Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 07:56 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,221,070 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
Sounds like a great plan to me

Might as well go back to not serving black people as well. Either way, I'd be out lol.

Edit: What about bisexuals? Are they welcome? **Might be back in due to past history
This bill is so widely written that people could claim that serving blacks, or women, or Asians, or anyone is against their religion. It is not narrowly tailored to just sexual orientation.

Old 02-20-2014, 07:57 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,204,331 times
Well it is good to know Arizona is keeping lawyers employed by creating bills that violate the constitution.

Old 02-20-2014, 07:59 AM

878 posts, read 738,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
My homestate politicians back at their normal idiocy again. And whaddya know..led by yet ANOTHER East Valley idiot..as usual.

I used to be proud to be an East Valley native, but I ain't so sure anymore. Thank goodness I'm no longer in Maricopa County. SMH..

Arizona...comfortably maintaining its reputation as having the dumbest, most insane politicians in the western world.
Protecting ones religious beliefs from discrimination is not dumb.

Old 02-20-2014, 07:59 AM

769 posts, read 1,007,712 times
LOL, yeah, good luck with that one.

Some people are still trying to dig their heels in I guess. Doesn't matter, the ban overturns are stacking up and pretty soon the SCOTUS will overturn all of them and SSM will be legal nationwide as it should be. I'd guess that by the end of 2016 it'll be legal everywhere in the US, if not sooner.

Old 02-20-2014, 08:00 AM

6,500 posts, read 6,041,078 times
I dont think people should be denied service because of what you think they are. However, I do believe they should be able to deny certain services that would essentially honor or glorify their lifestyles. For example, a gay wedding cake.

Old 02-20-2014, 08:01 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,654,477 times
Will gay people have to wear armbands now in Arizona?

I mean, when I meet a new person, I have no idea if they are gay or not, nor does it even cross my mind to wonder.

If this law passes, these gay people are just going to HAVE TO let businesses know they're gay!

Old 02-20-2014, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt11 View Post
I dont think people should be denied service because of what you think they are. However, I do believe they should be able to deny certain services that would essentially honor or glorify their lifestyles. For example, a gay wedding cake.
What is a gay wedding cake? Cakes do not have sexual orientations. There is not a different recipe for "straight"wedding cakes and "gay" wedding cakes.

If you open a business to the general public selling cakes, then you sell cakes to the general public. If your religious beliefs prevent you from selling cakes to the general public, then don't open a bakery or open a private membership bakery club.

Old 02-20-2014, 08:04 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,173,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
I guess that a Muslim or Jewish owner of a business may then deny service to a Christian?
Yes. And frankly, I have no desire to give them my money if they feel that way, anyway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
I do find it interesting that the notification amendment to this bill was scrapped. If you want to live by your beliefs, why not advertise that you live by those beliefs?
Discriminate all you want, but you should have to put a list in the store window of everyone you refuse to serve. That way people could decide if they want to spend money in your store.

Come on people be proud of your beliefs. What are you afraid of?
I totally agree with you. If you want to take that stand, then do it and accept the economic repercussions.

Old 02-20-2014, 08:05 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,204,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
What is a gay wedding cake? Cakes do not have sexual orientations. There is not a different recipe for "straight"wedding cakes and "gay" wedding cakes.

If you open a business to the general public selling cakes, then you sell cakes to the general public. If your religious beliefs prevent you from selling cakes to the general public, then don't open a bakery or open a private membership bakery club.
I guess it is when you go into an adult bakery and they have one male cake having sex with another male cake, it is really awkward and delicious.

Old 02-20-2014, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Will gay people have to wear armbands now in Arizona?

I mean, when I meet a new person, I have no idea if they are gay or not, nor does it even cross my mind to wonder.

If this law passes, these gay people are just going to HAVE TO let businesses know they're gay!
If my fiancee and I go out for dinner together, people kinda know we are a couple, just like when a male and a female go out together you can tell who is a couple and who isn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies