Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think white privilege conference name is offensive?
Yes 40 44.44%
No 50 55.56%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 03:12 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,160,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
this is what i find peculiar.

if it was framed as: "Blacks are disadvantaged", i can agree.
Fair enough.

Quote:
...but when they frame it as "Whites are advantaged", it leaves many questions unanswered.
OK...

Quote:
i mean , do asians not have the same advantages as whites?
It depends. Certain cultural norms and stereoptypes - whether perceived as "positive" or otherwise - can lump Asians as a group perceived as "non-threatening". On the other, I once read an article about Asian tech workers that essentially said while they would be hired in great numbers, they would often reach a "glass ceiling" when pursuing management positions.

Quote:
what other races are they talking about? hispanic isn't a race
Ummm...Viva la Raza?

Quote:
... and if you want to include them, many hispanics are white (e.g. Ted Cruz).
True, but then I also know "white" Hispanics who would distinctly let you know they they are brown.

Quote:
Jewish isn't a race either (as much as "hispanic" is a race...) , but if you want to consider them a "minority", they outperform anglo whites by a huge margin.
It could be a fine line in this case, somewhat muddled in that religion is intertwined and there are "practicing Jews" of other ethnicities. I'll leave it to any Jewish people participating in this thread to weigh in with their perspective. I would wager that they would have mixed feelings about the "positive stereotype" of "outperform[ing] Anglo-Whites by a huge margin".

Quote:
And how do they account for white poverty in a place like West Virginia? It's almost entirely white, and one of the poorest states in the nation.
The story of Appalachia, including WV, is indeed sad although an exception to the "rule". As a percentage relative to their respective population, there are fewer Whites in poverty than Black, Hispanic and Native Americans. I do not know about Asian Americans.

Old 02-13-2014, 03:14 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,601,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImMovingVerySoon View Post
As I've already stated, it prevents the majority from discriminating against the minority more than they already do. There needs to be something in place to prevent the racial biased against minorities that some whites have demonstrated in the past. Most laws that are created are created to prevent injustices that have happend in the past. Your point?
My point is that you can't prevent past injustices, because they are in the past.

My point is that penalizing people for nothing they have personally done is just as bad as penalizing people in the past for nothing they have done.

Affirmative action IS discrimination, and it IS wrong.

Old 02-13-2014, 03:16 PM

102,193 posts, read 107,809,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kantabriansea View Post
First, I'm not a tea party wasp or member of a far right party in fact I'm Spanish.
A few days ago I found that there's an anual conference called the white privilege conference

White Privilege Conference

I don't know why did they choose that name... what do they try to say? That white population has a priveleged status?

What would they think if a conference called the black ( hispanic, whatever) privilege conference existed?
Do they really think that white people have more social privilege than other racial- ethnical groups?...
Is there any kind of quota at universities for white people, as there is for some racial group?
Should we consider then "affirmative action" policy a kind of discrimination against white people?
I think white population has no more privileges, or even less than the rest of the population.

So I consider that name offensive and xenophobic.

what do you think?
I'm assuming that the purpose of such a conference is to raise awareness among Whites of their privileged status in society (in the US, at least), and to examine the different ways in which White privilege affects society and marginalized peoples.

Actually, some White people do consider affirmative action to be discrimination against them.

OP, why not try attending the conference, and then see what you think?

Old 02-13-2014, 03:21 PM

285 posts, read 749,871 times
Quote:
As I've already stated, it prevents the majority from discriminating against the minority more than they already do. There needs to be something in place to prevent the racial biased against minorities that some whites have demonstrated in the past. Most laws that are created are created to prevent injustices that have happend in the past. Your point?

And what happens in South Africa? There white people are the minority... and still they're discriminated "positively"... as if it were possible to discriminate "positively"... so when white people became minority in the US they'll keep on being accused of discriminating against the ¿minority?

I think there's a race who is privileged in the US, not the whites, asians, hispanics... IMHO they are the black people.

They have, as I mentioned before, "quotas reserved at some universities and high schools, black History Month, National Association for the Advancement of black People, The Congressional Black Caucus (organization representing the black members of the US Congress), black Entertainment TV, obamaphones (funded low end cell phones plans)... "

WHY? I think other racial, ethnical groups suffered in the past slavement, racism and discrimination in the US, for example the chinese.

But today, 200 years after that, they are not still complaining about the cruel fate of their ancestors, blaming their actual situation because of that.
They don't fight to ask for reserved quoatas at universities, or a congressional organization just for asian people or....
Most of them perform very well as individuals perfectly integrated into the US society.

I don't buy the speech about the "white privilege" they won't live off me.

Old 02-13-2014, 03:21 PM
hvl

403 posts, read 551,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusyMeAK View Post
Well, there are plenty of Native Leadership conferences, Black leadership conferences, why not having one minor White?
lol.
The way speakers at black or native leadership conferences feel about the people they're speaking to is very different from the way a speaker at a white priviledge conference feels about the people they're speaking to.

Old 02-13-2014, 03:24 PM

96 posts, read 135,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
My point is that you can't prevent past injustices, because they are in the past.

My point is that penalizing people for nothing they have personally done is just as bad as penalizing people in the past for nothing they have done.

Affirmative action IS discrimination, and it IS wrong.
It's a necessary evil. Without it some whites would show the same discrimination that has been shown in the past. Then what? Someone would say, "Well why don't we see if we can make it so a set perecentage of people are minorities, that way we can prevent this obvious injustice"... Oh wait... Sometimes law has to be arbitrary, affirmative action is not perfect, but we need something that at least gives the illusion of equality if nothing else...

Old 02-13-2014, 03:33 PM

96 posts, read 135,910 times
Quote:
And what happens in South Africa? There white people are the minority... and still they're discriminated "positively"... as if it were possible to discriminate "positively"... so when white people became minority in the US they'll keep on being accused of discriminating against the ¿minority?

I think there's a race who is privileged in the US, not the whites, asians, hispanics... IMHO they are the black people.

They have, as I mentioned before, "quotas reserved at some universities and high schools, black History Month, National Association for the Advancement of black People, The Congressional Black Caucus (organization representing the black members of the US Congress), black Entertainment TV, obamaphones (funded low end cell phones plans)... "

WHY? I think other racial, ethnical groups suffered in the past slavement, racism and discrimination in the US, for example the chinese.

But today, 200 years after that, they are not still complaining about the cruel fate of their ancestors, blaming their actual situation because of that.
They don't fight to ask for reserved quoatas at universities, or a congressional organization just for asian people or....
Most of them perform very well as individuals perfectly integrated into the US society.

I don't buy the speech about the "white privilege" they won't live off me.

I see you haven't done your homework. There are A NUMBER of communities and organization created by Asians, for Asians. Which I don't see anything wrong with by the way. I'm not going to get into an argument about which groups of people have suffered more, because it's silly. White people have all the racial organizations that Blacks (Or any other ethnic group of people) have and MORE. Just because it's not called White this or White that doesn't mean it's not created purposefully to be a White organization, you don't have to look very hard to find them.

Old 02-15-2014, 09:11 AM

3,765 posts, read 4,099,575 times
Quote:
I see you haven't done your homework. There are A NUMBER of communities and organization created by Asians, for Asians. Which I don't see anything wrong with by the way. I'm not going to get into an argument about which groups of people have suffered more, because it's silly. White people have all the racial organizations that Blacks (Or any other ethnic group of people) have and MORE. Just because it's not called White this or White that doesn't mean it's not created purposefully to be a White organization, you don't have to look very hard to find them.

Could you please tell us what some of these organizations are that were created purposefully to be a white organization? I am unaware of any.

And don't mention the Ku Klux Klan. the Ku Klux Klan was created to be a white organization, just as the Black Panthers was created to be a black organization.

Old 02-15-2014, 10:48 AM

58,992 posts, read 27,275,092 times
Quote:
First, I'm not a tea party wasp or member of a far right party in fact I'm Spanish.
A few days ago I found that there's an anual conference called the white privilege conference

White Privilege Conference

I don't know why did they choose that name... what do they try to say? That white population has a priveleged status?

What would they think if a conference called the black ( hispanic, whatever) privilege conference existed?
Do they really think that white people have more social privilege than other racial- ethnical groups?...
Is there any kind of quota at universities for white people, as there is for some racial group?
Should we consider then "affirmative action" policy a kind of discrimination against white people?
I think white population has no more privileges, or even less than the rest of the population.

So I consider that name offensive and xenophobic.

what do you think?
What is your take on the Congressional BLACK caucus?

Or the Hispanic caucus?

Or, Miss black America?

The NAACP?

I could go on.

Old 02-15-2014, 11:17 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,940,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidty223 View Post
What if there was a White History Month or a National Association for the Advancement of White People or a White Entertainment Channel?

Double standard, isn't?
There is no ban on any of those hypothetical organizations ever being formed. It's best not to conclued an outcome before the act has been performed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies