Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2014, 06:04 AM

3,022 posts, read 2,275,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
1 -

2 -

1) Other parts of the world offer cheaper labor costs...that is exactly right. No one can deny that.

2) What we earn does not keep up with the cost of living....well, that depends. Cost of living meaning what we have grown accustomed to, or do we all really, in fact, earn enough to have a roof over our heads, food to eat, and heat in the winter?

The fact is, we have a standard that we don't want to go below, and we then claim that we need to be paid more. We blame everything on the "greedy" rich, and we vote to tax the snot out of them. The rich then leave to go to other countries where they can find cheap labor, and we lose jobs. As was stated, most people are not equipped for those remaining jobs that require higher skills, so we are stuck with jobs that pay lower. And then we can't afford to live like we want to live. So we turn around and blame the greedy rich, we state we should be paid more, and the cycle continues.

The fact of the matter is, we have no one to blame but ourselves.
You are really just trying to skip the real issue here aren't you? This has nothing to do with people with overspending and if it did you could at least show some evidence that it did. Trying to say the poor overspend is just your way of saying the poor should be happy with their miserable lives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2014, 06:41 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,899,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt1984 View Post
You are really just trying to skip the real issue here aren't you? This has nothing to do with people with overspending and if it did you could at least show some evidence that it did. Trying to say the poor overspend is just your way of saying the poor should be happy with their miserable lives.
My life was not miserable when I was poor.

Old 03-16-2014, 09:34 AM

15,866 posts, read 21,452,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
I have seen cheap studio apartments in Chicago for as little as $575 a month. Relatively safe and somewhat desirable locations too. These are usually quite small, but if you're just starting out, you don't need much space. Leave some crap at mom and dad's until you can afford something bigger.

As for entry level jobs, $12/hr might be about average, possibly a bit less for some entry level blue collar jobs. It's not hard to find those types of jobs north of the city. Unfortunately, the concentration of blue collar jobs have pulled huge volumes of illegal migrants, who in turn, have depressed/held down the wages.
But you're talking about Chicago - I am not. $575 would be considered a low budget for a shared apartment, much less a studio, here in Boston. Not totally impossible to find if you're ok with 3 or 4 roommates and not being close to public transit, but a few hundred below average.

As far as space, all of my stuff currently fits in my 10x10 bedroom (that doubles as my living room and office) and a corner of the kitchen. I could easily live in a 300 or 400 sq foot space - but not willing to pay close to $1000 to do it (and with a cat, would rather live with roommates and be able to shut my cat out of my room at night than have him jumping all over me in a studio).

Chicago is a great city to start your career off in because it is so cheap. I've had several colleagues leave to move to Chicago recently. One just moved from what I would consider a cheaper suburb of Boston to downtown Chicago and is saving $500 for a much nicer, much more convenient apartment. Heat is even included! I'll be able to move in a few years once I'm out of the relapse fear woods and get the clearance to leave from my medical team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabottom View Post
what about an efficiency apartment?
Still expensive and fairly limited. I've seen efficiency apartments on Craigslist and they tend to be likely illegal basement or attic apartments, and go for $900 - plus you have to factor in reduced cooking capabilities.

My real point wasn't so much the pure cost but the dramatic increase in cost of living in comparison to stagnant wages.

Old 03-16-2014, 11:50 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,037,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
But you're talking about Chicago - I am not. $575 would be considered a low budget for a shared apartment, much less a studio, here in Boston. Not totally impossible to find if you're ok with 3 or 4 roommates and not being close to public transit, but a few hundred below average.

As far as space, all of my stuff currently fits in my 10x10 bedroom (that doubles as my living room and office) and a corner of the kitchen. I could easily live in a 300 or 400 sq foot space - but not willing to pay close to $1000 to do it (and with a cat, would rather live with roommates and be able to shut my cat out of my room at night than have him jumping all over me in a studio).

Chicago is a great city to start your career off in because it is so cheap. I've had several colleagues leave to move to Chicago recently. One just moved from what I would consider a cheaper suburb of Boston to downtown Chicago and is saving $500 for a much nicer, much more convenient apartment. Heat is even included! I'll be able to move in a few years once I'm out of the relapse fear woods and get the clearance to leave from my medical team.

Still expensive and fairly limited. I've seen efficiency apartments on Craigslist and they tend to be likely illegal basement or attic apartments, and go for $900 - plus you have to factor in reduced cooking capabilities.

My real point wasn't so much the pure cost but the dramatic increase in cost of living in comparison to stagnant wages.

An efficiency is $900 where? In Manhattan?

Old 03-16-2014, 04:03 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Others are living off government which acts like parents ;so I don't see the point. Is Op and others saying we should kick them all out?
While I don't entirely agree with your comments about the government, I do agree there's nothing wrong with family helping out. That's what the hard right types say about people on welfare and other types of assistance.

Old 03-16-2014, 04:16 PM

4,538 posts, read 4,813,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabottom View Post
Looks like his plan is to take over the house once my mom becomes older.
Maybe your mom is enabling him because she wants his company... then it becomes a little more symbiotic.

Old 03-16-2014, 04:19 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,037,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMERCAT View Post
Maybe your mom is enabling him because she wants his company... then it becomes a little more symbiotic.

That can be true too because she would be alone if he left

Old 03-16-2014, 04:21 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,853,757 times
Question *

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMERCAT
29 Percent Of All U.S. Adults Under The Age Of 35 Are Living With Their Parents
Who cares really......No biggie!

Old 03-16-2014, 05:24 PM

5,899 posts, read 5,798,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc08 View Post
whats wrong with staying home?
^

This. After all--saving (additional) money is an extremely good thing.

Old 03-16-2014, 07:03 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,732,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
My life was not miserable when I was poor.
When I was poor my life was a crap sandwich....Now that I have lots of bread I don't have to eat much crap!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies