Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think white privilege conference name is offensive?
Yes 40 44.44%
No 50 55.56%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 11:09 AM

285 posts, read 750,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
For secondary school kids, that usually runs from March through January...although some more inclusive schools/communities might acknowledge Native American, Hispanic and Asian/Pacific Islander History Months.

Google David Duke...or even that term itself.

The history that kids study regularly is about what happened in the country, not about any race, one episode of history could have involved whites and hispanics, other only whites... but because that's what happened there... what do you want them to do? Pretend that George Washington was black so that this part of history appears more "diverse"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
Almost too many to mention but let's start with ABC, NBC and CBS. In the early years of Fox, WB and UPN, they each heavily relied on programming that appealed to minorities, particularly Blacks. However as time went on - and the latter two merged to become the CW - programming featuring minorities in leading roles diminished if not outright disappeared.

Oh...and due to the nature of the programming, you may as well include CMT and GAC.

Well....

Getting back to the subject, I believe white privilege does exist, even- as others here have acknowledged - if it is not actively "enforced" or accepted. (For that matter, some might argue that straight male WASP privilege exists, but that's another story.) I would hope that white people are involved in the conference so it doesn't turn into a bashing fest.

Those channels "only for white people", like NBC had sitcoms like The Bill Cosby show, The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air or the CBS sitcom family matters, or the ABC sister, sister, hangin'with Mr. Cooper, the CW aired Everybody Hates Chris, and the FOX with the Cleveland Show

I think that your "problem" is that todays series tend to be more "diverse" and that's not good for you.

You simply don't want to see white people at all. I think I have a solution for you.
In Africa in places like angola, the simpson for example have their own black version...
It's sad because here in
europe, all the black sitcoms I mantioned before were aired as they were originally, imagine what would they call us if we have asked to have a "white" version of the cleveland show....
But you know only white people is racist, oppresive, and have priveleges...
It'd be better to take this with humor...
I will tell my white friends who are living in poverty, " you priveleged whites should be ashamed of the oppresion you exert towards ethnical minorities"

Old 02-13-2014, 11:12 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,425,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
I find your response particularly interesting because you initially said you didn't care about disparate racial treatment for people in the criminal justice, and you were more interested in hearing about "how normal, every day life for us responsible citizens."

Now I post a link to research about normal, everyday life for responsible citizens who are applying for jobs and you find a way to claim that it also doesn't prove anything.

One might conclude that you're just determined to reject any and all evidence that demonstrates that even now white people are treated better by society just because they are white.
My name is Chris. That name is black and white. I got called up for an interview with my job based off of my resume. My resume didnt say I was black or white. I then sold my skills and my experience in the interview and got hired. My office has black and white and asian people. So no I do not agree that I got the job because my name sounds white, or that my skin color helped me to get my job. FYI my boss is Cuban.

Anyways I say I was "interested" in this study and wondered if they categorized the type of business. Theres nothing wrong with wanting further understanding of a study.

Old 02-13-2014, 11:39 AM

285 posts, read 750,011 times
As I said when I was in the US I didn't feel any kind of racism towards me, I guess what many of those guys pretend is to live off other people in NGOs trying to sell the tale of the racism, specially to minorities like that the whites are oppresors, have some kind of invisible privileges... so that they actually divide society and can continue living off the people they cheat.

Old 02-13-2014, 11:55 AM

96 posts, read 135,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by espn_lies View Post
Human nature to (job interview/early partnership) flock to those most similar to us

I recently saw this in play on American Idol. 100 strangers were instructed to create groups of 3 and 4. Guess what happened? The groups were all divided by 1) Gender 2) Race

You are complaining how non-White races are treated in White markets. Are Blacks treated better in Asian markets? Middle Eastern markets? Am I to assume I (White) would not be discriminated against in African markets?

USA (melting pot society) will not have a completely diverse job market until Africa improves. Then you will see more qualified Africans immigrate to work in the USA and hire their own. "African-Americans" aka USA blacks have shown marginal improvement in non-athletic industries. South America also needs to pick up the pace.
So you're using "American Idol" science to justify your racism, that's one I've never heard before. As to whether or not African American owned business treat other races equally? I've never heard anything to the contrary and therefore can't speak to that.

Old 02-13-2014, 12:06 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,594,597 times
Self-hating whites need take only one step to end their imaginary privilege: mass suicide.

It will make the world better for everyone else regardless of color.

Old 02-13-2014, 12:32 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,164,684 times
Quote:
The history that kids study regularly is about what happened in the country, not about any race, one episode of history could have involved whites and hispanics, other only whites... but because that's what happened there... what do you want them to do? Pretend that George Washington was black so that this part of history appears more "diverse"?
I'll admit that I have no kids so I don't know how high school history classes have evolved since I was there in the 80's. But when it came to American history, I rarely learned anything about the contributions of people of color, particularly before the 20th Century.

Quote:
Those channels "only for white people", like NBC had sitcoms like The Bill Cosby show, The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air or the CBS sitcom family matters, or the ABC sister, sister, hangin'with Mr. Cooper, the CW aired Everybody Hates Chris, and the FOX with [i]the Cleveland Show
I did not mean to imply that the major networks never aired TV shows featuring people of color. Indeed, I'll concede that the 80's were a halycon era at least for shows that appealed to African-Americans. Non-Spanish-speaking Hispanic Americans (there are indeed many), Asian Americans and Native Americans are still waiting.

Also note that 100% of your examples are comedies. "Scandal" is the only drama series on network TV I can think of currently on the air with a person of color in the lead role...and it's also live action. (I don't count the "drama-filled" reality shows that make up a significant part of cable programming.)

Quote:
I think that your "problem" is that todays series tend to be more "diverse" and that's not good for you.
Actually I think it's great that more people of color are getting more supporting roles on TV. I would still contend that many Black, (English-speaking) Hispanic, Asian or Native households may want to see a show (or three) that reflects their particular experience. The idea that the relative "diversity" of today's series should be enough may be, IMO, a sign of white privilege.

Quote:
You simply don't want to see white people at all.
Uh oh! If that's the case then I'd better divorce my wife and disassociate myself from the majority of my friends while I'm at it.

Quote:
I think I have a solution for you.
In Africa in places like angola, the simpson for example have their own black version...
That's Angola's call. Given that they have only gained independence from Portugal about forty years ago, I can understand why their broadcasters may have chosen to create a Simpsons-inspired show that more accurately reflects their populace.

On one cable station called The Africa Channel, they often show dramas and documentaries that feature white Africans in supporting and lead roles.

Quote:
...Here in europe, all the black sitcoms I mantioned before were aired as they were originally, imagine what would they call us if we have asked to have a "white" version of the cleveland show....
I imagine the significant minority population that lives across Europe would wonder why The Cleveland Show could not be simply dubbed into the local language, where applicable.

Were you born in Europe or spent a significant amount of your life there? I ask because if you are that I feel you may not know (or have forgotten) the dynamics that created white privilege in the US. It's certainly different than that facing racial minorities in Europe - many of them from former colonies - whose ancestors (if not themselves) came on their own volition seeking a better life.

But I think we've digressed from talking about America...

Quote:
But you know only white people is racist, oppresive, and have privileges...
No, I think "reverse racism" and prejudice between minority groups can and does exist. That said, I don't think a white guy would be pulled over in a predominantly middle/upper-class neighborhood that happened to be African American, Hispanic or Asian. However, if that same guy strolled through a lower-income/working-class neighborhood of any said groups, the side-eyes he might recieve might suddenly have him confront a sort of "reverse socioeconomic privilege".

Quote:
It'd be better to take this with humor...
I will tell my white friends who are living in poverty, " you privileged whites should be ashamed of the oppresion you exert towards ethnical minorities"
I would imagine back in the pre-Civil Rights/Voting Rights Act days that Duck Commander Phil Roberston rhapsodized about as he toiled in the fields along his fellow black sharecroppers, he had more privilege in his area than Jackie Robinson, Martin Luther King or even aspiring doctoral student Bill Cosby did in those days. Granted, those differences are legally null and void today...but there are still some areas of the country where people of color will be confronted with white privilege in varying shades of subtlety, hence the call for the conference we are discussing.

Last edited by FindingZen; 02-13-2014 at 01:31 PM..

Old 02-13-2014, 01:32 PM

42 posts, read 50,875 times
As person of mixed race (so called) I can tell you that White Privilege is more or less a construct of academia to justify perpetual Affirmative Action quotas.

Again like everything that comes from Universities now a days it all boils down to a book or rather a principle that is presented in the book Racial Formation in the United States by Omi and Winant it is literally the bible of from which all racial discrimination theories are spawned.

Warning, read this book and you will laugh you will cry and then at the end you will just be pissed. Most of the book contains out right lies, with small lies and then conclusions that are not supported by any hard data but simply by assumptions made in the authors own mind as to why things happened certain way. A couple of years ago they published a new edition which revises some of their biggest whoppers but its just repackaged to seem more in line with reality yet come up with the same conclusions.

I wish more white people would pay attention to this stuff and not be pushed about by racial peddlers (Jessie Jackson, Al Sharpton, etc) Unfortunately most people are well too busy with real life to be disproving negatives however at some point people are going to need to pay attention George Zimmerman was just the beginning.

Old 02-13-2014, 02:29 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,727,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellenrr View Post
not that complicated. "white privilege" means that white people have advantages simply by virtue of being white.
doesn't matter whether they want it or not, they have it.
this is what i find peculiar.

if it was framed as: "Blacks are disadvantaged", i can agree.

but when they frame it as "Whites are advantaged", it leaves many questions unanswered.

i mean , do asians not have the same advantages as whites? what other races are they talking about? hispanic isn't a race ... and if you want to include them, many hispanics are white (e.g. Ted Cruz). Jewish isn't a race either (as much as "hispanic" is a race...) , but if you want to consider them a "minority", they outperform anglo whites by a huge margin.

And how do they account for white poverty in a place like West Virginia? It's almost entirely white, and one of the poorest states in the nation.

Last edited by le roi; 02-13-2014 at 02:38 PM..

Old 02-13-2014, 02:34 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,607,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImMovingVerySoon View Post
While I don't believe affirmative action is perfect, I do believe that it's a necessary evil.
BS, all affirmative action does is penalize people based on what OTHERS have done it the past. Affirmative action is racism, and it is wrong.

Old 02-13-2014, 02:51 PM

96 posts, read 135,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
BS, all affirmative action does is penalize people based on what OTHERS have done it the past. Affirmative action is racism, and it is wrong.
As I've already stated, it prevents the majority from discriminating against the minority more than they already do. There needs to be something in place to prevent the racial biased against minorities that some whites have demonstrated in the past. Most laws that are created are created to prevent injustices that have happend in the past. Your point?

Last edited by ImMovingVerySoon; 02-13-2014 at 03:04 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.