Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2014, 09:57 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,962,294 times

Advertisements

I am thankful for this thread. It reminded me I forgot 2 items I need tonight at WM. I'll have to go back Sunday.

Old 02-22-2014, 10:04 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,443,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
You also forgot..

Since food stamps and welfare spending by the federal government stimulate, (ask those very same left wing kooks to explain that one)

Wal Mart is actually helping the economy by paying their employers low wages to allow them to collect federal benefits so it can be spent..

Which is a bad thing for taxpayers.

Old 02-22-2014, 10:10 PM

2,240 posts, read 1,385,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartleby9 View Post
no it's not. Only in right-wing bizarro world. Who paved the roads that you drive on? Who funded the schools that you attended? Who do you call when your house is on fire?

This ME ME ME..look at ME attitude by right-wingers is shocking.
I paved the roads and funded the schools and the fire department! I am a taxpayer. We ALL pay!

Old 02-22-2014, 10:18 PM

1,709 posts, read 2,165,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizjo View Post
I paved the roads and funded the schools and the fire department! I am a taxpayer. We ALL pay!
But so did all the other tax payers. You hardly did it on your own, but you did contribute like everyone else. We're all in this together.

Old 02-22-2014, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OuttaTheLouBurbs View Post
But so did all the other tax payers. You hardly did it on your own, but you did contribute like everyone else. We're all in this together.
and we all have the right to shop where we want, even when that offends the SEIU.

Old 02-23-2014, 12:43 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,920,039 times
Hourly Walmart clerk jobs are ENTRY level jobs. It's possible to work your way up to a decent salary though. Retail is one of the few remaining industries where just a high school diploma holder through promotions can make a decent salary. You could one day be the store manager pulling over 6 g's.

I don't shop at Walmart because of the trashy clientèle and crappy low quality products. I'd rather pay a little more elsewhere for something that's going to last.

Old 02-23-2014, 01:29 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,444,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryManback View Post
I can buy all my basic needs at 1 store for cheap. That means I have more money to spend or save. Thus, WalMart has increased my prosperity. Explain why this is bad.
It's bad because WalMart had to move production of all those products to China in order for them to be cheap, which means that all the American manufacturing workers lost jobs and were forced into a life where they can only get ****ty service jobs at places that treat them like dogs...like WalMart. And that's not good for the economy. Your cheap socks come at a very high price.

Old 02-23-2014, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
It's bad because WalMart had to move production of all those products to China in order for them to be cheap, which means that all the American manufacturing workers lost jobs and were forced into a life where they can only get ****ty service jobs at places that treat them like dogs...like WalMart. And that's not good for the economy. Your cheap socks come at a very high price.

They were going anyway. Go into Target, KMart, Sears, J C Penneys, Macys, Dillards, and you will find no American made socks.

Moving them offshore was the correct thing to do; we need to move up the food chain in terms of the level of jobs we do, if we wish to retain our dynamic , world leading GDP, economy.

Clinging to the past is a certain path to failure.

Old 02-23-2014, 04:14 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,879,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Walmart is the largest importer in the US.

US consumers are unwilling to pay a premium for US goods. Yet many sure do like to blame government for the decades of job losses due to globalization.

Not a big fan of Ricardo I see.

Old 02-23-2014, 04:21 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,879,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
Goods may or many not become cheaper, but there's a lot more in a person's personal budget than just goods.

For the record, I don't care how Wal-mart does their business, but it's absolute poison that a rich established corporation should get free incentive money from any government to do what is normally a part of their business.
I do disagree with what local governments do when they give WalMart incentives the Mom and Pops do not get. I do believe in a level playing field. You have to blame the actions on local governments, not WalMart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies