Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2014, 10:54 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,221,070 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
Agreed, selling a product like food, it should not be used to impose discrimination on who eats it. But if I don't like Fords, or foreign made cars, I can refuse to work on your car even though I run an auto repair shop.

If I'm a fanatic member of PETA and own a photography studio, or a web design company, I can refuse to photograph or promote your hunting, killing or butchering of deer or bear. People can have a business opened to the public and still control the details and specifics of what those services entail.
Like I said, if your religious beliefs prevent you from serving the general public (selling cakes, flowers, food, etc) don't open a business selling those things. If you open a business selling product A then you should sell product A to anyone in the general public. If you do not sell product A, then no one can force you to sell product A to them.

Old 02-20-2014, 11:02 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,685,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Like I said, if your religious beliefs prevent you from serving the general public (selling cakes, flowers, food, etc) don't open a business selling those things. If you open a business selling product A then you should sell product A to anyone in the general public. If you do not sell product A, then no one can force you to sell product A to them.
Leave religion out of it for the sake of discussion, if I really do not feel comfortable assisting a customer who is engaging in something that I find is personally offensive I should not be forced to do it, or lose my business license.

No, I'm not talking about refusing someone service based simply on their race or religion.

I gave the example of the person who belongs to PETA. Would you be in favor of government taking away that photographer's business license?

BTW, i already agreed with you on your point about selling food, so why dwell on that?

Old 02-20-2014, 11:06 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,237,091 times
Here is a thought, those outraged by the AZ law, don't go to AZ.

Old 02-20-2014, 11:10 AM

30,274 posts, read 23,756,971 times
Liberals make no sense whatsoever. None.

Why WOULDN'T you want a business to be open about their prejudice? Guess what will happen? When enough people know about the prejudice, they get to decide that they don't want to support that business, and they won't shop there, and eventually the place will go out of business.

You don't need a fricken law for that. Let it work naturally. The more you try to force people in to doing things, the worse you make it for everyone else. Let it happen on its own without your meddling. Your meddling makes this kind of stuff carry on for years and years and years. Or is that what you all truly want?

Old 02-20-2014, 11:13 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,221,070 times
Quote:
Leave religion out of it for the sake of discussion, if I really do not feel comfortable assisting a customer who is engaging in something that I find is personally offensive I should not be forced to do it, or lose my business license.

No, I'm not talking about refusing someone service based simply on their race or religion.

I gave the example of the person who belongs to PETA. Would you be in favor of government taking away that photographer's business license?

BTW, i already agreed with you on your point about selling food, so why dwell on that?
If you offer photography for animal killing videos, then you can not discriminate on who you do them for. If you do not offer animal killing video services, then you can not be made to do them.

If you offer wedding video services then you can not discriminate on who you do them for, if you do not do wedding videos, then no one can force you to.

If you do not offer to do a service (wedding videos, hunting videos, toyota repair, etc) no one can make you do those services. If you choose to offer those services, then you made the choice to do so, and can not discriminate against members of the general public.

If you offer service A to person 1, then you have to offer service A to person 2.
If you do not offer service A to any person, then you do not have to offer service A to anyone.

Old 02-20-2014, 11:16 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,333,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post

Why WOULDN'T you want a business to be open about their prejudice? Guess what will happen? When enough people know about the prejudice, they get to decide that they don't want to support that business, and they won't shop there, and eventually the place will go out of business.

You don't need a fricken law for that. Let it work naturally. The more you try to force people in to doing things, the worse you make it for everyone else. Let it happen on its own without your meddling. Your meddling makes this kind of stuff carry on for years and years and years. Or is that what you all truly want?
I guess you missed this..

Quote:
I just hope these businesses display a sticker in the window to that effect.

"I'm allowed to be a dick and discriminate".
That way, I'd know which
businesses to avoid and I'm not even gay. Most people I know wouldn't shop
there, either.
And the post following that, which said that liberals wanted a notification amendment put in, but they refused.

Old 02-20-2014, 11:17 AM

37,143 posts, read 42,240,055 times
I have no religion but if I did it would require me to stay away from ignorant, annoying people. Whatever I did, it would be a tough business to be in

Old 02-20-2014, 11:22 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,716,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post

It wasn't the "liberals" that shot down the notification amendment.

This liberal agrees with you. I think that everyone should be open about their prejudices.

Certainly people who feel that their religion proscribes them from certain behaviors should be proud to share that with the world and be willing to accept that there are others who do not feel the same.

The only reason I can think of for not requiring notification is that perhaps people aren't quite ready to be shunned for their beliefs.
Oh, the irony.

Old 02-20-2014, 11:32 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,247,766 times
Thanks. We should include ORIDISTAN as well.

Old 02-20-2014, 11:36 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,247,766 times
Quote:
What are you talking about? You could not have been any more vague then that.
The examples presented are not laws in any state. They are just examples. Hope that helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies