Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2014, 08:17 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
There is too much stigma in our society about what can be a financially wise decision. Whether the kid is a deadbeat or a doctor, who has the right to judge them for living with the family they love and saving money? Obviously if the parents don't like the situation they can set whatever limits or make the kid move, but my experience has shown me that moving out doesn't necessarily make one behave as an adult.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2014, 10:55 PM

3,022 posts, read 2,274,221 times
Wages are down costs are up there are a lot of unemployed what did you expect?

Old 02-25-2014, 07:08 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
More than 70% of singles, aged 20-29 lived with their parents in the 1940's, a level that not since has been realized.

In 2000:
36% of women and 42% of men aged 20-29 lived with a parent.

In 2005:
39% of women and 46% of men aged 20-29 lived with a parent.

Analysis: 'Boomerang' generation mostly hype - USATODAY.com

Adult children are living at home longer than they did in the 70's all over the world.
yep. we wouldn't want facts to get in the way of a good narrative

Old 02-25-2014, 01:01 PM

275 posts, read 193,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isee-you View Post
High taxes killing small business but you can't tell dems that. They just keep blaming everyone else but democratic policies.
And stealing working capital from small business has nothing to do with it? Geeze with your mindset it's no wonder people can't get their finances together.

Old 02-25-2014, 01:09 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt1984 View Post
Wages are down costs are up there are a lot of unemployed what did you expect?
Real wages have stagnated since 1973. Since then, there has been a long term trend towards adult children continuing to live with their parents. None of this is unique to the U.S.

More than 70% of singles, aged 20-29 lived with their parents in the 1940's, a level that not since has been realized.

In 2000:
36% of women and 42% of men aged 20-29 lived with a parent.

In 2005:
39% of women and 46% of men aged 20-29 lived with a parent.

Analysis: 'Boomerang' generation mostly hype - USATODAY.com

Adult children are living at home longer than they did in the 70's all over the world.

Old 02-25-2014, 01:25 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMERCAT View Post
This is the inevitable result of our greedy CEOs outsourcing millions of American jobs.
Hmmm, I would have guessed too spoiled/immature to take a job they think is beneath them and go out on their own and live with roommates until they can afford a place of their own. It didn't used to be about living good. It used to be more about breaking free of your parents.

My opinion is this is why the youth of America accepts a nanny state. They still take orders from their parents in their 20s about their personal life so what's the big deal about taking orders from the government about their personal life.

Old 02-25-2014, 01:52 PM

1,720 posts, read 1,316,309 times
I used my employer's tuition reimbursement program to attend school.
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
You had a luxury that most low-wage workers can only dream of having.
Yep! I asked about this exact thing in my second job out of college to move up in the government agency I was working for and you know what I was told when I asked management about it? And by the way I asked about it because I heard they did the tuition reimbursement myself and older relatives and friend's took it as a given that they would do it if you got a certain grade like a B or higher in the class. Anyway I went to management and asked about their tuition reimbursement program, this is in about '03 or '04, because I couldn't afford the $300.00 A CREDIT meaning $900.00 a class on my own for the program and they told me and I quote verbatim:

"WE DON'T DO THAT ANYMORE."

This is yet another advantage and perk that the older generation enjoyed that is no longer available. Almost all government agencies and a lot of companies used to have tuition reimbursement plans if you achieved a certain grade per class. No more.

Old 02-25-2014, 02:01 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,227,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CK78 View Post
I used my employer's tuition reimbursement program to attend school.

Yep! I asked about this exact thing in my second job out of college to move up in the government agency I was working for and you know what I was told when I asked management about it? And by the way I asked about it because I heard they did the tuition reimbursement myself and older relatives and friend's took it as a given that they would do it if you got a certain grade like a B or higher in the class. Anyway I went to management and asked about their tuition reimbursement program, this is in about '03 or '04, because I couldn't afford the $300.00 A CREDIT meaning $900.00 a class on my own for the program and they told me and I quote verbatim:

"WE DON'T DO THAT ANYMORE."

This is yet another advantage and perk that the older generation enjoyed that is no longer available. Almost all government agencies and a lot of companies used to have tuition reimbursement plans if you achieved a certain grade per class. No more.
It's programs like those that cut into corporate profit.

Old 02-25-2014, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
I agree but you have to be older than 14 to have a real job. It used to be they could cut lawns, shovel snow, run errands and whatever. Now we have lawn services and other businesses that do this. So where do you want them to get jobs?
Exactly, lawn businesses are a dime a dozen in my parts and it's 90% adults who don't have "real" jobs with benefits, 401K etc... doing them with H.S. or college kids who help during summer break.

Heck in the next month or so I'll see at least two or three different lawn business trucks A DAY almost everyday. And these people do this for a living and depend on the money. The days of kiddies cutting lawns for spending money are pretty much done in my parts and have been done for about 10 years. That's when I started noticing more and more of these businesses.

Old 02-25-2014, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Very small percentage of homes have a landscaper do their weekly yard work. I'm not convinced that there are not yards to mow. I'm convinced that there are parents who refuse to put their kids to work and support them in their endeavor.

Work permits are available starting at the age of 14 in most states. But it requires parental involvement...... like driving the teen to get the permit and to the job. That's the problem, as I see it. Lazy parents spawning lazy kids.
These businesses depend on the grass growing months to make their money so they solicit business fairly aggressively. Believe me if I wanted a landscaper/grass cutter I could have one extremely easily. Point is, yes there are still a majority of homes that don't have a landscaper but guess what? That's because they don't want one. They prefer to do their own. Me and both my neighbors are like this and many others. So just because there are many homes who don't use grass cutting services does not mean they're available to have their grass cut every 2 two weeks or week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies