Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2014, 07:16 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redroses777 View Post
Nothing wrong with living at home if the adult kid works or attends school. I think a large part of the problem is our culture of debt. When I have children, I am going to advise them to avoid debt and hopefully work their way through community college or find scholarships. If a kid isn't smart enough to get a scholarship, then 4 year college isn't for them. Student loan debt just isn't worth it anymore. It is keeping too many young adults in a prison known as mom's house.

I know people who have managed to move out and work a $10 an hour job and do quite well, but they don't have huge amounts of debt. Best to have the kids work at a young age and teach them to avoid debt at all costs. Dave Ramsey is right.
The idea that all smart kids get scholarships to pay for most or all of their college is erroneous.
https://www.fastweb.com/financial-ai...arships?page=4
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2014, 07:19 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,221,200 times
In many countries like Italy, kids don't move out til they're married.

No big deal.

Old 02-25-2014, 07:22 PM

3,410 posts, read 4,469,703 times
I wouldn't mind my kids living with me if they were in their 20s, unmarried, and it was simply a cost saving measure. There's a difference between mooching and living smart. I'd much rather have them saving/investing for their retirement and down payment on a home rather than throwing away their money on rent(and let's face it, most people aren't buying homes on the West Coast or Northeast when they are in they are in their 20s).

I lived with my folks from when I was 25 until I was 28, and I don't regret it at all. I saved about $50k and I almost doubled that money in investments.

Last edited by TylerJAX; 02-25-2014 at 07:33 PM..

Old 03-03-2014, 04:44 AM

3,157 posts, read 2,734,881 times
I blame the parents 100%. Any disgust or contempt directed at their kids is seriously misplaced.

Are these parents so co-dependent that they can't give up thier identity as parental authorities? Does the idea of having an empty nest scare the bejesus out of them? Will the couple not be able to stand each other's company with no kids around to molly-coddle?

As easy as it is to condemn the kids, they are in a twisted way, victims of their parent's incompetence.

Old 03-03-2014, 07:07 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,982,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
According to your links, 14% of those between 24-34 are living at home.
They are less likely to have graduated college.
Education is an important predictor of whether young adults live at home.

Those who are uneducated and without skills, are typically employed in low wage jobs.
Not always. A friend's 30 year old son has a dual major, paid for by mom and dad. After graduating, he first decided that he wasn't really "that into" the job that his major would provide. Then, when pressured by his parents to get a job, he set his sights on high paying jobs, completely out of his skill set. Finally, he decided that he wanted to pursue his "dream" of being an artist. He lived in his parents' basement (literally) while he made minimum wage at Kinkos. After trying unsuccessfully to get him to move out, his parents bought a duplex (as an investment), where he now lives rent free. They were so sick of him being in their house, it was worth it to them.

He is highly educated, graduated from college, and still makes minimum wage.

The blame lies in helicopter parents that can't let go of their children, and want to control them well into adulthood. These parents also spent a lifetime telling him he could be whatever he wanted to be, as long as he went to college. They forgot to tell him about the "paying your dues" part. Now, they're paying the price of their poor parenting.

I have no sympathy for my friend and her husband, who have had to postpone retirement because of their son. And I have to tell her to be quiet when she complains that he can't find a good girl to date. Seriously? What woman would want such a loser?

Old 03-03-2014, 07:52 AM

59,111 posts, read 27,340,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMERCAT View Post
This is the inevitable result of our greedy CEOs outsourcing millions of American jobs.

'According to a Gallup survey , 3 out of every 10 adults under 35 are still living at home.

Pew Research Center analysis found that 36 percent of Americans 18 to 31 years old were still living with their parents, the highest level ever recorded.

So what is causing all of this?

More Americans than ever before seem to be living in a state of “perpetual adolescenceâ€.

The total amount of student loan debt in the United States has risen to a brand new all-time record of 1.08 trillion dollars.

-Student loan debt accounted for 3.1 percent of all consumer debt in 2003. Today, it accounts for 9.4 percent of all consumer debt.

Meanwhile, our young adults are still really struggling to find jobs.'

29 Percent Of All U.S. Adults Under The Age Of 35 Are Living With Their Parents | The Daily Sheeple
"This is the inevitable result of our greedy CEOs outsourcing millions of American jobs."

I give you credit for having one of the most imaginative minds around. But, that is all I give you credit for.

Old 03-03-2014, 08:05 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,415,445 times
Seems awfully high.

I am under 35 and the only people I know living with their parents in that age group were/are two:

1) One guy whose mother actually moved in with HIM for a year after she lost her job;

2) My little brother (23) who just broke up with his girlfriend and left the place they were renting together. Now he's paying rent to live with my mother, whom I suspect is happy to have him back if just for a bit longer. He plans on saving money during this time.

Old 03-04-2014, 05:45 AM

43,682 posts, read 44,425,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc08 View Post
whats wrong with staying home?
In many countries adult children continue to live with their parents until they get married.

Old 03-04-2014, 08:04 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,745,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMERCAT View Post
So what is causing all of this?
depending on how you look at it ...

a. high home prices / high cost of renting
or
b. stagnant wages

basically, home prices have been rising pretty consistently since the mid 1980's, while wages and employment have not.

in theory, low interest rates should be a positive factor for home buyers, but in practice, lending standards are too tight to connect buyers to sellers, and the downpayment needed to afford a home is astronomical.

Old 03-04-2014, 08:11 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,745,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Not always. A friend's 30 year old son
she didn't say always. she said typically, and an anecdote is not a meaningful response.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies