Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 08:23 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times

Advertisements

Just so we can protect ourselves from rogue cops like this one.

Woman Dragged To Jail For Recording Cop
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2014, 08:32 AM

1,256 posts, read 4,196,028 times
In Maryland you can get a ticket/arrested for recording a cop; I believe other states also have similar laws - and I'm fairly certain those laws eventually will be thrown out...but not yet.

Old 02-23-2014, 12:22 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,731,507 times
in Russia the drivers have a lot of dashboard cams,, that's how they got so much footage of the meteor that exploded over there..

Old 02-23-2014, 12:28 PM

15,531 posts, read 10,501,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sullyguy View Post
In Maryland you can get a ticket/arrested for recording a cop; I believe other states also have similar laws - and I'm fairly certain those laws eventually will be thrown out...but not yet.
I'm pretty sure you can film them in California and Texas.

Old 02-23-2014, 02:16 PM

3,046 posts, read 2,384,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
I'm pretty sure you can film them in California and Texas.
You can film them anywhere. You can't make a law that directly conflicts with the first amendment.

Old 02-23-2014, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krichton View Post
You can film them anywhere. You can't make a law that directly conflicts with the first amendment.
I have to admit I do not know for sure, however, I believe the Maryland law was based on "recording without permission" that is often used for the wiretapping statutes - that is, BOTH parties must be aware of and have given permission for the recording to take place.

In Virginia, where I live, only one party has to know about the recording.

As such, I don't believe the 1st amendment has anything to do with this one.

Note, too, that some court somewhere MAY have said recording in public is okay, period, thus throwing most of these anti-police-recording laws out the window en-masse but, not being a lawyer, I have no idea if that has happened yet.

Old 02-23-2014, 02:26 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,461,656 times
Quote:
I have to admit I do not know for sure, however, I believe the Maryland law was based on "recording without permission" that is often used for the wiretapping statutes - that is, BOTH parties must be aware of and have given permission for the recording to take place.

In Virginia, where I live, only one party has to know about the recording.

As such, I don't believe the 1st amendment has anything to do with this one.

Note, too, that some court somewhere MAY have said recording in public is okay, period, thus throwing most of these anti-police-recording laws out the window en-masse but, not being a lawyer, I have no idea if that has happened yet.
Well, courts have ruled that there's generally not an expectation of privacy in public. The 1st Circuit and several lower courts have ruled specifically that cops may be recorded. SCOTUS has declined to hear a case involving these laws.

Old 02-23-2014, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Well, courts have ruled that there's generally not an expectation of privacy in public, but these laws haven't been thrown out federally.
After making my last post I did a simple search to see what the law(s) are/were all about - apparently the Maryland law - which may be void, BTW, if other things I read are valid - said you could not record VOICE without permission of all parties - and THAT was based off the wiretapping laws already on the Maryland books.

Again, in Virginia the wiretapping laws may be written differently even more than the "only one party has to know" bit.

Old 02-23-2014, 02:39 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,461,656 times
Quote:
After making my last post I did a simple search to see what the law(s) are/were all about - apparently the Maryland law - which may be void, BTW, if other things I read are valid - said you could not record VOICE without permission of all parties - and THAT was based off the wiretapping laws already on the Maryland books.

Again, in Virginia the wiretapping laws may be written differently even more than the "only one party has to know" bit.
Right after I posted that I remembered that, while SCOTUS hadn't ruled on this, some lower courts had. I looked it up. See my edit.

Old 02-23-2014, 02:44 PM

I looked up the Maryland law on wiretapping - it's still "on the books" and, as far as THIS non-lawyer poster reading it can see, still prohibits recording the police: Maryland recording law

Other cases may have, as noted earlier, thrown this law out as being invalid in the police-recording scenario.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies