

You could always be an adult as well, and remove yourself from a situation like establishments that allow smoking, or a group of smokers huddling outside, instead of whining to the government to do your bidding. Call me crazy, but if I don't like something I take the necessary steps to remove myself from the situation, or don't partake.

Old 02-14-2014, 11:17 AM

2,234 posts, read 1,759,438 times
Quote:
The business of a bar is liquor. If it were a tobacco-den, then you would have a foot to stand on, but they aren't, and you don't.

The right NOT to be assaulted, trumps an addicts right to stoke that addiction, restriction-free. Stoke it in a way, manner and place that respects the rights of others.
The business of a bar is to be what every the owner says it is. The type of clientele the bar wants to target is their business, not yours. No one is forcing you to go into bars that allow smoking. Basically, you want your rights to be acknowledged while ignoring the rights of others. If I open a bar, put a sign on my front door that clearly says that smoking is allowed in my bar, and you see, read, and still willfully decide to open the door and walk inside my bar, please explain how your rights are being assaulted and trumped lol? I feel like I'm talking to special ed students.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies