Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 12:30 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,463,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
Didn't even read the OP, did we?

They used to be. But they have become infected with parasites, who are dragging down the entire state with them.

Time to cut them out.

If they are so productive, they won't have any problem surviving, right?
Silicon Valley is full of "parasites"?

Do you have any familiarity with California whatsoever outside your own county?

If you want to see what it's like to support a bunch of "parasites," just wait until SD and OC have to support all of those impoverished communities in the Inland Empire and southern San Joaquin Valley without any assistance from the generous taxpayers of Santa Clara, San Mateo, San Francisco, and Marin Counties.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2014, 12:32 PM

924 posts, read 667,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I did read the rest of your post and is stunk of BS. Prove to me the rest of California is more productive than those two metros? And to answer your question, LA and SF would be just fine without the rest of the state.

So I guess we should break Texas up into 5-6 states as well. Texas is way too big of a state.
I'd rather it stay together and continue turning blue so we can keep hearing the biggest nanny states threaten to secede.

Old 02-20-2014, 12:34 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,463,986 times
And contrary to the Republican fantasy that this would favor the GOP at the expense of Democrats, the map as drawn (absurdly, since Marin County doesn't belong with Sacramento at all) would result in the creation of 2 solid-blue states, 2 solid-red ones, and 2 "purple" ones.

This is all just a big, expensive tantrum from a techno-libertarian Silicon Valley entrepreneur who is tired of paying state taxes to support the "parasites" in the Central Valley and other impoverished red parts of the state. But hey, if he wants to waste $100M creating jobs for signature-gatherers and sign-makers, it's his money.

Old 02-20-2014, 12:36 PM

4,582 posts, read 3,409,523 times
I still want to know how I can actively support this.

Old 02-20-2014, 12:38 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,072,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
Didn't even read the OP, did we?

They used to be. But they have become infected with parasites, who are dragging down the entire state with them.

Time to cut them out.

If they are so productive, they won't have any problem surviving, right?
They certainly won't have any problem - in fact, this proposal was done by a Silicon Valley exec specifically because the bay area is so much wealthier than the rest of the state, and would become even more wealthy if it didn't have to subsidize the poverty stricken (and conservative) central and northern parts of the state.

Old 02-20-2014, 12:40 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,707,101 times
Not this again. Six states is stupid. However a North and South is viable.

Old 02-20-2014, 12:43 PM

6,756 posts, read 8,582,712 times
Jefferson has considered itself a seperate state for a long time now, so you are again looking at 3 states.

Why would anyone want to bust up Texas? it's a good place to keep all the Texans and you need quite a bit of room to fit the egos

Old 02-20-2014, 12:46 PM

4,582 posts, read 3,409,523 times
Quote:
I did read the rest of your post and is stunk of BS. Prove to me the rest of California is more productive than those two metros? And to answer your question, LA and SF would be just fine without the rest of the state.

So I guess we should break Texas up into 5-6 states as well. Texas is way too big of a state.
Funny, the original bill approved by Congress for Texas statehood provided for a future splitting of Texas into 5 states when and if the population decided they wanted it.

Congress did not like the idea of admitting either Texas or California into the union as such large geographical entities, but due to the restraints of the Missouri Compromise, and the discovery of gold here, their hand was forced.

Old 02-20-2014, 12:53 PM

493 posts, read 783,510 times
oh they think theyre gonna unload frisco on santa clara county do they? BALLOT FAIL!

isolate boystown to itself where nobody else is stuck with their problems and then we'll talk.

Old 02-20-2014, 12:55 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,527,199 times
Quote:
The SF metro and LA metro aren't the productive parts of the state? Sounds like you don't know much about California. Also, what is this obsession with splitting up California? Why not obsess about splitting up Texas?
Yeah that yellow part on the map with Silicon Valley and San Francisco is an economic wasteland, sign me up for the Methtopia/Republic of Weed that would be the State of Jefferson...

Last edited by Deezus; 02-20-2014 at 01:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies