Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 08:20 AM

5,660 posts, read 5,089,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
I guess that a Muslim or Jewish owner of a business may then deny service to a Christian?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Britt Reid View Post
And they have the right to do so!
I wouldn't have a problem with that either. I can always find another place to spend my money if I'm offended.

Old 02-20-2014, 08:20 AM

423 posts, read 414,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
I can't wait until the first liberal Christian business owner puts up a "NO HATEFUL REPUBLICANS ALLOWED" sign. The howling from you cons will be glorious. You people don't even accept the right of a business owner to keep his restaurant gun-free, yet now you demand the right to be able to declare "gay-free" zones. Hypocritical much?
No...unlike liberals, a non-liberal just wouldn't shop there. You, on the other hand, howl and whine and moan until you've hounded the business into the ground.

That's the difference...

If you don't like their business practices, don't utilize their services....and move on. Is it so damned difficult for you to understand?

Old 02-20-2014, 08:21 AM

1,214 posts, read 1,696,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
You don't prevent discrimination by writing laws to specifically allow discrimination.

If you can't operate a business because of your religious beliefs, DON'T OPEN A BUSINESS.
Please show me where it allows businesses to discriminate?

And Chic Fil A would disagree with you.

Old 02-20-2014, 08:21 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,211,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaPirate355 View Post
Except that won't happen because the bill doesn't allow that.

Seriously have you guys even bothered to read it? What's with the hyperbole?
Actually the bill does allow that. It allows you to refuse service to anyone based on any religious belief no matter if it is a central tenet of your religion.

Quote:
2. "Exercise of religion" means the PRACTICE OR OBSERVANCE OF
RELIGION, INCLUDING THE ability to act or refusal to act in a manner
substantially motivated by a religious belief, whether or not the exercise is
compulsory or central to a larger system of religious belief.

Old 02-20-2014, 08:24 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,211,524 times
Quote:
Please show me where it allows businesses to discriminate?

And Chic Fil A would disagree with you.
http://www.azleg.gov/legtext/51leg/2r/bills/sb1062p.pdf
Quote:
"Exercise of religion" means the PRACTICE OR OBSERVANCE OF
RELIGION, INCLUDING THE ability to act or refusal to act in a manner
substantially motivated by a religious belief,
whether or not the exercise is
compulsory or central to a larger system of religious belief.
CFA would disagree with me on what? They were not discriminated against. Their stores are still open and still selling crappy chicken.

Old 02-20-2014, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Diamond View Post
No...unlike liberals, a non-liberal just wouldn't shop there. You, on the other hand, howl and whine and moan until you've hounded the business into the ground.

That's the difference...

If you don't like their business practices, don't utilize their services....and move on. Is it so damned difficult for you to understand?
That is a critical difference between many liberals and conservatives, it's something I observed as well. Many liberals cannot seem to handle different opinions or view points, they can't live and let live despite their claims of being open minded and tolerant. A simple disagreement can offend them.

I see things I disagree with all the time, I just ignore it. If I dislike the message of a song on the radio, such as Same Love by Mackelmoor, I just change the station. Imagine if there was a pop song on the radio promoting Heterosexual Marriage and the Bible ? Liberals would lose their minds! They would be out for blood.

Old 02-20-2014, 08:33 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,649,482 times
Quote:
If my fiancee and I go out for dinner together, people kinda know we are a couple, just like when a male and a female go out together you can tell who is a couple and who isn't.
Yes, if you frequent some businesses regularly, eventually people will know. But what about, say, a supermarket; a golf course; an amusement park? It seems that those business also would be allowed to discriminate, but how would they know who is gay out of the hundreds/thousands of people who come and go in a day?

Anyway, my comment was meant to be sarcastic.

Arizona and those other states that tried to do this are just pathetic.

Old 02-20-2014, 08:37 AM

Quote:
http://www.azleg.gov/legtext/51leg/2r/bills/sb1062p.pdf

CFA would disagree with me on what? They were not discriminated against. Their stores are still open and still selling crappy chicken.
Again no where does the proposed bill say anything about allowing businesses to discriminate against homosexuals. Only a business has the right to refuse a speciality service on the basis of religious values. Businesses would still have to serve gay couples at their restaurants wether they want to or not. They could only refuse them a service such as wanting the restaurant to cater to their gay wedding or something along those lines.

Wether you like it or not, we do have Religiously Rights in this country. It is outlined in the Constitution. Unfortunately, those Religious Rights are being discriminated against by gay activst groups.

And the point about Chic Fil A is that they are still in business and doing great despite being owned by a Christian family. Which destroys your argument that religious people should not open businesses. Gay activsts did try to shut down Chic Fil A simply because the owner expressed a different opinion, and Chic Fil A won.

That is the difference between us. I know there are businesses such as Pepsi that support Gay Marriage and I still buy Pepsi because I don't care. But if a business has an opinion you disagree with you want to shut them dow , because in your world only your views should be tolerated.

Old 02-20-2014, 08:41 AM

2,672 posts, read 2,718,496 times
I dont think this is going to go anywhere. What happens if you are in the middle of nowhere in Arizona and need services at the only gas station/store in 20 miles and its 105 degrees outside and the store owner sees a Rainbow sticker on your car and refuses to serve you because of his belief that you are gay? I remember Rand Paul making this same argument that businesses should be able to discriminate against anyone and then backtracking the argument. If anything this shows what happens when an electorate votes in a bunch of Tea Partiers. This isnt going anywhere though Brewer will probably have something to say before the end of the day and it will be over.

Arizona Senate OKs bill boosting service refusal

Old 02-20-2014, 08:50 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times
Quote:
People who say these kinds of bills promote discrimination are wrong. These bills are being made to protect businesses and religious rights from discrimination.

No where does it say that a business can refuse service to a gay person just for being gay, they cannot hang up signs that say '' no gays allowed '' or anything like that. It simply says that a business owner can be protected for denying a special service (such as a cake for a gay wedding) on the basis of their religious values.

These kinds of bills are necessary as gay activsts are becoming more and more militant, and often do violate the Religious Rights of others.
So basically it is a vague bill that allows discrimination. Can you spell lawsuits?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies