Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think white privilege conference name is offensive?
Yes 40 44.44%
No 50 55.56%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 07:13 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,426,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellenrr View Post
not that complicated. "white privilege" means that white people have advantages simply by virtue of being white.
doesn't matter whether they want it or not, they have it.
It doesn't mean they're better than anyone else, it means some of society will treat them as if they are better.

for ex, I'm white, I certainly don't think I'm better than anyone based on skin color. But if I am arrested for something, my chances of being beat up by the cops - everything else being equal - are a whole lot less than if I'm non-white.

that's white privilege. It means I have privilege by virtue of living in a society that values white life over black life. it doesn't mean that I want the privilege.

the name of the conference means that the people there will be discussing white privilege and most likely ways to equalize society.

See this is where things get interesting. I dont think the idea of privilege exists with the skin color, as much as it exists because of what the skin color denotes (wealth). Its more correlation than causation. I am white (Scandinavian) and have received NO privileges in life because of my skin color. I worked my way though college and got my job based purely on my grades. The idea that I am where I am today because I cant tan actually is offensive to me. Ive worked very hard in life and have faced obstacles around every corner just like everyone else. Id sure like to know how to pull out this white privilege card every now and then...where do I sign up?!

Old 02-13-2014, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
White privilege is real, but invisible to most white people. The main form white racism takes nowadays is "color-blindness." Most white people simply cannot see that racism exists, unless the supposed victim of racism is white.

White people are still doing better economically and socially than just about any other group. There are some groups of Asians who are better off than white people are on average, but that is due to selective immigration (these Asian immigrants are usually drawn from the elite of their own societies). Broadly speaking, there are only two possible explanations for why white people still do better than everyone else economically and socially:

1) White people do better because systemic inequalities limit the life chances of certain groups, particularly blacks and Latinos.

2) White people do better because they are racially superior.

There's really no third option. Whether they admit it or not, most white people believe the latter. The difference between now and 50 years ago is that now, instead of talking about whites' superior genes, they talk about whites' superior "culture." But it is basically the same argument.
White people are doing better because of history. We were the dominant race in this nation and held all of its wealth. That is slowly declining now that other races are coming to the US in large numbers. The key to wealth is education and since whites historically held the $$ we could afford to educate our kids and pass on the wealth. Blacks were only relatively recently freed in the grand scheme of things and have not yet built up a large wealth base. Once they have gained traction and can afford to educate their children then they will also hold a lot of wealth in this Nation. Asians are HUGE on education which is why they are beginning to outpace us all.

Old 02-13-2014, 07:21 AM

3,718 posts, read 5,696,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
The main form white racism takes nowadays is "color-blindness." Most white people simply cannot see that racism exists, unless the supposed victim of racism is white.
Because someone doesn't want to deal with confrontation, that makes them a racist?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webster Ave Guy View Post
White Privilege is just another liberal false construct. It is connected to the same body of buffons that deny nature and reality. Of course, this conference is in Madison, a place where the liberals thrive while other young Americans go and die to defend our nation.
lol @ the guy who still believes there is a Republican vs Liberal battle. You are no different than they are – you both are sheeple.

Old 02-13-2014, 07:50 AM

11,760 posts, read 14,654,294 times
Offensive?

Sure. It's offensive to conservatives who want to deny that white people in the United States still have privileges just by virtue of being white.

Don't believe me? Just look at the relative rates of incarceration for drug offenses for white and black people. In case you're wondering, the rates of illegal drug use are just the same.

Here's what the group putting on the conference says:

What is the White Privilege Conference?
  1. WPC is a conference that examines challenging concepts of privilege and oppression and offers solutions and team building strategies to work toward a more equitable world.
  2. It is not a conference designed to attack, degrade or beat up on white folks.
  3. It is not a conference designed to rally white supremacist groups.
  4. WPC is a conference designed to examine issues of privilege beyond skin color. WPC is open to everyone and invites diverse perspectives to provide a comprehensive look at issues of privilege including: race, gender, sexuality, class, disability, etc. — the ways we all experience some form of privilege, and how we’re all affected by that privilege.
  5. WPC attracts students, professionals, activists, parents, and community leaders/members from diverse perspectives. WPC welcomes folks with varying levels of experience addressing issues of diversity, cultural competency, and multiculturalism.
  6. WPC is committed to a philosophy of “understanding, respecting and connecting.”
Who attends the WPC?
The conference is unique in its ability to bring together high school and college students, teachers, university faculty and higher education professionals, nonprofit staff, activists, social workers and counselors, healthcare workers, and members of the spiritual community and corporate arena. Annually, more than 1,500 attend from more than 35 states, Australia, Bermuda, Canada, and Germany.

Old 02-13-2014, 07:55 AM

jack I dont base my privileges in life off of how easy it is for me to get away with smoking crack. Id like to see how being white is a privilege in normal, every day life for us responsible citizens.

Old 02-13-2014, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
jack I dont base my privileges in life off of how easy it is for me to get away with smoking crack. Id like to see how being white is a privilege in normal, every day life for us responsible citizens.
In the study "Are Emily and Brendan More Employable than Lakisha and Jamal?" Marianne Bertrand, an associate professor at the University of Chicago Graduate School of Business, and Sendhil Mullainathan of Massachusetts Institute of Technology use a field experiment to measure the extent of race-based job discrimination in the current labor market.

The authors find that applicants with white-sounding names are 50 percent more likely to get called for an initial interview than applicants with African-American-sounding names. Applicants with white names need to send about 10 resumes to get one callback, whereas applicants with African-American names need to send about 15 resumes to achieve the same result.

In addition, race greatly affects how much applicants benefit from having more experience and credentials. White job applicants with higher-quality resumes received 30 percent more callbacks than whites with lower-quality resumes. Having a higher-quality resume has a much smaller impact on African-American applicants, who experienced only 9 percent more callbacks for the same improvement in their credentials. This disparity suggests that in the current state of the labor market, African-Americans may not have strong individual incentives to build better resumes.

Chicago GSB | Capital Ideas

Old 02-13-2014, 08:07 AM

285 posts, read 750,161 times
Some say that white privelege is real, but invisible.
I say black privilege is real, and visible. They have quotas reserved at some universities and high schools, black History Month, National Association for the Advancement of black People, The Congressional Black Caucus (organization representing the black members of the US Congress), black Entertainment TV, obamaphones (funded low end cell phones plans)...

And many, many other related things for example they can hit white people without being considered hate crime and it's called simply the knockout game, or they organize riots when a black thug is killed (but they say nothing when a black thug kills a white baby in front of her mother), and it's good if they call a white guy honker but if he answers back saying... ******... then he's a racist....

I should say that some of the things I mentioned above could be applied to my own cultural community the hispanics, but it's not fare trying to take advantage because of your ethnical identinty.

From all the post here Istick the post of drive carephilly which ends...

With the number of white people in the bottom 40% exceeding the total number of blacks & latinos in the US using the term "white privilege" comes across as ignorant, bigoted and deliberately divisive.

Old 02-13-2014, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
In the study "Are Emily and Brendan More Employable than Lakisha and Jamal?" Marianne Bertrand, an associate professor at the University of Chicago Graduate School of Business, and Sendhil Mullainathan of Massachusetts Institute of Technology use a field experiment to measure the extent of race-based job discrimination in the current labor market.

The authors find that applicants with white-sounding names are 50 percent more likely to get called for an initial interview than applicants with African-American-sounding names. Applicants with white names need to send about 10 resumes to get one callback, whereas applicants with African-American names need to send about 15 resumes to achieve the same result.

In addition, race greatly affects how much applicants benefit from having more experience and credentials. White job applicants with higher-quality resumes received 30 percent more callbacks than whites with lower-quality resumes. Having a higher-quality resume has a much smaller impact on African-American applicants, who experienced only 9 percent more callbacks for the same improvement in their credentials. This disparity suggests that in the current state of the labor market, African-Americans may not have strong individual incentives to build better resumes.

Chicago GSB | Capital Ideas
I find this study particularly interesting because I work for a massive conglomerate and our office is full of "Lakisha and Jamal's." I wonder if the study categorized the types of businesses that the applicants tried for? I.E. Small businesses vs mid caps vs. Big corps?

Id have a hard time taking any study seriously that dealt with applying for jobs since so many job postings out there are 100% fake.

Old 02-13-2014, 08:46 AM

8,982 posts, read 21,169,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidty223 View Post
What if there was a White History Month...
For secondary school kids, that usually runs from March through January...although some more inclusive schools/communities might acknowledge Native American, Hispanic and Asian/Pacific Islander History Months.

Quote:
...or a National Association for the Advancement of White People...
Google David Duke...or even that term itself.

Quote:
...or a White Entertainment Channel?
Almost too many to mention but let's start with ABC, NBC and CBS. In the early years of Fox, WB and UPN, they each heavily relied on programming that appealed to minorities, particularly Blacks. However as time went on - and the latter two merged to become the CW - programming featuring minorities in leading roles diminished if not outright disappeared.

Oh...and due to the nature of the programming, you may as well include CMT and GAC.

Quote:
Double standard, isn't?
Well....

Getting back to the subject, I believe white privilege does exist, even- as others here have acknowledged - if it is not actively "enforced" or accepted. (For that matter, some might argue that straight male WASP privilege exists, but that's another story.) I would hope that white people are involved in the conference so it doesn't turn into a bashing fest.

Old 02-13-2014, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
I find this study particularly interesting because I work for a massive conglomerate and our office is full of "Lakisha and Jamal's." I wonder if the study categorized the types of businesses that the applicants tried for? I.E. Small businesses vs mid caps vs. Big corps?

Id have a hard time taking any study seriously that dealt with applying for jobs since so many job postings out there are 100% fake.
I find your response particularly interesting because you initially said you didn't care about disparate racial treatment for people in the criminal justice, and you were more interested in hearing about "how normal, every day life for us responsible citizens."

Now I post a link to research about normal, everyday life for responsible citizens who are applying for jobs and you find a way to claim that it also doesn't prove anything.

One might conclude that you're just determined to reject any and all evidence that demonstrates that even now white people are treated better by society just because they are white.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies